In all honesty, how is this game now?

#61rjames80Posted 11/13/2012 11:44:36 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
rjames80 posted...
EDIT: Guy above me = tinfoil hat

If a magician makes a deck of cards disappear, do you believe it?

No, but if it's a good magician, you won't understand what he did to make the trick work until much later, long after the performance is done (and if he's a great magician, long after he's made some $$$). Directs your attention where he wants it, asks you questions you can't help but affirm, talks fast so you're constantly distracted and before you know it, voila.

Master magicians = masters of business. Figured this out when when I was ten years old. How long is it going to take you?

That's quite a trick Blizzard is doing. Making me think I'm enjoying the game when I'm really not just so I might one day spend money on the RMAH (never going to happen). They should go in to politics instead of gaming.
---
Jay Wilson, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
#62ChronoAcePosted 11/13/2012 11:49:24 AM
They still haven't fixed item drops. World of AHcraft.
#63JonWhitakerPosted 11/13/2012 11:51:20 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
JonWhitaker posted...
almost every other company I know of that sells in game items collects 100% of the profit. there is not -nearly- as much complaining about these services, and it's so much worse than how the rmah is set up.

Those games are called "free-to-plays". You don't buy the game, but you buy into it with "unnecessary" services.

JonWhitaker posted...
that money can go to on going updates, expansions, security, ect.

Is that why botters and exploits still exist, months after release? If they cared, they wouldn't ban in semi-annual waves, they'd be taking immediate action.

JonWhitaker posted...
and to top it all off, the rmah wouldn't even work if it wasn't for us, the players, choosing to use it. if everyone thought it was so horrible, no one would use it and no one would get money for it, blizzard or us.

Believe it or not, some people get addicted to gambling. D3 is a game that's built on gambling, and you have the option to spend money in the RMAH so you can gamble more efficiently (survive higher MPs, farm faster).

It is what it is and it won't change, but if you think Blizzard didn't build this game around the AH to maximize long-term profits, you have a lot left to experience in the world. Business isn't philanthropic, the profits are profits. Class balancing, elite changes, gameplay additions, yet the core remains the same. Again, I've put in a decent chunk of time since 1.05, and despite all the "changes", it's exactly the same. Blizzard is a master of creating illusions in their games, it's very convincing, but you'll eventually look back on stuff like this and go man, how could I have been so stupid?

It isn't trolling, lying or tin-foil hats, it's honesty, because it's how business works.

there are tons of games that aren't free to play that offer items that make you better and the company gets all of the money, the player gets none.

botters, hacks, and exploits still exist because of where technology is in this modern day. no matter what security measures we currently take, someone is going to find a way around it. money can aid in being proactive against new threats and improving current techniques and technologies to stop hacks/scripts from being undetectable. also the constant updates, supposed two expansions, and blizzard as company also benefit from getting money somewhere. from a hacking perspective I can say so far blizzard has done a hell of a lot better with it in d3 than they did with d2.

any game that expects to have a long life cycle needs to have some form of income besides the original purchase, especially nowadays, and you know this. blizzard's optional rmah is a hell of a lot better than a monthly service.

also, I know this game is addicting. I've written multiple times it's set up like a skinner box, and that people can be addicted to it. has blizzard purposely set it up this way? most likely. I'm not arguing that at all. but it starts to raise the question, what is the point of playing any game besides one that keeps your interest and you enjoy? aren't all games a 'waste of time' that keep you hooked for no really valid reason other than you enjoy it and have fun?
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lightningbla-1777/
#64noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/13/2012 11:53:21 AM
rjames80 posted...
Making me think I'm enjoying the game when I'm really not just so I might one day spend money on the RMAH (never going to happen). They should go in to politics instead of gaming.

Ever put anything on the RMAH? And why be a politician when you can create a business where you eventually don't have to work nearly as hard as a politician or have that same public pressure, but you still end up with a ton of power due to accumulated wealth anyway?

And if you think you aren't being "forced" to enjoy the game, you're wrong. The entire process of making games is figuring out what behaviors people find "fun" and pushing enough of those that people convince themselves they have fun playing your game. That's just the nature of the business. Whenever you game, you're basically saying, "I'm too lazy to create enjoyment for myself, here's my money, do it for me."
---
This is great! I will use Heroin on the weekends now!
#65noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/13/2012 11:58:44 AM
JonWhitaker posted...
there are tons of games that aren't free to play that offer items that make you better and the company gets all of the money, the player gets none.

Funny how you aren't naming any.

JonWhitaker posted...
botters, hacks, and exploits still exist because of where technology is in this modern day. no matter what security measures we currently take, someone is going to find a way around it.

Everything exists on Blizzard's servers so can be heavily monitored, and people who spam trade chat w/ gold buy spam aren't even trying to be tactful. When you see the same name pop up throughout the week, it's pretty obvious that *nothing* is being done.

JonWhitaker posted...
any game that expects to have a long life cycle needs to have some form of income besides the original purchase, especially nowadays, and you know this. blizzard's optional rmah is a hell of a lot better than a monthly service.

D2 didn't have monthly service fee, neither does Starcraft 2, and the same goes for many other games past and present. Somehow gaming got along just fine.

JonWhitaker posted...
but it starts to raise the question, what is the point of playing any game besides one that keeps your interest and you enjoy? aren't all games a 'waste of time' that keep you hooked for no really valid reason other than you enjoy it and have fun?

