How much to expect in difficulty increase?

#1Admiralnobody88Posted 4/21/2009 11:45:41 AM
I just played my first game as the egyptians on medium and had a decent game after learning the basics, and I was just wondering if the AI gets that much better when I move up to hard?
---
Wii RB 2 FC 2176-8713-2891 420/420* endless setlist 2 vocals
http://www.imeem.com/people/iJ5nnJ check out my playlists!!
#2zhang_danPosted 4/21/2009 12:34:08 PM
There are quite a few changes at higher levels as with many games,its alot more fun for you to find them out yourself.

The game isnt impossible on VH/VH its just not so forgiving,if your worried just save the game often.

I will offer you one peice of advice,if you go into battle on VH you want to make sure you have a decent chance of victory,if you feel you havent fallback to an area where the odds will start in your favour and if your going to start on VH/VH then id suggest you pick a faction thats easy to defend with and dosnt start surrounded by other factions.

If you find its too much and somtimes it is as every game can be different id suggest upping the map difficulty then once youve beaten that up the battle difficulty,you will see why if you try going straight to VH/VH,you may get away with going from med/med to H/H

But when you want to increase from that try VH/H first.

And lastly goodluck
---
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." Bertrand Russell
#3zyxosPosted 4/21/2009 1:44:15 PM

I didn't notice any difference on the battle from medium to very hard, army seems bigger but AI tactics looks alike. Heavy cavalry is compulsory and will drain your finance a lot more.

On the campaign difficulty, then war is declared more often and alliance breaks sooner. There are more spy, assassin and inquisitor as well. Was a while but also public order was higher in city. Also enemy do transport some troops by sea little bit more, those are usually small army but still needs dealing with.

A good start is paramount on vh/vh, so know where rebels town are, and take them asap. Also agree with most of zhang's advice, try first a faction on the edge of the map and away from the mongols (england is the obvious choice)

#4zhang_danPosted 4/21/2009 2:01:37 PM
"I didn't notice any difference on the battle from medium to very hard,"

Theres no real change in tactics,but the morale bonus the AI army gets is a real problem,it may be i notice it more as i use full cav stacks 99% of the time.
The morale difference causes me real problems as my army has alot less and the AI has alot more and where on med and hard i can get bogged down and still turn the battle my way on VH as soon as my units dont like it or feel they are exposed they head for the hills.
What would normally be an easy win soon turns into a total disater,it only takes a few units to break ranks and its over,im probly to reckless with my tactics as i tend to hit them hard and fast.

But as always everyone plays the game differently so feelings on difficulty may varey but for me morale is the killer on VH and if someone is new to the game and is used to med diff and they slap it on hard or VH their world can get turned upside down very quickly.

---
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." Bertrand Russell
#5RatlegionPosted 4/21/2009 3:24:10 PM
There are no morale bonuses. If you think there are, then you didn't see what CA did with Rome Total War., because it was quite obvious.
---
TEAM NINJA IS NOT LIABLE FOR BROKEN CONTROLLERS!?
#6zyxosPosted 4/21/2009 4:28:35 PM

it may be i notice it more as i use full cav stacks 99% of the time.

on vh AI uses better infantry, and climb the tech tree faster (always seem to get DFK before you do and taking over their castle you realise how advance they are). That could be a reason you feel a change with your tactics, only using one kind of unit.

For me it looks the same on the battlefield but with bigger army (I use missile, inf and cav), Biggest difference on the campaign map, can't expand to much early so less income, and needs more troop to defend so more expenses. Money is too tight to mention.

#7zhang_danPosted 4/21/2009 11:42:57 PM
Well once again firstly ill point out i dont play total war much these days if at all.

And id like to ask a question about what you think the difference is between med and VH "ON THE BATTLEFIELD" its fairly obvious what goes on with the map.

And yes i played shogun ,med, rome and now med 2,as i remember it they used the morale bonus in all of those,there is no way of seeing it IIRC only when you lock up and units start running,or they run if its not going there way.

From what you guys are saying there is no Difference between med and VH ON THE BATTLEFIELD as the tactics are the same and unit stats are the same so without the morale modi`s theres is no difference.
---
#8zyxosPosted 4/22/2009 5:06:32 AM

the morale bonus the AI army gets.

Actually I never pay attention to the enemy general's command/chivalry/dread, soi could not notice a difference between VH and med, Can be bother checking for argument's sake on a med campaign,but seems logical AI got better general on VH.So Zhang's point can't be dismissed.

But I'll still argue that AI is perceived with higher morale mainly due to better troops. Lower units with low armor in a smaller army will rout easily whatever the general's greatness.

#9zhang_danPosted 4/22/2009 5:56:31 AM
Well it never shows the morale bonus as a stat or a trait in the opposition generals info,but you notice morale modis if you try a battle on med then swing it on VH,where you could normally throw units in risky situations where they might normally stand, on VH they will just run and you also notice it takes alot longer to break an enemy unit.

Without the morale bonus there would be no difference between easy and VH battles.

But im with you on letting it be as i cant be bothered to reinstall the game again.
---
#10RatlegionPosted 4/22/2009 8:00:41 AM
I have specifically read that CA didn't give the AI any hidden morale bonuses this time around. In Rome the units, even without commanders, were vastly overpowered on VH. We all should know by now that AI isn't CA's strong suit. Even overhauling it in Empire did not result in any better AI, even after these years of experience working with 3D battlefield engines. It's just something they are not good at.
---
TEAM NINJA IS NOT LIABLE FOR BROKEN CONTROLLERS!?