Man long campaigns are pretty easy.

#1Master CilanderPosted 2/12/2012 5:03:41 PM(edited)
Maybe I need to up the difficulty (was on Normal), but it was my first campaign in this game and I was playing England. I steam rolled from the beginning, and just let the Pope excommunicate me. I finished the long campaign a few turns after the Mongols invaded.

It feels like I missed a lot of content. Never even made it to the Americas!

Edit: I've been playing Shogun 2 recently as well, and as much as I love Rome and Medieval 2, i really think Shogun 2 has the most compelling campaign. Rome and Medieval 2 have great style and I love playing them, but I love how Shogun 2 prevents you from stomping on the other factions. They really improved the basics of the campaign imo.
---
The brain named itself.
#2PapaRosario23Posted 2/12/2012 7:26:17 PM
England on Normal difficulty is about as easy as you can get. Easiest faction on almost the easiest difficulty. If you're looking for something a bit more challenging, try HRE on VH/VH. That still will not be too bad after a while though. If you want something very challenging, try downloading SS and turning on BGR IV and Gracul AI.
---
Whose property is my body? Probably mine. I so regard it. If I experiment with it, who must be answerable? I, not the State.
#3Master Cilander(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2012 9:05:52 PM
I'll probably try SS.
---
The brain named itself.
#4PapaRosario23Posted 2/13/2012 3:31:53 AM
If you're feeling masochistic, try playing as the Khwarezmians in the late era =P

Not sure if that's even possible to win.
---
Whose property is my body? Probably mine. I so regard it. If I experiment with it, who must be answerable? I, not the State.
#5RIngerPosted 2/28/2012 6:01:33 PM
Also, you can keep playing after you complete the campaign objectives, so you can still go to the Americas, if you want.
#6Master Cilander(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2012 10:11:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7TheRedStormPosted 3/7/2012 7:31:39 PM

England and France are the easiest factions, but they're good to play as for a first time doing campaign.

A challenging faction to play as is the Byzantine Empire. Try playing as the Byzantines on Hard, that's pretty challenging

#8PapaRosario23Posted 3/8/2012 5:19:01 AM(edited)
Well, the scripting in vanilla M2 is pretty limited, simple, and treats the AI as if it's as smart as a human, which is the main reason why it eventually gets to be easy on any difficulty. If you're looking for a challenge in the early game as well as the late game, you either need to mod the scripts yourself, or just download a mod like SS that does it for you. The latter is by far the easier and better option.
---
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
#9lindallisonPosted 3/10/2012 1:52:51 PM

You should probably try a campaign on VH/VH and at least play it until you're steamrolling before trying SS.  Also try to play a campaign while keeping on good terms with a few factions and the pope if you're Catholic - getting used to a more nuanced way of thinking'll help out with SS where dimplomacy can be very useful. 

#10Master Cilander(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2012 11:58:01 PM
lindallison posted...
You should probably try a campaign on VH/VH and at least play it until you're steamrolling before trying SS. Also try to play a campaign while keeping on good terms with a few factions and the pope if you're Catholic - getting used to a more nuanced way of thinking'll help out with SS where dimplomacy can be very useful.

I was just about to start my first SS campaign.

Is it really comparable to vanilla VH/VH in difficulty?
---
Neutral but not impartial.