I don't think the Auction House ruined the economy, but instead gold did.

#11DoctorDoom80Posted 3/29/2013 9:04:04 AM(edited)
The other failing point is that crit chance, crit damage, attack speed,-vitality, armor, and all resist, the same damn stats, are desired by EVERY class, only difference being main stat. Hence, the same Legendary items are BiS for every class (Mempo, Witching Hour, Echoing Fury, Vile Ward, Skorn, Lacuni Prowlers, Inna's Temperance) with the only difference being which main stat gets the high roll. This had to be done intentionally because they were either too lazy to design many class specific items or wanted to recycle art assets, or both.

The game has this fantastic build / skill / rune customization system but doesn't take advantage of it at all because so few "viable" or "desired" items boost a particular skill's effectiveness or eventual school damage. You know how many Wiz players would drop CM/WW if they could run a proper Fire spec?

By the same token, All Resist devalues all individual element resists for every class but Monk which has OWE. To fix this I propose a new system where elemental "Resistances" are replaced with "Attunements" - for instance, Lightning Resist now becomes "Lightning Attunement" - which decreases damage taken AND increases damage done from and by Lightning abilities. All Resist rolls would probably have to get nerfed by some percentage to compensate for this change, but this would encourage build diversity.
---
Battle.net Tag (Diablo III): DoctorDoom#1357
D3 Armory Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DoctorDoom-1357/
#12redundanciesPosted 3/29/2013 9:00:34 AM
You know how many Wiz players would drop CM/WW if they could run a proper Fire spec?

Then it would just change one cookie cutter to another. "Oh, this weapon doesn't have +fire damage? Brim it."
#13DoctorDoom80Posted 3/29/2013 9:05:20 AM
redundancies posted...
You know how many Wiz players would drop CM/WW if they could run a proper Fire spec?

Then it would just change one cookie cutter to another. "Oh, this weapon doesn't have +fire damage? Brim it."

Not if Fire was just one of many options to spec.
---
Battle.net Tag (Diablo III): DoctorDoom#1357
D3 Armory Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DoctorDoom-1357/
#14redundanciesPosted 3/29/2013 10:31:32 AM
DoctorDoom80 posted...
redundancies posted...

Not if Fire was just one of many options to spec.

The only way it will be "proper" is if it ends up being the best. Well, that'll just make it the cookie cutter spec and +fire damage gear to be the cookie cutter gear set.
#15Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 3/29/2013 11:34:15 AM
Which it won't be if balanced correctly.

Are you really that against seeing different types of elemental Wizards, who all of which are balanced correctly and there's a grey area on which type of Wizard is the best? (Fire Wizard, Ice Wizard, Lightning Wizard, Arcane Wizard)

Sure as hell beats seeing CM/WW Wizards (Ice Wizard) all day long
---
Ryyaann is banned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#16julbull73Posted 3/29/2013 12:28:26 PM
The Auction house simply removed the "learning curve" for lack of a better term from trading that was in D2.

In D2, the trading and economy was so shady and unstandardized that unless you were willing to suffer bots, scamming, or buying items. You didn't trade.

if you did each time it ranged from trading baseball cards (or Pokemon cards for the younger generation) to buying drugs from a guy you are pretty sure is a cop, but you're out of options.

So, trading was friends only or the ridiculously risk tolerant people. This greatly slowed the "god level" items and builds. So people were happy with lower tier items, and further the "lower tier" drops. It also left more room for improvement.

This is also triggered different "tier" builds up until 1.11 or so.

Then Synergies wiped that out and forced heavy cookie cutter builds, but did offer more viable builds over all and increased skills chosen (not neccesarily skills used just the ones picked).

So what you have seen is that when you open the market to everyone, the poor and middle class (casual/hardcore folsk with bad luck in this case) start to hate the rich (the lucky drop folks in this case.)

Only this eliminates joy overall, since if you wanted this you coudl just go work at a job and have the same emotional response.
#17redundanciesPosted 3/29/2013 1:43:41 PM

I have yet to see a single game where every option is balanced 100% against each other, and have seen occasions where, if there is a 1% difference in effectiveness, people still flock to the better one even though the difference is tiny.

As CyberJ stated above it comes down to a math problem, and the one that is mathed out to be the best is always going to win.
#18Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 3/29/2013 2:28:24 PM

I have yet to see a single game where every option is balanced 100% against each other, and have seen occasions where, if there is a 1% difference in effectiveness, people still flock to the better one even though the difference is tiny.

As CyberJ stated above it comes down to a math problem, and the one that is mathed out to be the best is always going to win.

I have yet to see that as well. What I was talking about was for only the subsection of Wizards. If someone wanted to "Math It Up", they would not even pick Wizard in the first place. But no matter, it seems like you truly are against the thought of variety. I find it very hard to believe that even if a Fire Wizard was 99% effective and a Lightning Wizard was 100% effective, every single Wizard would flock to the Lightning Wizard because its 1% more effective.
---
Ryyaann_Is_Band is warned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#19CyberJPosted 3/29/2013 2:31:20 PM
Build diversity or even item diversity are nice goals to have but its very tough to do. The most effective way other games have handled this problem in the past is to provide pros and cons for each choice. For example, a power that provides 50% bonus to fire attacks while giving a 50% penalty to ice damage taken. Then its up to the player to decide if the bonus is worth the penalty. However, even this can be reduced to a min/max equation.

There are a few items and runes like this in D3 (glass cannon comes to mind). However, because there are better choices, the player does not need to rely on a power or item that has a negative effect.

Given how the D3 system is set up I think their most likely solution will be to expand on the items that provide bonuses to specific skills or runes for each class. I know that my Wizard build is a direct result of the fact that I found a weapon that buffed Magic Missile. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother with that attack. I use Cleave on my Barb because I found a belt that boosted its damage 13%. That sort of thing.
#20Mad_Cow46Posted 3/29/2013 2:34:33 PM
oh noes you can't use non bis skillz!!
---
Has anyone seen my parrot?