All "how well will it run?" or questions regarding specs/upgrading answered HERE

#1albedoisadorkisPosted 12/16/2007 2:56:52 AMmessage detail
If you have any questions regarding how well your rig will run Crysis, or what parts to buy for optimal quality/performance, post them here. A little ripoff of Morgoth22's Oblivion thread located here:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=924363&topic=27071162

This should hopefully clear up most of these topics on this board. In addition, Please do not post until I have finished.

BEFORE ASKING WHETHER YOUR SYSTEM WILL RUN CRYSIS OR NOT, PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Operating System
- CPU
- GPU
- RAM

Anyways, without further ado...

---
Table of Contents

1. Requirements
- Third-party programs
2. What does this word mean?
- CPU
- Clock Speed
- GPU
- RAM
- DirectX
- Driver
- PCI, PCI-E, AGP
- Motherboard
- Overclocking
- Artifacting
- BIOS
- Bottleneck
- FPS
- Resolution
- AA
- AF
- SLI
3. Optimal hardware
- CPU
- AMD or Intel?
- GPU
- NVIDIA or ATi?
- Should I invest in a physics card?
- RAM

---
1. Requirements

Minimum Requirements:
OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster (Vista)
Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
Video Card -256 MB
Hard Drive - 12GB
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended:
CPU: Core 2 Duo/Athlon X2 or better
RAM: 1.5GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 7800 Series, ATI Radeon 1800 Series or better
VRAM: 512MB of Graphics Memory
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
ODD: DVD-ROM
DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

Now, it is important to note the difference between being able to run and play a game. You can run the game with minimum requirements, but there will be a substantial sacrifice in either or both performance and quality. With recommended specs, there will not be as much of a sacrifice, but some will still exist depending on the quality of your hardware.

To check your system specs, press Start -> Run -> type in dxdiag -> click OK. Your system will then run a diagnostic of itself and give you all the pertinent info you need.

Third-party programs
There are several third-party programs out there for use, which provide more in-depth information than dxdiag.

RivaTuner
http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Very handy tool for overclocking and adjusting fan speeds. This also shows you the temperature of your graphics card (anything above 100c should be considered dangerous).

Everest Ultimate Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?ps=UE&lang=en

This program gives you extensive diagnostics of your computer, to put things simply.
#2albedoisadorkis(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2007 2:57:39 AMmessage detail
---
2. What does this word mean?

There's a fair amount of technical jargon and who-knows-what, so hopefully this clarifies things a bit, without going too in-depth.

CPU- Central processing unit, more commonly referred to as a processor. Your computer processor runs and executes programs. Processors with faster clock speeds, and/or multiple cores, can do these jobs faster.

Clock speed- The rate at which your hardware performs certain tasks, and is measured in hertz.

GPU- Graphics processing unit, or a graphics card. There are two types of graphics cards (well, there are more, but you only need to worry about the ones I'm about to mention); a dedicated graphics card, and an integrated graphics card. A dedicated graphics card will have its own RAM dedicated for use by the card (aka VRAM). An integrated graphics card uses your system's RAM. As such, a dedicated graphics card is much more favorable for gaming.

RAM- Random Access Memory, or just memory. RAM allows your computer to access stored data in any order. There are many types of RAM, DDR2 SDRAM and DDR3 SDRAM to name a couple. It is highly recommended that you use DDR2 SDRAM, as it is a huge improvement over its predecessor, and doesn't cost very much any more. DDR3 SDRAM costs a substantial amount of money, and isn't a considerable upgrade from DDR2 at this point in time.

DirectX- Often shortened to simply "DX." DirectX handles multimedia tasks, and is usually required for almost all games. DX10 is the most current version, but is only available on Windows Vista. DX9.0c is the most current version for Windows XP.

Driver- Or, device driver. Drivers allow your OS to interact with your hardware. Try to keep these up to date, especially for your graphics card, or you may experience complications. These can usually be downloaded from your manufacturer's website.

PCI, PCI-E, AGP- These are ports (or computer buses) which connect hardware to your motherboard. Graphics cards or sound cards are most commonly used with these ports. Most current graphics cards run on PCI-E, and some older cards run on PCI or AGP. Current motherboards come with both PCI-E and PCI slots. If your computer is a few years old, its motherboard may not be able to support newer graphics cards.

Motherboard- Often shortened to "mobo." This is the central board in your computer, and all hardware and peripherals connect to this. You may need to get a new motherboard if your current one is fairly outdated.

Overclocking- Commonly shortened to simply OC. As the name implies, this refers to increasing the clock rate of your hardware. Doing this can be playing with the devil if you aren't careful, as you may damage your components and/or void your warranty. Overclocking your hardware can shorten its lifespan, regardless of the success/failure of an OCing attempt. It will also require additional cooling, or artifacting and/or overheating may occur.
#3albedoisadorkis(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2007 2:59:15 AMmessage detail
Artifacting- A defect in an image, produced most often by a faulty graphics card. This can either be due to overheating or increasing the card's clock rate too high. Or it could be a screwup on the manufacturer's part.

BIOS- Basic input/output (I/O) system. This is a program your motherboard uses to recognize hardware. You usually don't meddle with this unless you are overclocking, or correcting a hardware issue.

