Returning player - Whats changed since Paragon?

#1MSIMagusPosted 12/6/2012 9:57:06 AM
I quit after Paragon system was implemented and I saw there were a few big patches since then. I am thinking of returning after skimming the patch notes, but wanted to hear from players both what they thought of the changes and why they are or are not game changers.

Any help/info/thoughts/feelings/random musings etc etc are appreciated.
---
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#2EternalFlame66Posted 12/6/2012 10:04:32 AM
+Monster power, huge paradigm shift in builds due to this
+uber battles, another paradigm shift in builds centered around defeating these
+increased legendary/set drop rate, to the point that rares are the new blues. huge gear paradigm shift due to this.

I would say that the game has changed almost completely.
---
Such is your fate.
#3rjames80Posted 12/6/2012 10:08:40 AM
Besides everything mentioned above, (which are some of the biggest changes) there have been numerous other changes as well. Your best bet would be to just read the patch notes like you mentioned. Patch 1.05 is the one you will want to look at.
---
Jay Wilson, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
#4drointhewindPosted 12/6/2012 10:10:22 AM
I haven't played since the game came out. Should I come back?
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#5MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:11:08 AM
Well I read over the patch notes already. I guess the three main things id be interesting in hearing is

1. Overall did the difficulty increase or decrease
2. Are the drop rates finally high enough that it doesnt take 100s of runs to find an item worth while?
3. What is this machine thing? When I read the patch notes and a few random notes I gathered that they created some new end game content around it, but not exactly sure how it works.
---
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#6EternalFlame66Posted 12/6/2012 10:13:45 AM
MSIMagus posted...
Well I read over the patch notes already. I guess the three main things id be interesting in hearing is

1. Overall did the difficulty increase or decrease
2. Are the drop rates finally high enough that it doesnt take 100s of runs to find an item worth while?
3. What is this machine thing? When I read the patch notes and a few random notes I gathered that they created some new end game content around it, but not exactly sure how it works.

1. Overall difficulty increased because of Monster power.
2. You can find legendaries/ set items easily now, but most of them are still insta brim.
3. Machines are used to open portals to uber battles
---
Such is your fate.
#7MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:15:40 AM
Hmmmm that doesnt sound very positive. Do the higher drop rates at least make up for the increased difficulty? I was already stuck on Act 3 Inferno on my DH and Barb as it was ;(

Finally how do the machines work? Like I read that you gather organs or something if I am correct. But where do you get them/take them and whats special bout this place?
---
#8MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:16:15 AM
BTW thanks for the fast responses and helpful info!
---
#9EternalFlame66Posted 12/6/2012 10:17:51 AM
Well you won't be stuck on act 3 inferno because without monster power it's a complete faceroll now. It's suggested that a character with all blues can roll through it.
---
Such is your fate.
#10KingRamzPosted 12/6/2012 10:19:04 AM
If you were stuck on A3 Inferno before they added Monster Power you should be able to clear Inferno now on MP (Monster Power) 0. Baseline Inferno is significantly easier now than it was before. You can use MP to scale the difficulty how you like (which also boosts your MF).

I think the game is more fun now than it was back in 1.0.3. You should give it a shot; at least beat the game and see how you like it.