This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Wii just became worthless

#1skermacPosted 4/8/2014 3:17:47 PM(edited)
Looks like I am forced to buy a Wii U now thanks to the jerks and idiots at Nintendo. Why would they do this? Does anyone know if the Wii U is bc? Can I use my Gamecube controller on the Wii U? I use it all the time on my Wii because I love that controller.

"April 8 is also another day in which multiplayer servers are being shut down as Nintendo is flipping the switch for the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. All Wii and DS systems will no longer be able play online multiplayer games across the internet."

http://www.inquisitr.com/1203710/sony-shutting-down-multiplayer-servers-for-insomniacs-resistance-fall-of-man-on-april-8/
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2GaullerPosted 4/8/2014 4:48:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3NGagePosted 4/8/2014 5:22:17 PM
It's May 20 when the online is taken down, not today.

skermac posted...
Does anyone know if the Wii U is bc?

Yes but after May 20 you won't be able to play online Wii games on that either.

skermac posted...
Can I use my Gamecube controller on the Wii U? I use it all the time on my Wii because I love that controller.

Wii U is not backwards compatible with GameCube games or accessories. However there are third party adapters to allow the use of the controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
---
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
#4skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2014 6:48:20 PM
NGage posted...
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

This adapter looks great, thanks for the info!
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#5SNeIaPosted 4/9/2014 4:59:48 AM
Does this include access to the Wii Shop for the Virtual Console? I mean, it would seem stupid for them to shut that down, but if that's going along with other online capabilities, I may want to get a few more games downloaded onto my Wii before then.
#6stargazer64Posted 4/9/2014 8:08:34 AM
SNeIa posted...
Does this include access to the Wii Shop for the Virtual Console? I mean, it would seem stupid for them to shut that down, but if that's going along with other online capabilities, I may want to get a few more games downloaded onto my Wii before then.

No, the shop will remain alive. Hopefully they will be able to migrate everything to the Wii U eShop eventually. If they can't then that was extremely poor planning.

Well, it was already poor planning. But that would take it to a new level.
---
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief
#7NGagePosted 4/9/2014 8:47:25 AM
stargazer64 posted...
Hopefully they will be able to migrate everything to the Wii U eShop eventually.

Seeing as Nintendo seems to have no plans for none Nintendo systems on the Wii U Virtual Console (Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, etc.) or WiiWare, I would be very surprised if that happened.

Another thing is that various games have already been removed (including the entire Commodore library). For details on which games, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)
---
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
#8ViniciusFernandPosted 4/9/2014 9:26:32 AM
The online is being shutdown because gamespy is closing it's services.
#9Vara_samaPosted 4/9/2014 1:49:14 PM
ViniciusFernand posted...
The online is being shutdown because gamespy is closing it's services.

This. Plus, I don't feel like I have to buy a WiiU/3DS now, especially since even in those the Wii and DS games will be unplayable online.

Also, at least for me, online isn't everything, other than some online-only stuff that will be permanently missable it doesn't affect me as much as I thought, so I'll still be playing my Wii for a very long time.
---
My collection of games: www.backloggery.com/mavarac
Maybe you've seen me online? I go by "Mawioc Udwoc" or just "Mawioc".
#10RLSNintendo1985Posted 4/9/2014 4:29:31 PM
Buy the new or change up. Isn't that hard.
---
"Long Live Nintendo!"
I own over 2500 games and counting. Once I own enough I'll start a review show.