This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Wii play DVDs?

#1CaptainJuarezPosted 2/6/2012 7:28:30 PM
Please and thankee-sai.
---
The most dangerous terrorists are in the United States government
#2RyuVegasPosted 2/6/2012 7:53:01 PM
Nooooope.*pop* Sorry mate.

You could do illegal things to get it to play DVDs though. But there is some running issues sometimes I've heard reported if you do. But y'know, illegal and a hassle.

Shame Nintendo only cares about streaming and possibly downloaidng movies to their consoles yet not let disc playaback? The most readily available way to watch movies probably in the whole world. And it completely contradicts their "we only make consoles to play games, and many people already have a DVD and/or blu-ray player so we don't see why its necessary for movie playback as we just want you to play our games," stance. But whatever.
---
GamesNP: SMG2, DKCR, Sonic Colors, Skyward Sword, Rayman Origins, MPTrilogy, Kirby's RtD
FavMusic: Trance, Drum'N'Bass - Fav DJs: Gareth Emery, Pendulum
#3drewdrewdrewPosted 2/6/2012 8:24:03 PM
i really need a dvd player right now, and the only thing i have available to hook up to my Samsung 32" LCD TV is my Wii.

too bad Nintendo did everything backwards this gen....now i have to spend money on a dvd player, which is only pushing me in the direction of the PS3....a blu-ray player is even better, plus i get to play the great games avaiable for that system....and an actual online service to boot!
#4_CARLOX_Posted 2/6/2012 8:25:34 PM
Yes, wii disc are essentially dvds but aren't called that cause nintendo doesn't want to pay fees.

---
I will only stop drinking when I fall in love... Or fall dead.
#5FF_FiendPosted 2/9/2012 9:05:35 AM
It will read DVD's if you softmod your wii (very easy to do, especially on backwards compatible models).

And for the record, I only support softmodding for this and a couple other useful features. I do not support online piracy. I've bought or rented all the wii games I've played.
---
Playing: Skyrim (PS3); DC Universe Online (PS3); Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii); Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#6ScoutisabellePosted 2/9/2012 10:07:07 AM
drewdrewdrew posted...
i really need a dvd player right now, and the only thing i have available to hook up to my Samsung 32" LCD TV is my Wii.

You can buy a DVD player for under $50, or a Blu-Ray player for under $100.
And I wouldn't want the Wii to play DVDs anyway.
It will just burn out the Wii's laser quicker and shorten the life of the console.
My PS2 plays DVDs, but I'd never use it.
---
Now playing: Jade Empire (Xbox), King Kong (Gamecube on Wii), Gradius V (PS2)
#7iMURDAuPosted 2/9/2012 10:33:40 AM
Lol my PS2 forced me to buy a stand alone dvd player since it couldn't play a dvd worth a crap. And to drewdrewdrew I do hope you know you could buy one for the price of $20 right now.
---
**Knope for City Council 2012**
Bobby Newport never worked a day in his life
#8NeojianXPosted 2/9/2012 10:35:25 AM(edited)
There was a Panasonic Gamecube that cost $500.00 at launch that played DVDs. Did they make a Panasonic Wii?

For $25-29.99 there was a disk and wireless remote that allowed you to play DVDs on a Dreamcast.
---
Adele and Rihanna for the Win.
#9suprsoliderPosted 2/9/2012 11:27:00 AM
Lol my PS2 forced me to buy a stand alone dvd player since it couldn't play a dvd worth a crap. And to drewdrewdrew I do hope you know you could buy one for the price of $20 right now.
---

Maybe your PS2 ran DVD's like crap.
The only DVD I ever had a problem with on PS2 is Who Framed Roger Rabbit? It used to freeze when Jessica took the stage (not that I mind, I could stare at her all day long)
---
"Those who say it's impossible to do something should not disturb those who attempt to accomplish."
Wii Code:7975 8057 2122 7057 PSN ID: CF-105
#10iMURDAuPosted 2/9/2012 12:04:52 PM
It stalled on Attack of the Clones when Obi-Wan is being pursued thru the asteroid field. Every. Single. Time. It hiccuped thru a brand new copy of Friday. After I bought 3 new DVDs one payday and the ****er refused to read any of them I gave up. Even after having dre issues later and subsequent repairs, it had issues with the vast majority of my collection. Main reason I swore off Sony for the past 11 years.
---
**Knope for City Council 2012**
Bobby Newport never worked a day in his life