Bottleneck- Refers to when a single component of your computer is limiting its full performance.

FPS- Frames per Second, or framerate. This is the rate at which your GPU produces consecutive images in games. The higher your FPS is, the smoother the game will be.

Resolution- Sometimes shortened to "res." This dictates how many pixels per dimension your monitor will show. Many people set their monitor resolutions somewhere between 1280x1024 and 1920x1200.

AA- Antialiasing. Reduces "jaggies", or "stair-steps" which can be seen along the edges of objects. Using this usually reduces performance sharply, but provides a better image. On higher resolutions, little or no AA is needed, because of the higher pixel count.

AF- Anisotropic filtering. Sharpens textures depending on how high it is.

SLI- Scalable Link Interface. Connects two graphics cards of the same model together to produce the same image. Crysis currently does not have SLI support.

---
3. Optimal Hardware

You can play Crysis well without having to spend a fortune, thankfully. It all depends on what you spend it on, 'course.

CPU
To get the best performance possible out of this game, it is imperative that you get a dual-core processor. Quad-core processors are optional, but there is no quad-core support for this game yet. Quad-cores also cost a bit more than dual-cores as well, so unless you have some extra money to spend, I wouldn't get 'em yet.

AMD or Intel?
A lot of AMD's processors are sub-par to those of Intel's, but the AMD 64 x2 6000+ does decently, and doesn't cost much. Intel has more speed-per-clock than AMD, and also costs more. Don't even bother with their Pentium D processors; Core2Duo processors are much better. I would recommend getting a C2D with a minimum of 2.6GHz. The E6750 would be the most you need for Crysis to run optimally at high settings.

You can compare processors here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

GPU
Like the recommended specs say, go for something with at least 512MB VRAM. You can probably get some settings on high with a card that doesn't have 512MB VRAM, but not all of them (shadows, AA, etc. will have to either be turned off or be set to low). You also can't play on a high resolution without a performance deficit.

NVIDIA or ATi?
NVIDIA's cards are favored over ATi, namely their 8800 series. The 8800GT currently provides the best price per performance ratio. Cards beyond the 8800GT are very pricey for the performance they provide. If you're short on money and absolutely dying to play Crysis, the 7900GS or 8600GT does decently. It will play at roughly medium settings, with a few settings here and there set to high. AA will kill you, though. ATi's HD 3870 has about the same amount of performance as the 8800GT.

Should I invest in a physics card?
No, no, no, no, and NO! Most games don't even support this thing, Crysis included. It's just a waste of money in the end.

You can compare graphics cards here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

RAM
2GB of DDR2 SDRAM is all you need to make Crysis work, and work well on XP. You'll need a gig more for Vista, considering the fact that it uses more memory.

I think that about does it.
#4someguyshandPosted 12/16/2007 3:45:29 AMmessage detail
Excellent guide here, I hope that most people are courteous to read it as you have put much time into this I guess.

This needs to be stickied
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
#5Bigsteve2469Posted 12/16/2007 5:13:59 AMmessage detail
Nice guide, lots of effort put into it, hopefully people read it.
#6rb2610Posted 12/16/2007 5:34:29 AMmessage detail

I have an upgrade related question, so i thought i might as well post it here:

My current specs are in my sig.
I currently play the game 1280x1024 at a mix of low/med on SP and all low on MP and i get mostly acceptable framerates.
As Christmas is approaching i thought i could consider getting an upgrade, i know a lot of people are going to say, upgrade the GFX card but i have reasons not to do that yet, i dont want to be spending more than 100 (about $200) and it seems that it would only be worth it if i got an 8800, so im going to wait till the 9 series is released and hope the 8800s price will drop a bit.

So now the only upgrades that would do anything gamewise are CPU and RAM:
-My CPU is actually under the minimum requirements, yet the game still runs quite well,so i couldupgrade to a C2D E4500 @ 2.2GHz for around 75 ($150) or a E4600 @ 2.4GHz for about 85-90 ($170-180).
-Or i could add another Gig ofthe same sort ofRAM forroughly 45 ($90)

So which should i get?I need a reply soon please.

PS. I considering doing modding at some point, probably not for some time though.

#7Zes735Posted 12/16/2007 5:55:59 AMmessage detail
Time for a new sticky.
---
"...quite frankly, however, i don't really care to hear/read about it, nor do i think anyone else does." - tribaL216
#8poiuytreewqqPosted 12/16/2007 8:00:33 AMmessage detail
YES!!! STICKY!! much better then orginal sticky
---
Hello World, Whats up, by the time youre done reading this message I will have taken 5.789302 seconds of your life."Muhahahaha"
#9jeezissPosted 12/16/2007 8:28:40 AMmessage detail
I thought this would be some lame attempt at a sticky, but *dignified applause* good show. Definitely needs to be stickied in place of the outdated current.

---
Q6600| 2GB Kingston HMAX 800mhz| Nvidia 8800GT @ 675/900| Foxconn MARS| Vista 32|...
#10Metallica_34Posted 12/16/2007 8:59:56 AMmessage detail
AMD Althon X2 5000 2.6GHz
2gigs dual channel RAM
BFG 512mb 8800gt oc
windows vista