this game is better than diablo 2

#1gatz900Posted 7/1/2012 9:15:23 AM
After going back and forth, I still think this game is overall an improvement over diablo 2. There are definitely a couple things they need to fix of course. Will probably be flamed (sadly for supporting the game on its own forum) but here is why:

1) Rares having more value than legendaries and set items is a good thing. This game uses the RNG to the fullest. At first I hated that the legendaries and set items were so much weaker than a lot of rares. However I understand now why blizzard made diablo 3 like this. In diablo 2, the economy was nothing more than hoarding a select few items that were sought from everyone, and only those who could farm other good items, attain duped sojs, etc could get these items. Popular runewords were difficult to get. With rares having the ability to be better, this allows anyone to find something really good. Finally, a lot of set items and legendaries in diablo 2 were frankly worthless and just a tease to pick up.

2) Boss runs were way too repetitive. Hunting elites and champions actually are a challenge and I find myself enjoying it. Yes some affixes are annoying, but this actually makes item farming more exciting when you don't know what to expect. It actually takes some skill and it is rewarding to kill the elites and champion monsters.

3) Skill points and attribute points needed to disappear. I personally didn't like making different builds of the same class although a lot of people probably do. Fair enough. But this allows you to change on the fly. Now, of course Blizzard definitely needed to think about how to balance the skills out more as some are definitely more useful than others, while some are just worthless.

Another good thing about the skill point removal was that it just helps with progressing through the game easier. Having to play through the first 30 levels as a class with only the barebone skills so that you could "save" those points for the later skills made the game a chore to play through until you reached that level tier for the skill.

4) The auction house isn't perfect, and I personally hate the idea of the RMAH, but I understand why they set up the game like this. Trades are safer, people can actually make real cash safely, and the game makes it a lot easier to find stuff. I personally don't miss the matrix-style wall of txt that were the trade channels in diablo 2, where stuff moved too quickly to catch. Also, you can always find gear to help you progress (at least to the end of hell).

5) the gameplay just feels better. I know this is subjective but the animations are a lot smoother, and it just seems like it is more fun to use skills and cast spells in this game as opposed to in diablo 2.
#2JakeAThompsonPosted 7/1/2012 9:16:30 AM
I disagree.
#3PenguinKoalaPosted 7/1/2012 9:17:44 AM
I disagree as well.
#4MitzeIpikPosted 7/1/2012 9:18:02 AM
You felt the need to post of the D3 board to say D3 is better than D2? Insecure much?
---
It's a hobby. If the thing you go hardest at in life is video games, you don't get to call yourself hardcore. You're soft, and should be treated as such.
#5gatz900(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2012 9:20:08 AM
MitzeIpik posted...
You felt the need to post of the D3 board to say D3 is better than D2? Insecure much?

Yes, I'm insecure. So?
#6Ashisogi_jizoPosted 7/1/2012 9:21:31 AM
MitzeIpik posted...

You felt the need to post this in this thread just to insult someone else's confidence. Insecure much?
---
UMVC3 team: Captain America / Vergil / Nova, SSF4 AE main: Vega, Soul Calibur 5 Mains: Yoshimitsu and Cervantes, MK9 Main: Johnny Cage, SFxT Team: Vega / Kuma
#7MitzeIpikPosted 7/1/2012 9:22:23 AM
Ashisogi_jizo posted...
MitzeIpik posted...

You felt the need to post this in this thread just to insult someone else's confidence. Insecure much?

Nope, I just felt the need to point it out.
---
It's a hobby. If the thing you go hardest at in life is video games, you don't get to call yourself hardcore. You're soft, and should be treated as such.
#8TheshamenPosted 7/1/2012 9:24:48 AM
Well the d3 board (or some select users) are trying to make it commonly accepted that d3 was a failure despite being the #1 pc game right now and shattering sales records, according to them d3 is a major flop and this board tends to carry on like it is the end of blizzard.

Prolly why some people seem insecure
---
I will not change this sig until Alterac Valley is reverted pre-BC http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937114
12/21/08
#9TenshouKairekiJinPosted 7/1/2012 9:25:50 AM
I like them both.

I don't care which one is "better", because they're both fun. But yeah no D2 is better at this point simply because of volume of content. However, I would rather play D3 than D2 at the present time. Because I want money. No no, jk. Because I want money.

But for reals, I like both of the systems. I like the skill point system, and I like D3's system. Both awesome. Perhaps I'm just easy to please. /shrug
---
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Humanity is ever one inspired step away from godhood.
#10gatz900(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2012 9:26:21 AM
Ashisogi_jizo posted...
MitzeIpik posted...

Oh trust me it didn't hurt my confidence at all, but thank you for sticking up for a fellow gamer. I mean, this is the d3 board so where else would I post about d3? Mitzelpik just needs a father figure in his life I think...