This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wii backwards compatibility

#1Darkstorm16Posted 1/6/2013 3:24:11 PM
I have not had the pleasure to obtain a Wii and was thinking of getting a Wii over the WiiU....because the updates worry me on the WiiU (i fear bricking or my internet connection becomes irritating), games i like i can pretty much get on a 3ds and PS3, it costs alittle more, plus i just adored my gamecube. If it wasn't for virtual console i would just pick up a Gamecube. How can you tell if a Wii is backwards compatible? Also which one would u personally go for?
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#2NettoSaitoPosted 1/6/2013 4:27:55 PM(edited)
Well I hate to tell you this, but most Wiis now days are not backwards compatible. You'll have to find one of the older models/ones that stand up right, and even then you'll have to download updates for it as well. Really if that's the only thing putting you off from getting a Wii U, you might as well just get a Wii U lol. I mean, the only update you really have to worry about is the initial update, and if anything goes wrong (like it did for me X_x), you can just return it for another unit. After the initial update there's actually a download manager that downloads the complete file first, so updates are downloaded much safer.

As far as GameCube games go, currently they can't be played on the Wii U, but Nintendo will be releasing them in the eShop sooner or later. Really I'm looking forward to this feature the most since GCN games are now basically completely gone. This will finally give me the chance to play a lot of great titles I missed out on!

Still if you don't mind being limited to a smaller library, maybe you should just get a Wii lol. I mean yeah there's only a hand full of great games for it, but it is a lot cheaper (200 bucks cheaper)...

Anyway

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Hardware-Bundle-Black-Nintendo/dp/B0045F8QDE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357514692&sr=8-4&keywords=wii+black+console

This would be the Wii you would most likely want to get. It comes with Wii Sports and Wii Sports resort (which are normally 50 bucks each), it comes with a Wii Motion Plus controller (another 50 bucks and required for the newer games), and it's also the original color the revolution was going to be. Kind of nice fan service in a way lol

There's also a red mario bundle, but NSMB Wii really isn't worth it, and you can actually get it really cheap now days now that NSMB2 and NSMBU are out.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#3leeko_linkPosted 1/6/2013 5:21:50 PM
Darkstorm16 posted...
I have not had the pleasure to obtain a Wii and was thinking of getting a Wii over the WiiU....because the updates worry me on the WiiU (i fear bricking or my internet connection becomes irritating), games i like i can pretty much get on a 3ds and PS3, it costs alittle more, plus i just adored my gamecube. If it wasn't for virtual console i would just pick up a Gamecube. How can you tell if a Wii is backwards compatible? Also which one would u personally go for?

You can tell a Wii is GameCube backwards compatible by following these steps:

- Look at the box, if it had a picture of the Wii standing vertical then it's backwards compatible.

- Look at the back of the Wii console, near the serial number, see if the model revision is RVL-001. If it's anything other than that (something like RVL-101) then it's not backwards compatible.

- Try flipping the panel to the left of the Wii, if it revealed GameCube controller ports than it's backwards compatible. If it doesn't had an open panel then it's not bc.

- Insert a GameCube game into the Wii, if you see the GameCube logo at the Wii disc channel, then it's backwards compatible. If it's RVL-001 and it doesn't show the GameCube logo when you inserted a GameCube game in it then the laser lens must be defect.

How to buy a Wii that had GCN backwards compatibility console online:

- Search only for a Wii console that is version RVL-001.

- Make sure the photo the seller shown are official and not photoshop or taken from prototype shot. I know I order one that had an original Wii box on Amazon but end up with the one that's not bc. Make sure they had photo shot of the GCN ports too.

- Make sure it cost reasonable like around $80-$120, if it's sell for less than $50 than it's likely broked, had laser problems, or is bricked.

How to buy a Wii that had GCN backwards compatibility console offline:

- Makes sure the seller let you test the console first before buying.

- Refer back to above step on checking if it's GCN bc or not.

- Make sure both laser works, the Wii had two lasers, one for reading single layer disc (all GameCube games and a lot of Wii games use this) and one for dual layer disc (larger Wii games like Skyward Sword, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Monster Hunter Tri use this).

- Make sure the system isn't hacked or modified, you could test this by formatting the console.
#4super_cloutPosted 1/6/2013 8:20:03 PM
just get a red wii, then you know it wii be BC
#5Lum_YatsuraPosted 1/7/2013 9:41:08 AM
Avoid the blue wii! That never supported gamecube.

Japanese wii (if for some reason you ever need one) is always BC. The new model didn't release there.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#6mothballsPosted 1/7/2013 9:56:54 AM
your better off looking on your local craiglist for a wii.
---
We are losing money not because of pirates; we are losing money because people decided not to buy our game. -CD Projekt dev
#7NettoSaitoPosted 1/7/2013 10:22:10 AM
Actually, changes are if you bought one there, it will be used. The thing about used Wiis is that you really don't know if they can play GCN games or not. Back when the Wii first launched they actually had issues playing dual layered discs, and the only way to fix them was to send them in to Nintendo; if you did that however, then they would actually replace the laser with one that does NOT read GCN discs. Since it's impossible to tell if a used Wii was fixed by Nintendo or not, it's better to just get a new one.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
#8Darkstorm16(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 11:29:17 AM
i'm one of those that prefer buying the stuff new because i don't know what the used has been through. So i suppose if i cant find a new Wii backwards i guess a WiiU
---
Current Systems: 3DS, DSlite, IPod Touch
If There is Evil in this world it lurks in the hearts of Man- Tales of Phantasia
#9Lum_YatsuraPosted 1/7/2013 12:28:13 PM
Actually, changes are if you bought one there, it will be used. The thing about used Wiis is that you really don't know if they can play GCN games or not. Back when the Wii first launched they actually had issues playing dual layered discs, and the only way to fix them was to send them in to Nintendo; if you did that however, then they would actually replace the laser with one that does NOT read GCN discs. Since it's impossible to tell if a used Wii was fixed by Nintendo or not, it's better to just get a new one.

Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, Wii versions that won't read GCN discs weren't introduced until 2011.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#10NettoSaitoPosted 1/7/2013 12:37:17 PM
Lum_Yatsura posted...

Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, Wii versions that won't read GCN discs weren't introduced until 2011.

Well I follow just about everything gaming related, and this is just a piece of info I've come across many times, and I've seen quite a few times as well. Pretty sure there is also a disclaimer somewhere on Nintendo's tech support which talks about it as well. For some reason they new laser doesn't have the ability to play GCN games, and that was before they started selling models with it. Really not sure why Nintendo would do something like this, but they do.

Sadly a lot of people dont find out about this until its too late, when they get their Wii back and try to play a GCN game.
---