Still confused about armor vs resist...

#1mimicsoftPosted 7/3/2012 11:24:15 AM
I know you should get both of them as high as possible. But what if I can't afford all these crazy expensive eq that gives me 60+ all resist with decent armor with a close to 200 my primary stat etc. The similar stuff with less or no resist all seems a lot cheaper. As a result I only have 200 resist now and my armor can go sky high with Leap (yeah I am a barb). Even with the War Cry +50% resist all it gets me to 300 whooping resist all (which is not much diff in Inferno). Or should I stick with the 40%+ armor combine with the 2 passive to boost armor?

Which one comes first when it comes to dmg reduction? Resist or Armor? If I go for the all resist then my attack will probably go to crap.
#2Soccerocker9Posted 7/3/2012 11:26:36 AM
Assuming there is no damage class that isn't reduced by one of the resists (which I'm not sure about) then they should be functionally equal. That is, if you have to pick between the two stats, pick the one which would increase their respective damage reduction but the larger percentage.
---
Just All Gamers Evolved OGL / Cal O #jage
Wii Friend Code: 6214-3668-5353-3511
#3LokarinPosted 7/3/2012 11:26:40 AM
Ya, I was just about to make a topic about this.

Per point Armour and resist provide the same benefit (have to multiply resist by 10 of course).

But do you want to stack just one or the other, or do you get the greatest benefit from having them effectively equal (8000 armour per 800 resist)?
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#4EternalFlame66Posted 7/3/2012 11:28:53 AM
Whoa...only 200 resist all as a barb? Better hope you got 40k DPS at least
---
Such is your fate.
#5MMF_LegacyPosted 7/3/2012 11:31:09 AM
If your a sorc, I mean a wiz, you should stack resist. Also, a Witch Doctor should stack resist. A barb of course should stack armor because his primary stat directly influences armor and dmg. A monk and DH could go either way. Whichever one is easiest to get I say. Like you said 1 point in INT is .01 to all resist. So 1000 INT is like 100 to all resist. Therefore stacking INT is pointless if you aren't a WD or Wiz. Monk and DH should take advantage of All Resist affixes.
---
How many times do I got to play parolee, mods?
#6EternalFlame66Posted 7/3/2012 11:34:29 AM(edited)
MMF_Legacy posted...
If your a sorc, I mean a wiz, you should stack resist. Also, a Witch Doctor should stack resist. A barb of course should stack armor because his primary stat directly influences armor and dmg. A monk and DH could go either way. Whichever one is easiest to get I say. Like you said 1 point in INT is .01 to all resist. So 1000 INT is like 100 to all resist. Therefore stacking INT is pointless if you aren't a WD or Wiz. Monk and DH should take advantage of All Resist affixes.

Wrong. Wizard stack armor since force armor increase armor by 60%. Barbs stack resist since they already have high armor.
---
Such is your fate.
#7LokarinPosted 7/3/2012 11:34:12 AM
Assuming damage reduction is multiplicative as the sticky says, the opposite would be true. Since a Barb has really high armour they'd rather stack resist and since a Wizard gets high resist they'd rather get armour.
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#8HydroCannabinolPosted 7/3/2012 11:38:35 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...

This is completely backwards.
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#9MMF_LegacyPosted 7/3/2012 11:39:24 AM
EternalFlame66 posted...
MMF_Legacy posted...

Wrong. Wizard stack armor since force armor increase armor by 60%. Barbs stack resist since they already have high armor.

Not every wiz uses that stupid skill. Idk why people think that.
---
How many times do I got to play parolee, mods?
#10EternalFlame66Posted 7/3/2012 11:41:59 AM
If you don't use force armor your effective HP is actually half of someone who does.
---
Such is your fate.