This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Top 5 Third Party Games

#21TheReaSolCutterPosted 4/10/2013 9:52:26 AM
Ghost Squad and Ultimate All Stars are both essentially arcade ports. But whatever....

I'm going to make my own rules.

1) initial home console appearance on Wii.
2) the label on the bottom right of the game - typically the publisher - doesn't say 'Nintendo' in North America

A) Last Story
B) Klonoa
C) Final Fantasy CC Crystal Bearers
D) James Bond 007
E) Fishing Resort
#22Ryan SiPosted 4/10/2013 1:24:59 PM
1. Bit.Trip Complete
2. Geometry Wars: Galaxies
3. The Last Story (Not published by Nintendo in U.S)
4. No More Heroes

Those are the only third-party Wii games I own and outside of some Rabbids games and HotD: Overkill....the only ones I've played. I have Rayman Origins on PS3 otherwise it'd be on the list and Pandora's Tower will probably be on it soon enough.
---
Generation's Best: Portal 2 (PC), Xenoblade (Wii)
#23TalesRevenant(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 11:35:40 PM
While it's true The Last Story isn't published by Nintendo here, it is still a game Nintendo helped create. Same goes for Pandora's Tower, so it's excluded.

There's a reason why I was interested in this kind of list. Mainly to see just how good 'exclusive' third party support stacks up on Wii, and from the way I see it based on everyone's lists so far, it's pretty lackluster. Worse than GameCube.

But from the small amount of games it does have, Wii definitely has a strong third party line-up, albeit a tiny one.
---
Currently playing:
Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#24CSplitterPosted 4/11/2013 3:39:48 AM
TalesRevanant posted...
While it's true The Last Story isn't published by Nintendo here, it is still a game Nintendo helped create. Same goes for Pandora's Tower, so it's excluded.

There's a reason why I was interested in this kind of list. Mainly to see just how good 'exclusive' third party support stacks up on Wii, and from the way I see it based on everyone's lists so far, it's pretty lackluster. Worse than GameCube.

But from the small amount of games it does have, Wii definitely has a strong third party line-up, albeit a tiny one.

I wouldn't say it's worse that the Gamecube one. Even if you ask a Gamecube board about their favourite third parties, the list would be similarly small as well. It is just that some 3rd parties get way more love than other ones, especially on the Wii, where people have completely ignored some games.

I'm also saddened by the complete lack of House of the Dead: Overkill in this topic.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#25TheReaSolCutterPosted 4/11/2013 10:08:11 AM
So for rail shooters I would actually place Overkill below Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space Extraction (and below Ghost Squad, too). I don't like the "humor" in Overkill and the action isn't quite frantic enough.

Regarding Last Story, I've read the Iwata Asks and there's very little indication that Nintendo had much to do with its design and development. Yes, Nintendo paid for it and marketed it in Japan and Europe- OK. But I think what's important is to highlight games that weren't made by Nintendo. Last Story was designed by Mistwalker and developed by AQ Interactive. Nintendo paid the bills and bought magazine ads (except not in North America). I'm comfortable with my reasoning.

Gamecube had better third party exclusives? List them and defend them. NO WAY do they match what Wii had in number.
#26CSplitterPosted 4/11/2013 11:50:09 AM
TheReaSolCutter posted...
So for rail shooters I would actually place Overkill below Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space Extraction (and below Ghost Squad, too). I don't like the "humor" in Overkill and the action isn't quite frantic enough.

Regarding Last Story, I've read the Iwata Asks and there's very little indication that Nintendo had much to do with its design and development. Yes, Nintendo paid for it and marketed it in Japan and Europe- OK. But I think what's important is to highlight games that weren't made by Nintendo. Last Story was designed by Mistwalker and developed by AQ Interactive. Nintendo paid the bills and bought magazine ads (except not in North America). I'm comfortable with my reasoning.

Gamecube had better third party exclusives? List them and defend them. NO WAY do they match what Wii had in number.

The "humour" lied in references to certain 60s (and 70s) movies in both atmosphere and parody. The game is intentionally cheesy and quite self aware.

For example, remember a scene where a guys glasses fall off after getting punch, then magically reappear on his face? That's not a mistake on the game's part.

The actual humour is pretty subtle and hidden behind the F-bombs.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#27Dark_SilverXPosted 4/11/2013 6:05:54 PM
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter Tri

Only two third party games I cared for
---
Carmine is a beast. No matter how many times he dies.
http://i.imgur.com/FrZIT.jpg
#28Tauro_FcPosted 4/11/2013 11:57:31 PM
-Fragile dreams

-Arc Rise Fantasia

-PES any year (it counts because It's a completely different game than the ps360 versions)

-zack and wiki

-conduit 2

Honorable mention: nights: journey of dreams, tales of symphonia: dawn of the new world, twinkle queen, bleach versus crusade and sky crawlers: innocent aces.
#29Da DoodPosted 4/12/2013 5:44:43 AM
No More Heroes and 2, Muramasa, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, MadWorld.

Pretty simple list to make, those are the only third party games I cared about. None of them come close to Ninty's own, though.

I know some of them got ported eventually, but they were created for the Wii.
---
And this time!
#30LimblessQuasarPosted 4/12/2013 12:10:46 PM
TalesRevanant posted...

I'd love to create a list for comparison, N64 vs. GC vs. Wii. Don't really have the time for it right now though. The Wii argument does get stronger with imports (moreso than the previous two), but I think what these lists show is that the top 3-6 3rd party games are head-and-shoulders above the others.

Also, there was never any indication that Nintendo had more development in, say, The Last Story, than they did in Baiten Kaitos. Mistwalker knows what it was doing. IIRC, Ninty did play around with Project Zero and Pandora's Tower, so you can exclude those if you like, but TLS is a bit different.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_