The point of gaming is to waste time. That's all. The "problem" is that developers put players in a box so they'd buy their next expansion pack, now you put them in a box so you can milk them for microtransactions over the entire life of the game, and also sell them major expansions (which could realistically be given away with a microtransaction model, but again, I'm not so dumb to assume business isn't business).
---
#66JonWhitakerPosted 11/13/2012 12:16:48 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
JonWhitaker posted...

JonWhitaker posted...
botters, hacks, and exploits still exist because of where technology is in this modern day. no matter what security measures we currently take, someone is going to find a way around it.

Everything exists on Blizzard's servers so can be heavily monitored, and people who spam trade chat w/ gold buy spam aren't even trying to be tactful. When you see the same name pop up throughout the week, it's pretty obvious that *nothing* is being done.

JonWhitaker posted...

D2 didn't have monthly service fee, neither does Starcraft 2, and the same goes for many other games past and present. Somehow gaming got along just fine.

JonWhitaker posted...
but it starts to raise the question, what is the point of playing any game besides one that keeps your interest and you enjoy? aren't all games a 'waste of time' that keep you hooked for no really valid reason other than you enjoy it and have fun?

The point of gaming is to waste time. That's all. The "problem" is that developers put players in a box so they'd buy their next expansion pack, now you put them in a box so you can milk them for microtransactions over the entire life of the game, and also sell them major expansions (which could realistically be given away with a microtransaction model, but again, I'm not so dumb to assume business isn't business).

you really think that blizzard is doing nothing about hacking and spam going on on their severs? you do not consider it is an extremely complicated process and the people creating the exploits are just as good if not better at circumventing the security that blizzard creates?

diablo 2 is back in a different age of gaming, it didnt have a service fee, it also was slow at releasing new patches, and had more hacks and exploits than any other online game I've ever played that attempted to have some level of security. Starcraft 2 has expansions, and more so than that it has enormous competitions and fan base that blizzard benefits from in more ways than you can imagine. it's not in the same category as diablo 3. also, the company that created Starcraft 2 just so happens to have another insanely popular game that does require a service fee.

also, what box forces you to use the rmah that so many of us do not use? and while blizzard makes 15% off those sales, the players are making 75%. it's relatively easy in this game to make 60$ so you basically got the game for free. people who sink a few hundred hours into this game because they like it then get the money back so they didn't lose any money purchasing the game.. that's great. if you don't like it, don't play diablo 3.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/lightningbla-1777/
#67noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/13/2012 12:25:15 PM
D2 wasn't as buggy or imbalanced at launch, so I don't know why you'd think patching D3 5 times within 6 months is a sign of improvement on Blizzard's behalf. All it really says is they released the game way too early.

Starcraft 2 has the competitive scene and makes Blizzard money. Still not necessary for them to make money off SC2, they get that from the millions of $60+ sales.

The sub-fee in WoW has given Blizzard a TON of "f u" money. I don't think they'll ever run out.

D3 will end up having expansions, so arguing that other games have expansions to make money and D3 needs RMAH to survive makes no sense.

JonWhitaker posted...
also, what box forces you to use the rmah that so many of us do not use?

Are you including yourself in this analysis? It sounds like you've used the RMAH to "earn" back the $60 you spent on D3, which basically means you gave Blizzard $60, and then helped them make more money by taking profit cuts from your sales. Do you get a benefits package with that? Is it an hourly wage or are you on salary? How are the company parties?

Oh, wait, you don't get any of that. You're just a lazy gamer farming in their box to help make them more money that they use to do RL things with. Hardcore gamers, by definition, beg to be preyed upon, then cry when someone else explains what's happening.

noimnoturdaddy posted...
JonWhitaker posted...

You still haven't named any.
---
#68hyjinx17Posted 11/13/2012 12:28:33 PM
oh monster power has been added? wanted to try it again when it was, guess I'll update and give it a go
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only arguement I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#69rjames80Posted 11/13/2012 12:34:25 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
rjames80 posted...
Making me think I'm enjoying the game when I'm really not just so I might one day spend money on the RMAH (never going to happen). They should go in to politics instead of gaming.

Ever put anything on the RMAH? And why be a politician when you can create a business where you eventually don't have to work nearly as hard as a politician or have that same public pressure, but you still end up with a ton of power due to accumulated wealth anyway?

And if you think you aren't being "forced" to enjoy the game, you're wrong. The entire process of making games is figuring out what behaviors people find "fun" and pushing enough of those that people convince themselves they have fun playing your game. That's just the nature of the business. Whenever you game, you're basically saying, "I'm too lazy to create enjoyment for myself, here's my money, do it for me."

Never put anything on the RMAH and never bought anything off of it either. Never felt the need to utilize it either way and I most likely never will.

If I understand you correctly, you're stating that game companies find out what people consider to be fun and then incorporate those things in to games. Wow, what a novel idea! Enjoyment of a product helps boost sales. I wonder which marketing genius came up with that amazing concept. People play games to be entertained and that's why they spend the money. "I'm too lazy to create enjoyment for myself, here's my money, do it for me", seriously? It's called the entertainment industry and paying for it is nothing new. Games aren't the only form of entertainment that utilizes this format.
---
Jay Wilson, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
#70noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/13/2012 12:36:54 PM
rjames80 posted...
*snip*

You're the one that sarcastically stated Blizzard was "tricking" you into having fun. I was simply pointing out that it was indeed the case, and from your post, it looks like I helped you remember this.

Glad to be of service.
---