How do you kill the Mongols?

#1pcman2005Posted 9/3/2009 10:07:23 AM

I'm not asking how to fight them. That I know.

Right now, I have them on their heels, and I'm pretty sure I killed them down to the last family member and a scroll showed up basically that they turned into a horde or something like that, basically saying they had no more settlements (I killed their king personally in the battle of Antioch).

Then all of a sudden, 3 new family members for the mongols appear on the eastern part of the map, South of the Caspian sea. I'm pretty sure those Family Members didn't exist before I killed the last(or what I thought was the last) family member.

So basically, were the 3 "new" Family Members (one of which is now king) there the whole time, or did they enter the map because the Mongols are unkillable?

BTW I'm pretty sure these 3 family members are the only ones on the map now.

#2zyxosPosted 9/3/2009 12:20:10 PM

When you take their last city, you get the message that they'll resume their errant way blablabla. Basically they are teletransported to your nearest neighbour and should come back (as they did). They only way to destroy the faction is to kill all generals and family members (same with the timurids).

#3pcman2005(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2009 1:11:47 PM

zyxos posted...

When you take their last city, you get the message that they'll resume their errant way blablabla. Basically they are teletransported to your nearest neighbour and should come back (as they did). They only way to destroy the faction is to kill all generals and family members (same with the timurids).

I killed all the generals and family members. THe last one was in Antioch, and I killed him personally (5 of my generals sandwitched him between themselves and a few units of Byzantine Spearman). THe sucker was dead.

I checked on some other forums, it turns out that the Mongols come in two waves. The second incorporates 3 stacks, thats what I ran into. No worries, I got the mongols destroyed scroll now >:)

/resumes conquest

#4ziegdPosted 9/5/2009 8:59:49 AM

For the record, the Mongols actually come inTHREE waves (usually...at least in every one of my 12 campaigns). Sometimes, the waves come in just a few years apart, but in my Russian campaign, they were seperated by something like 20-30 years. First wave appeared (usually 4-5 stacks), I destroyed them (got the "Faction Destroyed" message), then around 1230, ANOTHER wave showed up (3-4 stacks), and I got the "The Hordes Arrive" message again. I destroyed them (got the "Faction Destroyed" message again), then around 1260, the third wave showed up (again, 3-4 stacks).

I thought I had a glitch where they were gonna be infinite, but after destroying that last wave, they didn't appear again.

But usually, they come in three waves, a few years apart, and in every game where I could count their stacks (total), they always had 13 stacks IN TOTAL arriving before they were done. (Of course, if they take settlements, they can produce more stacks, or they can recruit mercs.) And they DO show a tendency to have new family members just "pop-up" in obscure places, so they can be difficult to eradicate. I once had a campaign where I had killed every Mongol I could find, and still didn't get the "Faction Destroyed" message. After scouring the map, I finally found a little quarter-stack army (with a couple of family members) hiding out in the NE corner of Volga-Bulgar.

#5El_ConquestPosted 9/15/2009 5:08:52 PM

ziegd posted...

For the record, the Mongols actually come inTHREE waves (usually...at least in every one of my 12 campaigns). Sometimes, the waves come in just a few years apart, but in my Russian campaign, they were seperated by something like 20-30 years. First wave appeared (usually 4-5 stacks), I destroyed them (got the "Faction Destroyed" message), then around 1230, ANOTHER wave showed up (3-4 stacks), and I got the "The Hordes Arrive" message again. I destroyed them (got the "Faction Destroyed" message again), then around 1260, the third wave showed up (again, 3-4 stacks).

actually is 4. the first scouts will arrive about a year after the initial video of the mongol invasion around 1190's, first main attack wave comes 10 turns later in a ground of 5 with top notch command and dread. 3rd wave is 4 with slightly less command strength 20 - 25 turns after the first main wave, Fourth and final wave comes 30 turns after the previous a group of 3 or 4 with the least ammount of command experience about 6 stars. only when the last wave is finished are the hordes finally vanquished for good. That is until the Timurid invasion which uses a mix of mongol and turkish units as well as Elephants.

#6ziegdPosted 9/16/2009 7:31:52 AM

"actually is 4. the first scouts will arrive about a year after the initial video of the mongol invasion around 1190's, first main attack wave comes 10 turns later in a ground of 5 with top notch command and dread. 3rd wave is 4 with slightly less command strength 20 - 25 turns after the first main wave, Fourth and final wave comes 30 turns after the previous a group of 3 or 4 with the least ammount of command experience about 6 stars. only when the last wave is finished are the hordes finally vanquished for good. That is until the Timurid invasion which uses a mix of mongol and turkish units as well as Elephants."

Well, rather than getting into a debate about it, I'll just say this...in my 12 campaigns...

1) I have NEVER seen any "scouts" show up at the time of the initial warning about "A new threat from the east", although I've never actually looked for any, so maybe they're roaming around somewhere I don't have access to.But in 2 campaigns as Turks, I had full access to all areas they usually come from, and I never saw a Mongol, UNTILL...

2) First wave arrives in the year 1230...EVERY TIME...like clockwork. It has contained as few as 3 stacks, or as many as 5 (more often 5).

3) Second wave shows up anywhere from 5-25 turns later...doesn't seem to be any definite number of turns affecting this, although they usually come sooner than 25 (25 was the max, and occured in just one campaign I played). Again, this wave usually contains 3-4 stacks.

4) Third and final wave shows up 5-30 turns later (again, more often sooner than later, since it was only 30 in that one campaign). And again, it's usually made up of 3-4 stacks.

5) The TOTAL number of stacks that arrive (in every case where I was able to accurately keep track of them...about half my campaigns), was 13...EACH TIME. (Again, in half my campaigns, I wasn't able to track them for the whole time, so I can't swear that's true.)

Not sure where you're getting your information, but I've never experienced such "definite" numbers as you're expounding, other than the facts that they ALWAYS arrive in 1230, and there SEEMS to be a total of 13 stacks. But I've never noticed any correlation between their General's status, and which stack they arrive in...I'm pretty sure I'veseen 10 star/dread generals in the last wave, but I won't swear to it, since I haven't neccessarily paid that close attention to it. But the timing of the arrivals of each wave and the number of stacks in varies considerably from campaign to campaign. I don't know where you're getting your "absolute" numbers of like, 4 stacks 30 turns later, but I CAN say that that has definitely NOT been my personal experience.

But then, I've only played twelve campaigns, so what do I know...

#7ziegdPosted 9/16/2009 7:46:42 AM

Oops...apologies...the date they always arrive is 1212, NOT 1230 as I stated. My bad. But it IS always 1212...just checked thru my save files and it's the same for all campaigns I still have saved.

#8GeneralCortezPosted 9/16/2009 11:51:50 PM
By Scouts, he probably meant the first wave

Anyway, just keep killing them until their dead

They are like zombies. Deadly deadly horse mounted zombies
---
"Er kann mich am Arsche lecken!"-Gotz von Berlichingen
[Papal Crusaders]