This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Xenoblade so expensive?

#1TroutPastePosted 7/20/2013 5:34:39 PM
It's a popular series on a console with 90 million units..... what's the deal? They didn't make very many?
---
Now Playing: F-Zero GX, Devil May Cry
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv59/poliwogs1982/castaway_zps1f73f0e6.png
#2CSplitterPosted 7/20/2013 6:54:34 PM
The NTSC version is the one that's expensive. Nintendo was hesitant to even release the game in those territories. They ended up doing a limited release, only through Gamestop and their the official Nintendo website. The demand ended up being bigger than they expected. So, high demand and relatively few copies make for a high price.

It's mainly NoA making bad decisions.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#3djrudenPosted 7/21/2013 10:52:12 AM
In North America the game had a very low print run. I'll let you use your own economic brainpower to deduce how the laws of supply and demand have driven up the price.
#4spooiePosted 7/21/2013 12:04:37 PM
It was a Gamestop exclusive with almost no copies of the game available. Nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, thought more people wanted to buy Flingsmash instead, and they're too stubborn to have re-released mort copies of the game.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#5TroutPaste(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 8:29:58 PM
Thanks for the answers. Hopefully they rerelease it with a Wii U sequel. In America. People have it at the top of their Wii lists and I'd like to play it. I guess they're making that X game.
---
Now Playing: F-Zero GX, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv59/poliwogs1982/castaway_zps1f73f0e6.png
#6Lum_YatsuraPosted 7/22/2013 12:55:19 AM(edited)
Even then the game itself has "officially" less content than Europe.
Italian and German were left enabled on disc, taking basic homebrew for American Wii to use (Japanese doesn't count as PAL Wii also lacks that option).
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#7jsb0714Posted 7/23/2013 8:19:32 AM
CSplitter posted...
The NTSC version is the one that's expensive. Nintendo was hesitant to even release the game in those territories. They ended up doing a limited release, only through Gamestop and their the official Nintendo website. The demand ended up being bigger than they expected. So, high demand and relatively few copies make for a high price.

Or TC for not buying it. That couldn't be it, could it?
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#8jrb363Posted 7/23/2013 9:58:40 PM
jsb0714 posted...
CSplitter posted...

Not necessarily. The game was only released at Gamestop with a very limited print run. Despite them trying to shove 'reserves' down my throat this game was never mentioned once. It was sold out in my area (1.8 million people) the same day it released. If you weren't at the store you missed it. I've only seen it twice in a Gamestop since then used.
---
YamiYugi4400: Your words wound me my lovely Zero
Spookyryu: Indeed, pretty strong words, you should call an ambulance wii u wiiii uuu
#9Lum_YatsuraPosted 7/23/2013 10:58:34 PM
jrb363 posted...
jsb0714 posted...
CSplitter posted...

Not necessarily. The game was only released at Gamestop with a very limited print run. Despite them trying to shove 'reserves' down my throat this game was never mentioned once. It was sold out in my area (1.8 million people) the same day it released. If you weren't at the store you missed it. I've only seen it twice in a Gamestop since then used.

Yeah people online tend to overlook rural areas where these types of games may or may not even be formally released and distributed by their publisher.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#10Ryan SiPosted 7/26/2013 8:42:27 AM
It was available for pre-order online through GameStop and Nintendo's website. It was also available for at least a month or two new on GameStop.com.

These "my store only received a small amount of copies" excuses don't hold any water. If you live in a rural area (not heavily populated) and there aren't many stores around, order online.

Yeah, Nintendo deserves some blame for underestimating the demand, but JRPGs, especially these days...are a good bet to pre-order due to how niche they've become. Chances are copies won't be available forever.
---
Most Anticipated: TMNT: Out of the Shadows, Grand Theft Auto V, Final Fantasy X HD