Speed of Ships in Total War

#1Fat_Pete_61Posted 4/17/2012 7:18:39 AM
I started playing Medieval I several years back.

Since then, I've played, and completed, in order Empire, Rome, and I'm currently enjoying Medieval II.

I know that many players have other issues with these games, but for me, the thing that really gets my goat is the speed of the ships.

Empire, is bad enough, where it takes 3 turns, i.e. 18 months to sail across the Atlantic, or along the Mediterranean. This equates to about 5 miles per day.

By comparison, Nelson sailed from the Straits of Gibraltar, to the West Indies, and back to European waters in about six weeks, equivalent to 110 miles per day.

In Rome, a ship travels roughly 150-200 miles per six month turn, i.e roughly 1 mile per day.

This compares to Pytheas voyage of discovery c.320 BC, where he averaged 560 stadia, that is 60 miles per day.

Medieval II is the worst of the lot though. Six turns to sail from Britain to Spain - thats 12 years! Or, about one-third of a mile per day.

In 1588, the Spanish Armada took about 8 weeks for this journey.

I've noticed is that a ship travels the same distance during one six month turn in Rome as it does in one two year turn in Medieval II, which is most definitely incorrect. (I know, same game engine, different turn lengths set).

I was mildly frustrated by the slowness of the ships in Empire. In Medieval II though, the problems are worse by at least a factor of 10. Ships are ~20 times too slow in ETW, but over 200 times too slow in M2TW.

I'm otherwise thoroughly enjoying Medieval II, but is there any way to adjust the speed of the ships to something more realistic ?

Many Thanks FP61
#2PapaRosario23Posted 4/17/2012 12:11:32 PM(edited)
Yes, it's extremely easy to adjust the Action Points value assuming that you either have unpacked your data files or you are playing a mod where the data files are unpacked for you.

Edit: I should probably also mention that a major reason for the slow speed of ships and armies is for balance reasons. For example, it takes away most of the strategic value of a strong navy if you aren't able to block naval invasions because they can land in a single turn.
---
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
#3desert_fox201Posted 4/19/2012 12:18:50 PM
Is there any way to edit the turn length, so that only say half a year passes? It would make the distances travelled more realistic, without having people cross half a continent each turn. Only problem is... this game covers a long time. I can't imagine having to press the end turn button 400 times just to unlock gunpowder.
---
"Welcome to 313, where people moan about their dads, have phimosis and shower before curry." - Lagunathemoron
#4PapaRosario23Posted 4/19/2012 12:50:59 PM
Yes, you can edit the timescale in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt

But like you said, the game covers a very large period of time, and I guess the devs realized it's hard to balance covering that whole time period with realistic movement speeds. The OP mentioned that the ships are 200 times too slow. Assuming that is correct, if they were to slow down time to match that speed, it would end up being 45000 turns in a campaign. And of course, if they tried to instead speed up movement to match the 2 years per turn, they would run into the problem that I mentioned in the second post.

There's no good way to deal with this problem.
---
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
#5desert_fox201Posted 4/21/2012 12:43:43 PM
I suppose you could just go for some way inbetween. It would still be too slow, but it wouldn't take a bajillion years to cross the atlantic, and it wouldn't be soul destroying to complete the timeframe.
---
"Welcome to 313, where people moan about their dads, have phimosis and shower before curry." - Lagunathemoron
#6PapaRosario23Posted 4/21/2012 5:50:20 PM
Yup, you could certainly do that. Changing the timescale is very simple and anyone can do it. Changing the movement allowance per turn is also very simple, but requires you to unpack your data files.
---
#7desert_fox201Posted 4/26/2012 12:00:41 AM
It's even worse for Shogun 2. It takes a crapload of turns to sail round Japan, yet I reckon you should be able to do it in a year absolute max.
---
More topics from this board...
This game is a joke.Nega Elemental17/24 2:41PM