Think Rune Stones / Rune Words Will Be In The Expansion?

#11lowlifeboyPosted 2/4/2013 2:49:28 AM
waterfiend posted...
I sure hope so because I want my Enigma! O_o;;

No, but really, don't you guys hope that they'll return, in some form? I miss that game mechanic...

I figure it's practically a shoo-in for the expansion.

i doubt it. i distinctly remember them stating that they didn't want to bring runewords back. also for those complaining about enigma, that was probably the only way melee classes stood a chance against casters. it's not like diablo 3 where teleport has a cooldown. back in diablo 2 sorceresses would spam teleport like crazy making them extremely annoying during pvp.
---
I'D LIKE SOME POUND CAKE!
#12funkyfritterPosted 2/4/2013 3:23:28 AM
Runes were a terrible system. Most of them were useless outside of runewords and the rarity was vastly disproportionate to their effects. The high end runewords were more or less sets that did nothing until completed and each piece was as rare as a crit mempo. Without duping only the top 1% would ever have had enigma and the whole system would have fallen flat on its face.

What I would like to see come back is jewels. That would make armor sockets more interesting than the binary "main stat or vit" customization we have now.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#13waterfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:07:13 AM
Renegade109 posted...
Regardless, almost every slot had only a few top tier items that were overused to begin with, usually one at Enigma-level popularity or close to it and some other alternatives (e.g. Fort and CoH).

Enigma is certainly not the only culprit to be pointing fingers at in terms of how the meta was overcentralised.

Yeah, now that I think about it, there really were not just one, but MANY overpowered runewords, and there really were "right" choices for each armor slot, for the most part.

Still, what a total blast of a game to play.

I still think that they could bring them back. Since we can swap skills at will in D3, it would be another way to allow people to "specialize" in a certain build, or novelty build. The more "niche" or specialty runewords they could create, the better. Plus, they've been tweaking class skills a lot in D3, so as not to let anything be the "right" skill choice; even if some are more efficient, there are certainly many viable builds out there.

Really, the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense in the game. Even if they don't include it in the end. *shrug*
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Waterfiend-1909/
#14MMF_LegacyPosted 2/4/2013 5:44:24 AM
Renegade109 posted...
Regardless, almost every slot had only a few top tier items that were overused to begin with, usually one at Enigma-level popularity or close to it and some other alternatives (e.g. Fort and CoH).

The only reason you saw CoH or Fort on people was because they didn't own an Enigma. Or sorcs would wear CoH because they could already Teleport.
#15funkyfritterPosted 2/4/2013 5:47:08 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...
Renegade109 posted...

The only reason you saw CoH or Fort on people was because they didn't own an Enigma. Or sorcs would wear CoH because they could already Teleport.

Not always true. Some vt players used fort because foh forces offensive play and zons rarely used enigma due to terrible cast frames.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#16remikePosted 2/4/2013 6:13:53 AM
The items in this game are lacking the sockets for rune words.
---
Currently playing: Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 (React#1515), Dark Souls (PS3)
#17Renegade109Posted 2/4/2013 10:18:41 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...
Renegade109 posted...

Zons don't use Enigma, period. Bowzons and Hybridzons ran Fort exclusively, Javazons ran either Fort or CoH.

BvBs use Fort exclusively.

Sorcs never use Enigma for obvious reasons. CoH and upped VMagi's were common, the latter for 200 FCR Sorcs.

Lib Hdins could utilise either Fort or Enigma due to the ED% benefiting charge. Wolf Druids also ran the former.

CoH could be seen used on Sorcs and FoH Pally variants (straight FoH, V/T's etc). High-end variants of the latter sometimes ditched RW torso apparel for socketed MPs / APs filled with 5/-5 gems. Smiters often kept CoH stashed with alternate apparel switches for additional res stack vs Blizz and Infini Sorcs.

Non-Ghost Venom WW Sins made use of Bramble, Auradins ran dual Dragons, the list goes on.

If you think Enigma was used by every single build, then you know little about the state of higher playing. To many players who weren't actively involved in the meta it may have all looked like ENIGMA ENIGMA ENIGMA, but it wasn't so.

funkyfritter posted...
MMF_Legacy posted...

Not always true. Some vt players used fort because foh forces offensive play and zons rarely used enigma due to terrible cast frames.

Word.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png [] http://i.imgur.com/Um6Qk.png
~ Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ~
#18waterfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 12:24:36 PM
remike posted...
The items in this game are lacking the sockets for rune words.

True, but that's easily remedied by adding more sockets for certain armor types in the expansion.

Still, it sounds like everyone here is counting them out for now. Only time will tell.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Waterfiend-1909/