A comparison between D3 and TL2

#21guyagamiPosted 10/8/2012 8:01:35 PM
Currently playing TL2 too and god forbid, I find D3 better at the moment.
Gotta say drop rates aren't as great as people make it out to be, and I don't get the meaning of better itemization.
I'm curious about the one shotting everything part though. Currently running a lv 40+ berserker, half way through act 3 on veteran mode, and I don't find myself op at all. Maybe I'm not playing right but my dps isn't all that great and monsters sometimes do obscene damage to me.
#22Succubus191Posted 10/8/2012 8:26:22 PM
guyagami posted...
Gotta say drop rates aren't as great as people make it out to be, and I don't get the meaning of better itemization.
I'm curious about the one shotting everything part though. Currently running a lv 40+ berserker, half way through act 3 on veteran mode, and I don't find myself op at all. Maybe I'm not playing right but my dps isn't all that great and monsters sometimes do obscene damage to me.

People say drop rates are better because you are guaranteed at least 1 unique drop from bosses, very similar to how drops worked in D2. They are way more common in general. In about 50 hours of TL2 I have found way more unique drops than compared to legendaries in D3 in over 500 hours. To top it off I've found stuff that was actually usable by my class and not instant AH/Trade bait. How many legendaries did you find in D3 before max level? How many uniques have you found in TL2 before max level? Probably way more in TL2.

Better itemization just means that there better stats that drop on items
#23Gradieus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 11:01:10 PM
guyagami posted...

I use outlander that has glaive throw which is perma kill everything. It doesn't even depend on your weapon so no matter what it's always op.
#24JERM57Posted 10/8/2012 11:26:32 PM
Succubus191 posted...
People say drop rates are better because you are guaranteed at least 1 unique drop from bosses, very similar to how drops worked in D2. They are way more common in general. In about 50 hours of TL2 I have found way more unique drops than compared to legendaries in D3 in over 500 hours. To top it off I've found stuff that was actually usable by my class and not instant AH/Trade bait. How many legendaries did you find in D3 before max level? How many uniques have you found in TL2 before max level? Probably way more in TL2.

Better itemization just means that there better stats that drop on items

Unless you were talking about Act bosses in D2, regular bosses (Raven, Rakanishu, etc) most certainly did not guarantee uniques or set items. To be honest, after playing TL2 for about 2 hours, most of the uniques I picked up were instantly vendored. On top of that, I found more berserker items on my outlander and engineer than on my actual berserker.

Subjective opinions are subjective opinions. If it wasn't for fixed quest rewards, I would have to use white quality trash for 3-5 levels before finding a weapon I could use. Sure, more stuff drops, but the majority are still vendor loot.

Considering the endgame for TL2 consists of retiring your main character for 1 extra skill point, I think I'll stick to D3. Awwww.... all those hours spent on this character down the drain? Here's a cookie. Pssh... no thanks.
---
I guess you're right, I always assumed PK meant PvP. I never took it so literally. -- PenguinKoala. *actually admitted a mistake, shocker!*
#25Succubus191Posted 10/8/2012 11:50:12 PM
JERM57 posted...

To be honest, after playing TL2 for about 2 hours, most of the uniques I picked up were instantly vendored.

Multiple uniques found within 2 hours? No wonder some D3 people don't like TL2 they must prefer having to wait a week to find any fancy colored drops.

When you get to Act 2 and get the transmuter (think horadric cube) you can turn any 3 uniques into a random unique with the level averaged. Of course this doesn't guarantee you will get what you want but I've used it quite a few times to turn crap I didn't need into something useful.

But you are right, most loot will not be suited for your character. Since uniques aren't hard to come by it's not much of a problem.
#26JERM57Posted 10/9/2012 12:05:42 AM
Maybe it's just for different types of gamers. Personally, I only cared about high to top-tier unique items or sets. I couldn't care less about junk uniques you find at level 10. Sure, it's great at level 10 but you'd throw it aside after a few levels anyway.

And there's too many loot showers in TL2 that it dilutes the experience. But obviously too many people here are only too willing to hate on D3 and nitpick the little issues to notice the similar problems in both games.
---
I guess you're right, I always assumed PK meant PvP. I never took it so literally. -- PenguinKoala. *actually admitted a mistake, shocker!*
#27DottledPosted 10/9/2012 6:14:34 AM
toiletsnake posted...

Sounds like they need some nerfing... you know, to promote build diversity. Blizzard style.

Yeah if what the OP says is true then it sure as hell does lol, I would be bored out my skull if I could play on the hardest difficulty in the mid 50s with level 19 gear using only one skill.
---
You can't argue with facts, and either can idiots.
#28Succubus191Posted 10/9/2012 6:46:19 AM
Dottled posted...
toiletsnake posted...

Sounds like they need some nerfing... you know, to promote build diversity. Blizzard style.

Yeah if what the OP says is true then it sure as hell does lol, I would be bored out my skull if I could play on the hardest difficulty in the mid 50s with level 19 gear using only one skill.

He's on the hardest difficulty but only on the first play through. There's 4 difficulties to choose from at the start but the game gets tougher with each play through. It work's exactly like normal/nightmare/hell in D2 except there are 5 of them.

I was only on veteran mode (second highest initial difficulty) but I felt the first play through was very similar to the difficulty of normal mode in D3.
#29red255Posted 10/9/2012 7:06:34 AM
....See I played D3 for a couple of weeks and was done with it, making the money I spent on it feel like a waste.

I played Torchlight 2. wasn't especially uh Super impressed with it, but its only a 20 dollar game, so it doesn't TAKE as much for me to get my money's worth out of the game.

as it stands if they are ABOUT equal, 4/6 apparently, Diablo 3 still owes me 30 bucks.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#30EternalFlame66Posted 10/9/2012 7:10:20 AM
They need to nerf richochet.
---
Such is your fate.