This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help! "An error has occurred."

#1IonizerPosted 11/24/2011 12:35:08 AM(edited)
Okay, so I was playing Skyward Sword and had just completed a puzzle and the Wii froze. It began making a weird sound (like a "clack" sound three times, then a normal disc read sound, then "clack, clack, clack" again). It repeated this a couple times, then a screen popped up that said (paraphrased): "An error has occurred. Push the Eject Button, remove the disc and power off the console. Refer to the Wii Operations Manual for further troubleshooting." Well, I did that (minus the manual part), then put the disc back in so I could keep playing. I got to the Wii Menu screen, and then the Wii made that "clack, clack, clack" sound a few times, then the same error message popped up. I tried it once or twice more and the same thing happened. I then tried to put Wii Sports in there, thinking it might be the SS disc, but it did the same thing.

I've never dropped my Wii, or even bumped it or anything. It sits in the same place all the time. I got it within a month of the launch, so it's pretty old, and the warranty is probably expired. I've never had any problems with it before, it can (could?) even still read Dual Layered Discs. I haven't modded or hacked it in anyway, and I have the latest update. What could be wrong with it? Has anyone else had this problem? What am I supposed to do? I really want to finish Skyward Sword. And I really, really don't want to send it in to Nintendo during the holiday season when postal carriers might not be so careful with every one of the several additional packages they have to deal with...

Thanks in advance for any help...
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#2BeanCounter64Posted 11/24/2011 4:20:37 AM
I haven't had personal experience with your problem, but I think the disc drive on your Wii may have died.

Has anyone else got any ideas?
---
"The Wii board - where some people go to be trolls, and others go to be trolled." (LimblessQuasar 2011)
MW3(PAL): B-B-B-Bean64!!
#3RyuVegasPosted 11/24/2011 4:54:32 AM
I've had this happened to me a few times in the 5 years I've owned my Wii but never consecutively and never continuously. It usually just means the laser eye mechanism got stuck and couldn't move and usually a system reset is all it takes to fix it. But if it keeps happening?

It means your disc drive might actually be permanently broken. But Nintendo is prepared for this. Since you haven't done anything illegal to it give them a call and they should be able to help you. Don't know how much money it will cost though. I've never needed Service.
---
"Sports need steroids. Babe Ruth? Um, excuse me? Breaking records before black people were allowed to play? Where's that asterisk?" - Daniel Tosh
#4Ionizer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 9:23:52 AM
Update: Now it seems to be taking certain games, but it keeps making weird noises (the disc drive spinning too loudly, that same clack, clack clack noise, etc.). I'm afraid to actually play anything in case it scratches the disc. Sometimes it gets the error message, sometimes it just plain doesn't read (it accepts the disc, but the Disc Channel doesn't change to it's icon), and occasionally, it loads the game (to the disc channel, like I said, I haven't actually tried playing yet).

Any opinions?
---
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#5_Celestial_Posted 11/24/2011 10:41:18 AM
This happened to me too. I never dropped it or bumped it too, it always stays in the same place. Then the disk drive just randomly broke is what I thought. Eventually the wii won't be able to play any disc games at all and will have to be sent for repairs.
---
Rin
#6ZendaikPosted 11/24/2011 11:34:37 AM
The sound is a problem with your Wii drive unfortunately. My Wii's been making sounds for a long time. Still reads all my discs, though it has had some trouble in the past but then it just fixed itself over time. Kinda annoying though, but I feel like it's gotten a bit quieter lately.

As for the error messages, try this. Put your Wii flat down horizontally instead of on the stand. My Wii had problems reading Xenoblade when I first got it and my Wii was placed vertically on the stand. I put it flat down and it read the game fine.

You could also try vacuuming the vents btw. That's what I did in tandem with putting my Wii horizontally.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#7Ionizer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2011 11:05:13 PM
Is it okay to vacuum it? It won't damage it?

I guess I could try some of these things, but tomorrow, I'm a little Midnight Black Friday'd out right now.
---
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#8ZendaikPosted 11/24/2011 11:59:55 PM
Yeah it's fine. I mean don't overdo it I guess but cleaning out the vents could help.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#9smoky820Posted 11/25/2011 1:14:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10smoky820Posted 11/25/2011 1:54:21 AM
smoky820 posted...
i actually got the same problem, and im not sure what it is. i was playing zelda and then the next time i turned the game on i got that black error screen as it tried to read the game.
ive never had any trouble with my wii reading games and zelda was working fine untill then.

it does this on other games too since it happened the first time. also ive noticed that sometimes it will work and when it does there are no problems at all no matter how long i play.

i have no idea if its related but my wii froze after the install of the new firmware that came with zelda.

EDIT: i forgot to mention i get the black error screen in the wii menu (im guessing while the console tries to read the disk before i even go to the game channel)
---
scientists had till Dec 31 2009 to get off their asses and create megaman. they failed us.