siege AI?

#1Ferago2Posted 3/26/2012 12:02:48 PM
Does anyone know of a mod that improves AI during sieges? I'm playing Stainless Steel, and I thought it had something like this but the AI still seems painfully dumb during siege mode. For instance I'll send out 5 horses to attack 100 guys with a siege tower, and after the horses die they never attempt to use the tower again. Or my own men will get ladders/towers to the wall and then just stand there not climbing them and getting turned into pin cushions.

Pretty much any siege map I play ends in a massive brawl inside the front gate or a stalemate on the walls because half the units won't do anything. Although I haven't played long enough to see a lot of catapults/trebuchets, maybe they'd make things more interesting.
#2PapaRosario23Posted 3/26/2012 3:21:16 PM
Stainless Steel uses Germanicus's battle AI, which is also used by Third Age and Broken Crescent and, as far as I know, is the best battle AI available.

If you see your men getting a siege engine to the wall and not using it, just click on them and right click on the siege engine. They should start using it.

And any siege will pretty much always end up in either a massive brawl by the wall or a massive brawl in the town square. This is most likely because these are the best places for the AI to hold out. The wall provides a very good choke point for the AI to defend. The town square makes the AI immune to routing.
---
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
#3desert_fox201Posted 4/6/2012 4:25:41 AM
Once you start to get cannons, you can just knock a bunch of big holes in their walls so that the AI can't possibly cover every access point.
---
"Welcome to 313, where people moan about their dads, have phimosis and shower before curry." - Lagunathemoron
#4Ferago2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2012 1:58:14 PM
Sounds good. I just feel like I'm cheating some times because I can defeat a gigantic army that should be able to crush me.