This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best RPG of all time?

#61sinnycoolPosted 5/1/2012 1:19:17 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics - I know its a tactical rpg but its one of few ive played through at least 3 times.

Diablo 2 - I still play this
#62NeojianXPosted 5/1/2012 1:37:47 PM
The ones I play the most are usually card and/or turn-based.

I played Culdcept, Culdcept Saga and Shin Megami Tensei JRPGs more than most RPGs. I played FFVIII and FFIX more than the other S-E JRPGs.

Actually Squaresoft and Enix were better as separate companies, as far as making good long JRPGs go. Enix had some awesome SRPGs and JRPGs for the PS1.
---
I want to fight Aliens with Rihanna.
#63XImperialDragonPosted 5/1/2012 6:11:04 PM

^^^^^SMT????? (caps)

Shin Megami Tensei. Moniker of the Persona games, or notably one of the hardest RPGs I've ever played, SMT 3: Nocturne.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#64Wheels2050Posted 5/2/2012 5:40:05 AM
YoYoLeFtToRiTe posted...
Dude, Baldur's Gate 2 was the biggest letdown of the series. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. Was it the overpowering of your enemies confusing you, or the fact that the level design completely lost it's flair that you're having the most trouble coping with? Question answered in full.

I am talking about Champions. And don't sit there and tell me it was made by the same makers of Baldur's Gate. Everyone knows that they are the same kind of game. They were just ten times better. And more challenging.

Anything else?

What are you talking about? BGII is excellent - and it's not just my opinion. It's routinely considered one of the best RPGs ever made.

Just to be clear, this is Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn we're talking about. Not Dark Alliance II.

BGII would probably have my vote at this stage, although I haven't played a lot of the other classics, or any console RPGs for that matter apart from Pokemon.

I saw someone mentioned Arcanum earlier. I agree it's good, and I love the world it's set in, but I don't think it could be considered in the running for best ever purely because of the large number of bugs in the game.
---
Pokemon White FC: 1420 7026 1980
#65CyricsServantPosted 5/2/2012 8:44:38 AM
My vote goes to Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

I'll go one step further and call it the best game of all time.
---
You sound like republican cowboy, "i hate you opinion on zelda, i shoot you." - TyrantSandwich
#66LimblessQuasarPosted 5/2/2012 10:15:04 AM
Wheels2050 posted...
I saw someone mentioned Arcanum earlier. I agree it's good, and I love the world it's set in, but I don't think it could be considered in the running for best ever purely because of the large number of bugs in the game.

Were they ever patched properly...? I think most people are completely forgiving of bugs in late-era 90's PC games. It seems like no "classic" game from that period (or on, really) could manage to ship as a complete product.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#67kbe2k2Posted 5/2/2012 10:21:00 AM(edited)
There was a huge unofficial patch that fixed a lot of the bugs in Arcanum.
#68NitroGamerSNESPosted 5/2/2012 3:18:02 PM
Pokemon
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#69StephieGamerPosted 5/2/2012 3:23:41 PM
The original Xbox had some great Non-JRPGs: Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Fable.
---
I heart Queen_of_Owls
Number of times I've been called: Awesome: 139 Cool: 74
#70Ampharos64Posted 5/2/2012 6:40:05 PM
I love Tales of the Abyss. I'm fond of the Tales of series in general (though do not consider all entries objectively good), but that one really does stand out to me as something special. I adored all the characters, they were each very well-developed, and I liked that the developers weren't afraid to make them genuinely flawed (leading to many, many complaints about them from my fellow forum users, especially the main character with his initial attitude, which for me only made him more interesting). Due to that, they just feel so much more believable, and more human, than most JRPG casts. There's a huge amount of detail, the Tales of series' skits are used perfectly to both add humour and to further the character development, the worldbuilding was very strong. Overall the plot is structured well, the themes are interwoven strongly with every aspect and I enjoyed the many parallels between characters and situations. It may not be completely perfect, but it is my perfect JRPG.

Skies of Arcadia, I love it for its sense of adventure and discovery. It's just fun, I enjoyed exploring the world, the battle system with its brilliantly over-the-top special moves, and liked the characters (especially Gilder). And airships are just plain cool, right?

Both of the above are included with my all time favourite games, up there with Ocarina of Time and Okami as the four that were really special to me.
JRPGs are easily my favourite genre, I'm not particularly interested in other types of game any more.
---
Currently waiting for the UK release of Tales of Graces f!