Devil's Anvil: New Barb Build: You Can Stop Spinning Now, Kiddies

#1iiTryhardPosted 8/20/2012 5:22:01 AM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6308611810

Considering the fact that this build is going to get a massive buff, and is viable now, this is going to slaughter that silly tornado build. It even requires the same gear! Check it out.
---
XBL: iiTryHaard
Yes, i i do try hard
#2MTGxerxesPosted 8/20/2012 5:51:03 AM
"Even uses the same gear as Double Tornado"

For the most part perhaps, but what do they suggest as Offhand? Shield for survivability or does DPS not matter for HotA like Sprint?
---
Youtube: MTGXerxes. Pokemon DP, Mega Man 1-6, X, X4, Breath of Fire 1-2, Magic 2013, etc.
Gamertag: MtG Xerxes --- Gamestop Manager
#3iiTryhard(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2012 5:59:38 AM
The dude in the youtube video uses a 2h, probably of similar value to his other one, I could see a shield being effective as well.
---
XBL: iiTryHaard
Yes, i i do try hard
#4MTGxerxesPosted 8/20/2012 6:03:51 AM
Ahh, I didn't check the videos I just read the first page and all I saw was a skill-build, no gear that way.

Cause obviously my offhand gives me LoH, and actually has lifesteal as well... but the DPS is 300. The mods fill just about every role that Tornado needs so it was perfect, and thus the rest of my gear was obtained to fill other roles. I suppose I could just use the crappy DPS anyway for now to see how the build works out. I'd definitely prefer to smash than run in circles I think.
---
Youtube: MTGXerxes. Pokemon DP, Mega Man 1-6, X, X4, Breath of Fire 1-2, Magic 2013, etc.
#5SomeMacGuyPosted 8/20/2012 6:04:27 AM
Why would I go for an inferior build?
---
Ryyaann_Is_Band is warned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#6MTGxerxesPosted 8/20/2012 6:09:11 AM
SomeMacGuy posted...
Why would I go for an inferior build?

Well, just reading through that thread tells me these things:
1) It may not be that inferior after all, and is about to get buffed.
2) Its the most common barb build on Asian servers, so take from that what you will.
3) Its debatably more fun than Tornado, and at least makes more archtype sense.
4) Not everyone wants to copy/paste what everyone else is doing, so if this is relatively new outside of Asian servers, people may figure its unique enough (for the time being) Though that may change after its buff.

I'm about to log in and try it out. We'll see how it goes even with a completely incorrect offhand, not to mention zero gear changes.
---
#7SomeMacGuyPosted 8/20/2012 6:18:09 AM

So is Whirlwind, as stated in the 1.04 Barb Preview....

2) Its the most common barb build on Asian servers, so take from that what you will.

I take from this: "Asian people are using it so it must be goof!" - really now?

"fun" is subjective. I'm talking about the efficiency here.

4) Not everyone wants to copy/paste what everyone else is doing, so if this is relatively new outside of Asian servers, people may figure its unique enough (for the time being) Though that may change after its buff.

Yet you're copy/pasting what they're doing.
---
Ryyaann_Is_Band is warned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#8MTGxerxesPosted 8/20/2012 6:33:52 AM
SomeMacGuy posted...

So is Whirlwind, as stated in the 1.04 Barb Preview....

I take from this: "Asian people are using it so it must be goof!" - really now?

"fun" is subjective. I'm talking about the efficiency here.

Yet you're copy/pasting what they're doing.

Whirlwind is being buffed yes, but WW isn't really the main damage dealer in the build is it? Its Sprint. Its also not being buffed like HotA is, and 2-handers being massively increased could mean something.

You claim to want efficiency. Everyone complains about "Chinese gold farmers" so I'm sure they like efficiency too. Is it a good argument? No, so thats why I said to take from it how you will. It sounds significant enough to me for ANY build to be the most popular build on a server.

Again, efficiency. So you don't LIKE the Tornado build, its just effective? Most people play a game to enjoy their time spent, not be a few minutes faster in a farming run. Not to mention, you can still use Sprint in this Hammer build; it has 3 spots for personal preference instead of 1. Hell, you can even replace Bash with HotA in your sprint build right now and it will still work even though it doesn't directly generate fury, its mad crits do.

Final point: I guess you only read half of it though. People may consider this unique or new enough that they don't feel like its copy paste. It also has room for personal flavor in multiple slots, with multiple runes able to be chosen for each of the most commonly chosen skills. I certainly haven't seen any HotA barbs since... Normal.
--------------------
After my brief test with ZERO equipment changes: This build is fun. LoH doesn't proc from the AoE like sprint, just the hammer. Life steal may be the way to go. Shield can help survivability there too, though I had no real threat of dying so far anyway and my gear is cheap. As in, 95% of wind barbs here have better gear than me in each slot outside of offhand.

Variety in skills is fun. Overpower can add 10% crit, or use the rune that heals you. You get to SPAM overpower at all times which helps with fury, LoH, etc too. Infinite WotB is easily obtainable, especially if you keep Sprint in your skill bar.
---
#9DarksteelPosted 8/20/2012 9:25:42 AM(edited)
I just spent ~500k on some misc gear and tried this build out and I can definitely see potential in it. Works surprisingly well and seeing gigantic crit numbers is always fun :)

I went 2hnd and took EQ+Insanity for elites as well, burnt through them in record time between that and hammer. I can definitely see this being VERY powerful if I invested just a bit more money into it.

In case anyone is wondering how this works, Devil's Anvil seems to have an AoE slow effect that can proc into the fray. Never really felt rage starved at all with this build (had around 45% crit).

WW barb will probably farm a bit faster just due to the sprint speed, but this also seems like it does awesome in cutting down mobs as well (I'd recommend going with LS over LoH with this build since you will be hitting VERY hard but much less often).

Gonna be giving this a shot when the new patch hits.

edit: Here's the build I went with in case anyone was interested:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZSTPRk!ZYV!bcbZYc
---
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general -Mark Rippetoe
#10darkcougPosted 8/20/2012 9:25:02 AM
Seems like this build only works because the skill is bugged (giving crits on 0-hit dmg). Buy gear for this build at your own risk.