This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good "jump in and play for an hour" type games?

#1spooiePosted 2/9/2013 10:45:45 AM
Something that won't take me hours on end to beat that I can put down and forget about for a week if I need to and just pick up and place once in a while. Seems like pretty much everything I can think of is either a great expansive, time-consuming game... or shovelware.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#2Skygor_IIPosted 2/9/2013 1:09:22 PM
I describe these kinds of games as "short & sweet".

* any Kirby
* any rail shooter

Elebits
Excitebots
Geometry Wars: Galaxies*
Ghostbusters
Help Wanted - the cover it awful but the game is good.
Munchables
Muramasa* - if you don't care about the story, just follow the arrows
Monster Lab
Punch-Out*
Sky Crawlers
Spectrobes: Origins - skip the cut scenes
Spyborgs*

* These might be hard to pick up from resting if you "forget" your skills for higher levels.
---
backloggery.com/skygor
#3HerPandaPosted 2/9/2013 2:17:41 PM
I'll second

Excitebots: Trick Racing
Punch Out!!*

and also recommend

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Rayman Origins
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Rhythm Heaven Fever*
Metal Slug Anthology
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

*also means the same thing as in Skygor's post. If you don't beat whatever fight/song you're on and come back a week later, you may or may not have to get used to the patterns for that specific fight/song.

Note that Sengoku Basara levels will normally take about 40 minutes to complete iirc (or it might be 20 mins), give or take 10 minutes depending if you're capturing and killing everything or not. The others have some pretty short level times, ranging from 5 to 30 minutes, and shouldn't be too hard to get back into after a while.
#4GuestonPosted 2/9/2013 3:26:54 PM
Ghost Squad
Ivy the Kiwi?
Trauma Center series
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 or 3
---
The Last Story: ROOK7 (PAL). Ghoston / GE FC: 4964-1791-6409.
http://www.youtube.com/user/guestface
#5LimblessQuasarPosted 2/9/2013 4:10:18 PM
Seconding;

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Ivy the Kiwi?

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Metal Slug Anthology

And I'd throw out Castle of Shikigami III as well.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#6TerotrousPosted 2/9/2013 5:04:51 PM
Most arcade-style sports games are good for this:

Some of the better sports games on Wii:

Shaun White Snowboarding
Super Swing Golf
Skate It
NBA Jam
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#7spooie(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 11:52:14 AM(edited)
Thanks, all. I can't believe I forgot about DKCR. I still need to buy that. Also... what are Sky Crawlers, Monster Lab, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes and Skate it?

It's been too long since I played my Wii, but I just hooked it up to my new 47" 1080p HDTV in the living room and the thing looks great on it. Ever better than it did on my 32" 720p TV I have upstairs that I use for the 360. I'm starting to think that all of the people who complain about how the Wii looks back on an HDTV simply haven't calibrated their TV correctly.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#8HerPandaPosted 2/10/2013 12:16:12 PM
Sengoku Basara is very similar to Dynasty Warriors in that you fight hordes of enemies. It's set in Japan instead, and is very over-the-top unrealistic. I heavily prefer Sengoku Basara to DW because it's filled with some corny humor, is more colorful and lively, and the character's stories have some nice touches of variation (aside from the 4 guys on the front. Those 4 guys have practically the same story, but everyone else's is pretty unique and fun).

You also level up, giving you access to more moves after each battle or so, keeping things fresh (it helps to have a friend co-op with you, as they can level up another character and it's just more fun that way anyway). It also has some of the best voice acting I've heard in a video game; the voices really fit the characters.

It's not the best game, but it's a solid hack 'n slash that's even better with co-op.

I haven't played the others, but from looking it up, Sky Crawlers is an airplane shooting game. From what I've read about it, it's a pre-quel to an anime of the same name. I also read that the controls take some getting used to, but there are lots of control options (both motion and traditional). I haven't played it yet, so that's all I can offer on that.
#9Skygor_IIPosted 2/10/2013 1:40:28 PM
Monster Lab is a breeding/construction & 'mon game similiar to Custom Robo or Pokemon. You fight monsters in turn base combat. However you build them body part by body part. This head has a laser, while this one bites. Do I want a Chain Saw, Flamethrower, or Squid Arm? Etc. You build the parts in minigames. Better scores and ingredients used make better parts.
---
backloggery.com/skygor
#10TerotrousPosted 2/10/2013 8:48:53 PM
Skate It is similar to the old Tony Hawk games, except it's a bit more open and technical. Like Shaun White, it's also got a surprising amount of charm, in this case from your funny cameraman who follows you around and provides commentary on everything you do (lucky, he has an extremely large number of lines and doesn't repeat them often).
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery