M2TW Keeps crashing on windows 7 - Advice please

#1ItinerantChildPosted 9/3/2010 9:06:29 PM

Hi all,

I've recently ungraded my laptop to windows 7 from Vista but now when I play M2TW it keeps crashing. Is anyone else suffering frm this? Can anyone offer some advice as it would be much appreciated.

The crashes happen either when a battle is about to start and the camera does that pan to the general before he starts talking or when clicking the arrow to cycle through your cities on the building recruitment screen. When it happen the whole machine freezes and nothing works - even ctrl alt del or the caps/num lock keys and lights - there is always a slightly distorted, repeating sound.

I have the latest versions of Directx downloaded and am running from patch 1.3. It's not modded at all the only changes I've made are to the events (to bring gunpowder forward a bit) and to the turn/date thingy but these were all the same as when I played in Vista and it never happened then.

The crashes seem to be random as sometimes I don't get one for hours and other times I get one every other turn.

As I say, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

IC

#2sfcalimariPosted 9/3/2010 9:46:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3sfcalimariPosted 9/3/2010 9:47:15 PM
I have been playing it on Windows 7 since I got the game and haven't had any trouble other than crackly and slightly un-synced sound in videos like when you start the game or see a wedding video.

In general though:

a) I don't know what type of install you did but you should do a clean install of Windows 7, not an upgrade install. When I got W7 I did an upgrade install to see how it was and it made my computer run worse and made my games run horribly and sometimes not at all. Then I did a clean install and everything worked better and the computer booted up faster than under Vista. Make sure you backup everything you want to save though.

b) after the install, make sure you have the latest video drivers installed.

If you did do a clean install and you have good video drivers then I don't know. Maybe run the game as an administrator and make sure it's patched I guess.

---
hands fit together like medicine butterfly itch on a bottle rocket tail everything is bleeding shake the glass out of your hair spell your name in broken teeth
#4codysan87Posted 9/3/2010 9:52:08 PM
http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=17,8396,120,all

Gist of it: Run the compatibility wizard in the control panel

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100107183908AATze51

Gist of it: M2 is a DX9C game which W7 doesn't support.

You can run a search on google for "Medieval 2 Total War" "Windows 7" crash

see if anything else catches your fancy. If anything works or you figure it out post again.
---
The Chosen Alliance has conquered this board. All resistance shall be put down without delay, thanks for your cooperation. HQ Medieval 2 Total war Gold board.
#5ItinerantChild(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2010 11:19:11 PM
Cheers for the help, as it goes so far...

Compatability wizard achieved nothing I'm afraid.

I'm currently downloading the directx 9c and will let you know what happens then.

In the meantime, I have done extensive Google searches but not really found anything helpful and I'm often the compatability issues are concerned with various mods and I get a bit baffled and don't want to make the situation any worse.

When I find the solution that fixes it I'll post links etc here
#6sfcalimariPosted 9/4/2010 12:07:03 AM
Well I've been running it on W7 without any issues. It runs kind of crappy though especially in battles in large castles or in forests.

---
hands fit together like medicine butterfly itch on a bottle rocket tail everything is bleeding shake the glass out of your hair spell your name in broken teeth
#7ItinerantChild(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2010 12:14:05 AM
The directx 9c seems to have done the trick...touch wood

Thing is that it has left me with about a million rar files with various dates as their names. Does anyone know if I need these or is t safe to delete them all?
#8ItinerantChild(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2010 12:18:13 AM

sfcalimari posted...
Well I've been running it on W7 without any issues. It runs kind of crappy though especially in battles in large castles or in forests.

---

Do you have aanti-aliasing and reflections on? I've always found they cause major lag in battles.

#9codysan87Posted 9/4/2010 2:48:38 AM
IDK I run xp but if they weren't there before the install it should be alright to delete them and the only thing that should, if anything, screw up would be the DX install. Good you got it running.
---
The Chosen Alliance has conquered this board. All resistance shall be put down without delay, thanks for your cooperation. HQ Medieval 2 Total war Gold board.
#10codysan87Posted 9/4/2010 2:51:55 AM
I think one of those links said if you upgrade to W7 it can make things run worse so you need to do a clean install of it, if you don't know how to do that I recommend just dealing with it.
---
More topics from this board...
This game is a joke.Nega Elemental17/24 2:41PM