Diablo III PvP Update Blog is here! From the words of JW himself!

#1Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 12/27/2012 10:22:09 AM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163085/Diablo_III_PvP_Update_-12_27_2012

We've been working really hard on the features, content, and systems for PvP in Diablo III and I wanted to take some time to provide an update on where we're at. Of course, our goal has been to release our Team Deathmatch mode as soon as possible, but we don't want to put anything out there before it's ready. Right now, Team Deathmatch isn't yet where we want it to be, and I want to provide some insight into where we are at in the development process.

The State of PvP
Our original intent with PvP for Diablo III was to provide more formal support for the dueling community that existed in Diablo II. We wanted to give players some kind of structure that would not only make it easier for you to duel with one another, but also allow you to have duels that were team-based. This is how our Team Deathmatch mode emerged, and it's been instrumental in making a lot of improvements to Diablo III. But in continuing to develop this mode, playtest it, and put it in front of other developers within the company, we've found that it falls short of our expectations for a high-quality Blizzard experience.
Putting people into an arena and letting them hurl fireballs and swing crazy-ass swords at one another always has an element of fun to it. I imagine it's no surprise to anyone reading this blog that people like battling each other in video games, so if you had the chance to play our Team Deathmatch at one of the BlizzCons where we featured it you might not understand why we'd say that we donít feel the current mode is good enough.

Well, Here's WhyÖ
For us it comes to a few issues, one of which is depth. Simply fighting each other with no other objectives or choices to make gets old relatively quickly. We've brought a lot of people in to try out Team Deathmatch and, while some found it entertaining, most of our testers didn't feel like it was something they'd want to do beyond a few hours. Without more varied objectives, or very lucrative rewards, few saw our current iteration as something they'd want spend a lot of time in.
Another is class balance. Like Diablo II, Diablo III was designed to be a PvE-first kind of game, where we never compromised on player abilities in the name of future PvP balance. We want to be able to carry over as many of the crazy runes, items, and skills as possible, with their crazy effects, and alter them as little as possible. In a casual PvP mode, something equivalent to a WoW Battleground, this would be fine, but Team Deathmatch felt very hardcore, and it put a laser focus on class balance in a way that we didnít think would be good for the game as a whole.
Certainly, we've gotten a lot of benefits from the development of Team Deathmatch, especially in the areas of controls and combat model tuning, but at this point we don't believe it's the experience we feel it needs to be in order to ship, so we will be shelving it for now and exploring other options.

It took 7 months to say pretty much nothing?
---
Ryyaann_Is_Band is warned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#2ryudo500Posted 12/27/2012 10:24:56 AM
wow. so no team deathmatch.

woow.

im upset honestly.

so it will take them 1year to just create a 1v1 duel system
---
squaresoft
LAKERS & SPURS
#3Ryyaann_Is_Band(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 10:30:40 AM
Yeah, all trolling aside, they should have released PvP along with the game and fix it up along the way just like the game.

Instead, this is like the third or fourth time JW has said "I looked at the current state of PvP in Diablo 3 and it just isn't up to standard to be released. I want the best PvP experience in Diablo 3 so I'm going to delay it and keep working on it".

^ This is bad. This builds hype which can have severe backlash. How mad would you be if it took Blizzard until May 15 2013 to release PvP and it turned out to be a mess (ex. glitchy, unbalanced, randomly disconnects, etc) ?
---
Ryyaann_Is_Band is warned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#4ryudo500Posted 12/27/2012 10:36:00 AM
My brother has a point when I told him I was upset there were no arenas, he said it was a f2p game. which is true, but I also said that they have had 5 years of game development AND a GREAT reference point in WoW.

I honestly was sooo looking forward to a team deathmatch system in D III, it would be hard to implement for sure but hell they have guys over on the WoW team that could proly iron out a few things in that dept.

I do understand that people would be QQing if it WAS released, and broken, people would be saying "x years to develop this game and this is the final product" which is unfair to the devs.

either way, I hope they make some type of PvP team form. I think it would be fun.
---
squaresoft
LAKERS & SPURS
#5KarmicDragon1Posted 12/27/2012 10:39:49 AM
ryudo500 posted...
My brother has a point when I told him I was upset there were no arenas, he said it was a f2p game. which is true, but I also said that they have had 5 years of game development AND a GREAT reference point in WoW.

I honestly was sooo looking forward to a team deathmatch system in D III, it would be hard to implement for sure but hell they have guys over on the WoW team that could proly iron out a few things in that dept.

I do understand that people would be QQing if it WAS released, and broken, people would be saying "x years to develop this game and this is the final product" which is unfair to the devs.

either way, I hope they make some type of PvP team form. I think it would be fun.

I will assume this is some form of troll post.

I've never heard anyone on this board ever say they wanted team-based pvp over duelling, now you're all pretending like team-based pvp was the sole reason you bought Diablo 3. It's quite humorous but it also makes me lose faith in humanity.
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#6mrplanktomPosted 12/27/2012 10:42:55 AM
ryudo500 posted...
My brother has a point when I told him I was upset there were no arenas, he said it was a f2p game. which is true,

This game is free?
---
There's no group of people more delusional than blizz fanboys. Including scientologists.
#7il_capitanoPosted 12/27/2012 10:43:07 AM
You are right Ryan, they said basically nothing in that blog.

Imo pvp is still far and that was just a poor attempt to keep the masses "calm".
---
Farewell MGO, the first love will never be forgotten. 06/12/12
#8TareqAzadPosted 12/27/2012 10:48:17 AM(edited)
KarmicDragon1 posted...
ryudo500 posted...

I will assume this is some form of troll post.

I've never heard anyone on this board ever say they wanted team-based pvp over duelling, now you're all pretending like team-based pvp was the sole reason you bought Diablo 3. It's quite humorous but it also makes me lose faith in humanity.

Shut up troll.

They've been promising for months that arena PVP is coming in 1.1 and have been hush hush about any details. And now that they finally HAVE to post a blog at a time that they promised the actual feature itself, they are saying that they are scrapping the idea entirely...
---
What the world needs are more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Gamertag: Amazingmuzmo
#9kyleh614Posted 12/27/2012 10:49:07 AM
Blizzard Entertainment, please fire Jay Wilson.
#10DoctorDoom80Posted 12/27/2012 10:51:10 AM
Who cares about dueling? They promised an organized PvP feature will be added and now they're saying we may never see it.
---
Battle.net Tag (Diablo III): DoctorDoom#1357
D3 Armory Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DoctorDoom-1357/