This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wii on a hd tv

#11cedricthegreat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2012 9:03:20 PM
let me rephrase my original question. How will a wii hooked up to a 32" sony bravia via component cables look playing Xenoblade and The Last Story? Would it be better to just hook up the wii to a SD tv when playing these two games?
---
everyone plays video games I want to make them
#12LuigisBroPosted 3/31/2012 9:38:58 PM
Jason Hart Maivia posted...
Many Wii games are last-gen ports with no real widescreen options. For example, even though Densha De Go: Shinkansen EX is a reworked version of an older PS2 game, it still doesn't offer any widescreen or progressive scan video options.

There are also Wii-exclusive games with no widescreen or progressive video options either, like Harvest Moon Animal Parade and Trauma Center: Second Opinion. Even though Trauma Team is also available on the Nintendo DS, the Wii version is not a straight port.

With 480p and widescreen options available, it's not that the Wii was designed to be played that way, but that its games may or may not support everything the Wii can do. Even Wario Land: Shake It, a 1st-party game, keeps the 4:3 gameplay image, but shows detailed borders when the Wii is set to use widescreen mode. In this case, there is no advantage given when playing in widescreen mode, and you'll get a sharper image if you keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 (Normal) in the Wii options menu.

you're just cherry picking, fact of the matter is that plenty of games like Dead Rising, Metroid, New Super Mario Bros, Sin & Punishment, etc are letterboxed on SDTVs, the only way to fully experience them is on HDTVs, the reason Trauma Center remained 4:3 is because it did reused assets from the DS version like the backgrounds, and anamorphic video is nothing new, if you're getting artifacting then your HDTV simply isn't very good
---
E3 predictions - slimmer PS3, PS3 DQX-2, WiiU - $399, new GameBoy
#13LuigisBroPosted 3/31/2012 9:43:53 PM
cedricthegreat posted...
let me rephrase my original question. How will a wii hooked up to a 32" sony bravia via component cables look playing Xenoblade and The Last Story? Would it be better to just hook up the wii to a SD tv when playing these two games?

Wii with component looks great on Bravias, these games are probably gonna be letterboxed on a SDTV
---
E3 predictions - slimmer PS3, PS3 DQX-2, WiiU - $399, new GameBoy
#14Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 4/1/2012 12:17:07 AM(edited)
cedricthegreat posted...

They'll look fine on HDTVs.
If you've played older consoles, like a PS2 or Gamecube on an HDTV, then don't expect anything better than that.

No matter which tv set you use, SD or HDTV, there won't be too much of a difference between them. Good-looking Wii games will still look nice.
Just remember to use component cables!
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
SSBB: 3652-6261-7096 + Mario Kart Wii: 2707-7247-9079 + Samurai Warriors 3: 0346-6035-0276
#15Jason Hart MaiviaPosted 4/1/2012 12:20:44 AM(edited)
LuigisBro posted...

you're just cherry picking, fact of the matter is that plenty of games like Dead Rising, Metroid, New Super Mario Bros, Sin & Punishment, etc are letterboxed on SDTVs, the only way to fully experience them is on HDTVs, the reason Trauma Center remained 4:3 is because it did reused assets from the DS version like the backgrounds, and anamorphic video is nothing new, if you're getting artifacting then your HDTV simply isn't very good

Like I've stated earlier, I have experience with the Wii on multiple television sets - HD and SD.

Yes, I know that anamorphic widescreen isn't new. But it does mean something when SD images needs to be stretched to fill in an HDTV's screen. A great example of this is SSX Tricky on PS2. The Normal and both Widescreen options on SD TVs give you the same quality picture, only that the widescreen options fills in more of the screen horizontally. You're only getting a larger picture.
Now, when played on HDTVs, the picture is blurrier in Normal mode, and even more blurry when in either widescreen modes. My other post explains why. It's not cherry-picking. It's fact.
I've also stated that good-looking games will look fine.

There's no such thing as "fully experiencing" a game. You either have fun with what you have or not. Having no widescreen television or even a surround sound system doesn't mean that you'll be missing out on fun. I've also said that some games on Wii still force a 4:3 image even if your system is set to Widescreen, like Wario Land: Shake it and Densha de Go, and yes, some games, like New Super Mario Bros., force a letterboxed image. But there are also SD widescreen and non-widescreen tvs that also have zoom/crop/full screen video settings like most HDTVs today, but as I've said about stretching images, it won't look as crisp and sharp as the original video format. It'll still look decent.

I'm not arguing about what the Wii does, I'm just telling it like it is...it's the software that going to enforce how things are played on any of your television sets. All you can do is readjust video options to get as good a picture as you can.

Please don't be offended by what I've stated, LuigisBro. I've never said that playing Wii on HDTVs was bad or wrong. It's also how I'm playing it in my bedroom. I'm just stating facts.

Another thing ...
If you see artifacting only when playing the Wii, it's most-likely the game console that's experiencing problems, not the tv. The Wii has had reported issues about this problem. Nintendo does repairs if you call and tell them about it.
---
Praise Rainbow Mika
SSBB: 3652-6261-7096 + Mario Kart Wii: 2707-7247-9079 + Samurai Warriors 3: 0346-6035-0276