Is there any way to skip the game updates on steam?

#1Cyborg14Posted 2/14/2009 9:42:32 PM
Is there a way to just play the damn game!??
---
"I have come upon a major discovery. There is some sort of spiritual connection between heroism and hairspray." ~ Sephiroth
#2pWnz0r_omgwtfPosted 2/14/2009 10:09:11 PM
the updates are to patch the game's errors.

you dont wanna play a buggy game right?
#3BoilerplatePosted 2/14/2009 11:42:27 PM
I haven't had any patches yet on steam for the game and I've been playing it since launch day.

You CAN shut off auto updates if you want though. Just right click over the game title's name in Steam, select "properties" click on the "Updates" tab and then select the "Do not automatically update this game" option.

Though I would question why you were doing this, unless you have a 56k connection and a 5mb patch takes you half an hour.
#4TheDeliskPosted 2/15/2009 12:00:14 PM

Boilerplate posted...
I haven't had any patches yet on steam for the game and I've been playing it since launch day.

There was a patch the very first day, not a big one so maybey you din't even notice. Curent patch version is 1.1 (DVD is 1.0).

#5Kalika001Posted 2/15/2009 12:17:21 PM
Can I download this patch without going through steam?
#6JamieK1981Posted 2/15/2009 12:20:23 PM
what is wrong with steam?

most of the sites that host patches tend to get me only like 100-300kb/s, while steam gives me like 500-700kb/s.

You are either pirating the game and using a crack and want to patch the game or you are closed minded about steam, thinking its crap...

which is it?
#7Jaybone_05Posted 2/15/2009 2:02:32 PM
Not everyone enjoys forced updates when all they want to do is just play a video game.
And when steam automatically updates the game instead of launching it, it gets pretty annoying having to wait 5 minutes or more.

Personally I dislike steam. There have been instances where I go on vacation with my laptop and when I want to play a video game offline I get error messages regarding updates and blocking me from playing the game I purchased.
#8kakashi AnBuPosted 2/15/2009 2:09:31 PM
Steam doesnt block you from playing games even without internet. I could still play Bioshock, Half Life 2, and other registered games just fine without the internet.
#9BenKSPosted 2/15/2009 2:10:23 PM
Well, I don't exactly like how unreliable the Steam servers tend to be, but I guess you get what you pay for. Since it's free, I think it's pretty decent, up to par or better than Xbox Live and PSN. I just hate how difficult it is to find normal servers in games like TF2 or CSS. It's either all one map (de_dust for CSS, avalanche for DoD, 2fort for TF2, No Mercy Versus for L4D) or it's some stupid modded server with ridiculous changes that no one would really want to play with.

But I do see why people would want to stop updates, for instance with STALKER, certain newer updates actually break a lot of good mods that fixed even more bugs than any of the patches did. I know that's not the case with FEAR 2, but whatever.
---
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7293/tetsuohx7.jpg
#10Kalika001Posted 2/15/2009 6:07:55 PM
At JamieK1981:

Why the hell would I want that speed of download when my max speed is 60kb/s. Not everyone is rich like YOU and can get such high speeds.
And most games have manual patching anyways.