Serious question about balance

#1RufusNKenRSTierPosted 6/28/2012 10:48:06 PM
Try to keep the trolling to a minimum, if possible, because *and I know I am being hopelessly naive here* I'd like some serious answers:

Do you think that Blizzard has been a bit too heavy handed with some of the nerfs, and if so, why (and if not, why not)?

I don't mean the Demon Hunter smoke nerf (although I really think they could have handled it with a lighter touch- say... by increasing the cooldown a bit, or the cost. Cutting the duration so drastically pretty much requires you to take the time extending rune, or at the very least use some means of enhancing your movement speed).

I mean things like the Boon of Protection Rune.

Now, I leveled up my Monk pretty late, so I never got to experience the awesomeness- but it seems to me that as it is now, it is useless, even though all they really needed to do is add a cooldown timer to Boon of Protection- and IIRC they even have rune-specific cooldowns, so its not like the code doesn't exist...

Alternatively, if they wanted to keep the spamability (for the base Mantra of Healing effect) they could add in a rule that says "Players cannot benefit from this (the shielding) more than once every 30 seconds" or something. Hell I'd even be fine with 15. Although I guess with four monks that could get seriously IMBA depending on how they counted it.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing or are they pretty much going into panic mode every time the numbers (showing how many players are succeeding at what level with which skills/runes) show a spike, and playing whack-a-mole with a sledgehammer?
---
The Best Poster on Gamefaqs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/261-politics/59182173
#2Haelion_Posted 6/28/2012 10:57:22 PM
RufusNKenRSTier posted...
Is there something obvious that I'm missing or are they pretty much going into panic mode every time the numbers (showing how many players are succeeding at what level with which skills/runes) show a spike, and playing whack-a-mole with a sledgehammer?

I think they're trying to just overnerf anything that seems too strong until they can put out a patch to balance the skills more, probably 1.04 or 1.05.

In my opinion their goal isn't attainable, but they wanted to have a lot of viable builds and still have a super challenging difficulty (inferno). It didn't quite work out since everyone uses the same builds because they are forced to.

It's all bandaids until they can make big changes to a lot of skills. A lot of them are unfortunately heavy handed and unnecessary in their pursuit of balance. They'd rather have a useless skill in the skill pool than an overused one.
---
GT- War Mouse Zug
Justice League Member: Bernie Mac
#3RisenTerranPosted 6/28/2012 11:09:35 PM
Well, they nerfed the cheap skills and nerfed the enemies, so it's really not hurting you.

I agree with what blizzard is doing here 100%. I just wish I could get away with some fun builds on my wiz, but since im on HC I really can never do anything but a skill or two changed now and then.

I'd like to play Fire Wiz or something, but that is just ASKING to die.
---
Ya, Im the guy who used trig to prove the Black Comet was far bigger than the Ark. There is now proof that Shadow's Chaos Control cant be rivaled by Sonic's.
#4LansfieldPosted 6/28/2012 11:13:34 PM
In the end, you'll end up with only a handful of working skills. Not much of a choice really. I used to like Spectral blade but using it at that range is just suicide. Random target skills are also useless now if you want to survive.