Does monster power make drops better

#11Lost HopePosted 11/25/2012 8:31:25 AM
Does monster power make drops better ?

Yes, but indirectly. Higher MF gives you better chance of getting better drops, since Monster Power gives you extra MF, if everything else is the same, higher monster power will technically give you "better drops".

But if you are looking at how to get the most/best drops per your playing time, then you'll have to take efficiency into consideration.

For example, let say MP 10 gives you 50% of getting a good rare per drop (purely madeup number), and MP 5 gives you 20%. But with your gear, it takes you 1 hr to clear Act 3 in MP10, but only 15 mins in MP5. And lets assume each run gives you 100 rares.

MP10 @ 50% * 100 rare = 50 good rare
MP5 @ 20% * 100 rare = 20 good rare.

So higher MP then? no, b/c MP5 is much quicker, you can run 4 times MP5 in the same amount of time in MP10, so 20 * 4 = 80 rare.

So does that mean I should run the lowest MP? Not necessary either. Let say MP1 gives you 10% chance, and takes you 10 mins. In an hour, you can run 6 times, so 10 * 6 = 60 rares...So while that's still more efficient than MP10, its less than MP5.

Obviously all these number are made up, but the point is the same. Don't look purely at MP level and/or MF. You have to efficiency into consideration. This is why no one recommends people stack MF, but takes you 10 mins to kill a pack, not b/c MF is not good, but b/c its not efficient.

For most people, MP0/Act 3 Alk route, will be most efficient, but that's not always true. If you one shot everything in MP3 as in MP0, there is no reason to run MP0 b/c you won't be any "faster", i.e. more efficient.

Basically, you just have to find a point, based on your skill/gear, to see which MP will be most efficient for you.
---
Christ paid a debt He didn't owe, to satisfy a debt we couldn't pay.
#12Lord of NightmaresPosted 11/25/2012 9:01:01 AM
Motions_NL posted...
Lord of Nightmares posted...
Nope, it just gives you more MF (25% for every additional level, for a maximum of 625% including 300% MF from gear and paragon levels and 75% from NV stacks) and gives all enemies a higher chance of dropping an additional item when killed, although the quality of items still entirely depends on your luck.

Let's put it this way, I know of someone who plays on MP 10 and who gets maybe 1 legendary per run through a complete act, along with a whole bunch of useless rares.

By comparison, I just did an MP 4 run yesterday with 438% total MF and got 5 legendaries within an hour, including a Grand Vizier and Depth Diggers.

full of bull. especially your last sentence.
I've been farming act3 mp5 for the last two days. Total of 5 hours and only got 1 legendary.
The way you say it, it sounds like you say don't play mp10 cause mp4 gives better drops.

It's up to you to believe me, I even made a thread about it yesterday (where I even listed down the ones I found) since I found it incredibly shocking myself as this has been my single best legendary run to date. There've been numerous times when I've farmed the entirety of Act III on MP 4 and I've never gotten a single legendary myself, so please stop it with the unfounded accusations that I'm lying.

And did you not bother to properly read my original post? I clearly stated that real life luck also factors into it, since there's no guarantee that you'll even get a single legendary with 625% MF on a full Act III MP 10 run, even though the odds are supposed to be increased. Yes, if you happen to have good luck then you might pick up quite a few, but there's still the possibility of not finding any, and let's not forget that monster HP is increased by several thousand percent as compared to MP 0.

What I was just trying to get at is that it's much more time-efficient to farm on MP 4 since monsters only have about 1/8th the HP as compared to MP 10, and in any case I seemed to have better results as compared to that other poster in the thread I linked who regularly plays on MP 10, but once again let me stress tha a huge amount of luck factored into it. And yes, I do indeed agree that having a maxiumum of 625% MF on MP 10 should theoretically result in rares and legendaries dropping more frequently as compared to 475% on MP 4, but with the way the current drop system works it's not always guaranteed if you happen to have bad luck.
#13DJchoke_NojokePosted 11/25/2012 9:06:23 AM
Wu_Zonghai posted...
What are legs? Srry I just started playing again

Legendaries
---
maap
#14MSN 04 SazabiPosted 11/25/2012 9:17:48 AM
errr 5 legends in an hour is quite believable

i've gotten 3 in 15 minutes, so you'd just need a bit more luck to hit 5

and the way he says it he doesn't play mp10 because it DOES give more drops, unless some how your mp10 clear is fast enough justify the minor increase in mf. by then though you wouldn't need to farm would you...?
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#15V3l2g1LPosted 11/26/2012 10:35:58 AM
Lord of Nightmares posted...
Nope, it just gives you more MF (25% for every additional level, for a maximum of 625% including 300% MF from gear and paragon levels and 75% from NV stacks) and gives all enemies a higher chance of dropping an additional item when killed, although the quality of items still entirely depends on your luck.

Let's put it this way, I know of someone who plays on MP 10 and who gets maybe 1 legendary per run through a complete act, along with a whole bunch of useless rares.

By comparison, I just did an MP 4 run yesterday with 438% total MF and got 5 legendaries within an hour, including a Grand Vizier and Depth Diggers.

Prettu much this. All my friends tried farming on high mp levels but we all caught onto low level farming.

Its just mpt worth it. Farming mp0-3 for paragon, items, etc is much quicler and efficient. I used to get like 1 leg an hour on mp3 Alk runs. I do mp1 and i get around 1 a run. Last night i got 3 in a run, 2 in the same drop! Most stuff is vendor trash regardless but still, the time spent is much better on low level farming.
---
Superboy-Prime really wanted to end EVERYTHING, because if he couldn't have Earth-Prime back, then **** it all. -The RazorsEdge
#16BadKarma_JTPosted 11/26/2012 10:54:46 AM
I got my witching hour and vile ward from mp0 yesterday
---
We can live like Jack and Sally if we want..Where you can always find me.. and We'll have Halloween on Christmas!
#17Sasquatch8080Posted 11/26/2012 11:09:22 AM(edited)
If you all would read Blizzard forums you would know that the hard cap on MF is 400% so 500% isn't even worth it...

Edit: but I will note that higher MP = more "bonus items". This means you will never see just one rare/legendary drop off one pack at MP10.
#18thousandinonePosted 11/26/2012 11:26:36 AM
"Does monster power make drops better"

There are two ways to look at this; Quality Level and Item Power.

By Quality Level, I refer to: common/magic/rare/set/legendary.
By Item Power, I refer to how effective the item is, eg. how beneficial it is to your stats.

Looking at this both ways:

"Does monster power make drops better in terms of quality level?"
-Yes, in the form of bonus magic find and extra items.

"Does monster power make drops better in terms of item power?"
-Yes, but only in a sense.

As noted, raising monster power improves the average quality level (though not directly the stats) of each item that drops. Because of this, items will average a larger number of affixes than they would at a lower monster power. The more affixes an item has, the more 'slots' you have for beneficial stats. That's simple math. If you are flipping coins and need a coin to come up heads, you're more likely to get at least one coin to come up heads out of 6 rolls than you are to get at least one to come up heads out of 4 rolls.

As such, with a higher monster power level, the average item that drops will be better by virtue of having more chances to roll desired stats. They can still roll crap for values, but thats pure RNG and isn't affected by MP or MF. And finally, the larger number of drops you'll be getting will also mean more items. This means more below average items, more average items, and more above average items. And since we're increasing the number of affixes that define 'average,' we see an overall improvement to our average haul.
---
Worst thing about grammar police: They're cannibals. If one makes a single typo or error while 'critiquing' someone, they will be EVISCERATED by their fellows.