Is it possible to achieve a decent amount of DPS with a wand and shield Wizard?

#1AverageGaiPosted 8/6/2012 3:48:59 PM
At the moment, I'm sitting at around 15k DPS with my 750 DPS wand (165 int, 575 LoH, 9 max AP, 5 APoC).

I would like to get it up around 25k.

Is that manageable without having to spend a small fortune if I'm missing out on the bonus damage from using a 300+ max damage source?
---
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
#2AverageGai(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 6:34:00 PM
Bump
---
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
#3GradieusPosted 8/6/2012 6:35:24 PM
AverageGai posted...
without having to spend a small fortune

Depends, how small?
#4AverageGai(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 6:37:18 PM
10-15m more is probably the most I'm willing to spend on my Wiz for awhile.
---
#5rednanakiPosted 8/6/2012 7:22:54 PM
You're probably missing out on at least 5k damage from the source. However, it's probably easier to stay alive using a shield.

If you find you like using a shield and don't die, you can use Shocking Aspect instead and that'll increase your dps by about 50%
---
Only a dead fish always swims with the stream
Panda's favorite day - sitting and eating bamboo
#6Lordaeron86Posted 8/6/2012 7:43:08 PM
U don't have to spend that much on gold if u constantly check the ah for good deals. I managed to snipe a 900 Dps ap on crit wand for a few mil awhile back and had over 23k Dps with a shield.
---
"To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it."
#7GradieusPosted 8/6/2012 7:45:33 PM
AverageGai posted...
10-15m more is probably the most I'm willing to spend on my Wiz for awhile.

Can you post your profile from the battle net server so I can see what you got? I'm currently running a defensive wizard and have over 25k dmg.
#8ProzacIsBackPosted 8/6/2012 7:51:26 PM
Yes.

Generally, the only wizards that really want to use shields, are spectral blade wizards. Twistertanks want the APoC from sources, and everything else is ranged, where damage>blocking. But...

With blades, if you have high crit % and you can tank, you can try adding arcane dynamo passive + crit mass + archon to your build, to do periodic ~600% weapon damage.

Otherwise, you'll want to focus on your weapon, it makes all the difference. DPS and crit damage make a huge impact. Attack speed and int make a big impact on gear, and if you're using LoH / crit mass, attack speed is both an offensive and defensive stat.

10-12 mil should let you flop around in a2 as a wiz, but the benchmark for A3 is closer to 100m.
---
Prozac is a dick.
But he's a great player. He's like the Kanye West of GameFAQs, if Kanye had talent.
#9DoctorDoom80Posted 8/6/2012 8:04:51 PM
ProzacIsBack posted...
Yes.

Generally, the only wizards that really want to use shields, are spectral blade wizards. Twistertanks want the APoC from sources, and everything else is ranged, where damage>blocking. But...

With blades, if you have high crit % and you can tank, you can try adding arcane dynamo passive + crit mass + archon to your build, to do periodic ~600% weapon damage.

Otherwise, you'll want to focus on your weapon, it makes all the difference. DPS and crit damage make a huge impact. Attack speed and int make a big impact on gear, and if you're using LoH / crit mass, attack speed is both an offensive and defensive stat.

10-12 mil should let you flop around in a2 as a wiz, but the benchmark for A3 is closer to 100m.

Arcane Dynamo -> Meteor is nice too.
---
Battle.net Tag (Diablo III): DoctorDoom#1357
DoctorDoom: Level 60 Wizard & Orion: Level 60 Demon Hunter
#10Lordaeron86Posted 8/7/2012 4:59:55 AM
ProzacIsBack posted...
Yes.

Please don't spread these BS lies about 100m gold and RMAH required to beat A3. You only need to spend on the RMAH if u suck (there's no way you're farming 100m gold if you need 100m gold to beat A3 in the first place). It depends on whether or not you can find a good weap for cheap, but it shouldn't cost more than 20mil to beat A3 assuming you got one or two pieces of gear for yourself from farming. Accessory slots like belts and pants can be gotten for like 200-500k and they are good enough to beat the game with.

100m means you're doing it wrong and blaming your failures on the RMAH.
---
"To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it."