Some questions for a first-time playthrough...

#1GargravarrPosted 8/25/2011 10:27:09 AM
1. Is it at all worth sticking with the Water theme and building a decent deck for use in Story Mode, or would that just be for free duels? I mean, do any of the partners work well with a Water deck?

2. Is Zane a good partner to choose for your first playthrough, and if so, what sort of deck/cards should I be aiming to collect to complement his deck?

3. Once you've unlocked a partner's pack in the shop does it always stay available, or does it become "sold out" when if you become friendlier with a different partner?

Thanks in advance.
---
God, that's not just a "leap" in logic. It's a spaceship ride up to a loony bin on the moon.
-KeybladeMasterA
#2Gargravarr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 4:22:18 PM
...Hello? Please?
---
God, that's not just a "leap" in logic. It's a spaceship ride up to a loony bin on the moon.
-KeybladeMasterA
#3Brick_Posted 8/28/2011 8:43:32 PM
1. Syrus' last deck and Bastion's Water Dragon decks (check Deck Recipe FAQ) work well with Water decks, but you shouldn't stick with it, imo. You'll come across better cards.

2. Zane is one of the better partners since he has pretty strong monsters. Chazz is the best partner though with his Persistent Pester deck, imo. Use an Ojama or Burn deck to complement it.

If you want to team up with Zane, just use a Cyber Dragon deck. Basic cards that go with him include:

3 Cyber Dragon
3 Proto-Cyber Dragon
3 Shining Angel
3 The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion

Other than that, it's pretty much staples and Limiter Removal.

Don't use Polymerization or more than 1 Power Bond. Special Summoning Cyber Dragon and then Summoning The Light and activating its effect will get you an easy Cyber Twin Dragon (also works with Proto-Cyber Dragon on the field). Shining Angel can help you get PCD and The Light easily.

3. It always stays.
---
as himself
#4Gargravarr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 9:56:17 AM(edited)
Okay... What sort of staples should I be looking out for? I mean generally, not just for this deck. I'm still pretty new to this game and I can't find a list of so-called "staples"...

And any more monster recommendations?
---
-KeybladeMasterA
#5CP_58Posted 8/29/2011 11:15:37 AM
Look out for:

Cyber Jar
Dark Hole
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon
Pot of Greed
Premature Burial
Solemn Judgment

I put those cards in all of my decks unless some really aren't needed. Run no less than 3 Solemn Judgment in your decks if you want to use it. It's 3 or none.

There's also a section in the Board FAQ that lists some cards that belong in most decks. You'll have to figure out which of those cards fit with the scheme you're running with your deck, though.

This is my Cyber Dragon deck:

Monsters: 18
1 Breaker the Magical Warrior
3 Cyber Dragon
1 Cyber Jar
1 D.D. Warrior Lady
1 Jinzo
1 Morphing Jar
3 Proto-Cyber Dragon
1 Sangan
3 Shining Angel
3 The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion

Spells: 18
2 Creature Swap
1 Dark Hole
2 Enemy Controller
1 Future Fusion
3 Giant Trunade
1 Heavy Storm
1 Limiter Removal
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Pot of Greed
1 Power Bond
1 Premature Burial
2 Smashing Ground

Traps: 4
3 Solemn Judgment
1 Torrential Tribute

Fusion Deck
3 Chimeratech Overdragon
3 Cyber End Dragon
3 Cyber Twin Dragon

Reasons why some "staple" cards are there to give you an idea:

Breaker is there to destroy any Spells or Traps that could get in the way of attacks from Cyber Twin Dragon.

D.D. Warrior Lady is there because it can be Special Summoned by Shining Angel. If the AI has a strong monster, it can take it out.

Jinzo fits with the Machine theme and is mostly a backup plan if I can't get any Cyber Dragons on the field.

Morphing Jar replenishes my hand, since I'll be using a lot to clear the field and summon Cyber Dragons.

The other Spells and Traps are self-explanatory, I think. Things to clear the field, etc. Pot of Avarice is there since a lot of monsters will be going to the Graveyard.

The main idea is to clear the opponent's side of the field and attack with Cyber Twin Dragon.

The best deck in the game, though, is Chimeratech OTK. You can read about it and find a really good one made by PenOfStone on this board. Just search "Chimeratech OTK" in the board search and it'll be there.

If you have more questions, I can just answer them here :)

Also, the Yu-Gi-Oh GX Beginning of Destiny board on PS2 is more active than this one. TF1 and BoD are the same game on different platforms.
#6GenocideHeartPosted 9/2/2011 5:33:08 PM
To add on what has been said above, don't partner with Jaden until you have a good grasp of the game. His E-Hero decks are, unfortunately, pretty janky, and it's hard to win tag duels with him without building a deck to cover his weaknessesm which isn't as easy as it sounds.

Zane is a good beginner partner. So is Bastion, surprisingly - he has some pretty brutal mono-element beatdown decks. Will lose if the game goes on too long and a combo opponent gets his game going, but that's what YOUR deck is for - being able to win mid to lategame when his deck starts losing steam.
---
** PSN ID: GenocideHeart **
Does Hydlide really count as a game? I thought it was supposed to be some kind of torture session. --Tocawe
More topics from this board...
Board FAQ, Final_Marka_Ragnos_3792/19 1:08PM