Persona 3 Board FAQ (Look here before asking questions!)

#1drachemeisterPosted 11/2/2007 12:54:48 PMmessage detail
Welcome to the Persona 3 Board FAQ!

All spoilers will be marked, so on to the rest.

Contents:

1.) What is FES? Will it come to America?
2.) Do I need to play other Persona games to understand this one?
3.) How many floors are there in Tartarus?
4.) I get tired after a short time. What gives?
5.) What’s this about Death (the Reaper) being upon me?
6.) What is Monad?
7.) How many months are there?
8.) What's the difference between easy and normal?
9.) I can’t defeat [insert boss here]!
10.) What are the new game+ bonuses
11.) I FUSED ORPHEUS!!! CAN I GET HIM BACK?
12.) What's the Compendium?
13.) How do I fuse [insert persona name here]?
14.) I'm fusing my persona, but I can't get it to inherit the skills I want it to!
15.) What does the heart by my Persona mean?
16.) Is Messiah a good Persona?
17.) What are Fusion Spells?
18.) Social Links – What are they for?
19.) So, I heard you can date girls in this game…Is that true? How?
20.) I’m following the Round One Max Social Links FAQ, but I missed something. Is that alright?
21.) What's up with Charm, Courage, and Academics?
22.) Who is Maya?
23.) Where is the Tower S. Link?
24.) Where is the Devil Social Link?
25.) How do I get the Sun Link?
26.) How do I level the Fool and Death Links faster? Also, how do I get Judgement?
27.) What's the fizzy drink that the little girl at the shrine wants?
28.) I am trying to gather request items for Elizabeth but they are never dropped by enemies.
29.) Help me with Elizabeth’s Request # [whatever]!
30.) What are the Exam answers?
31.) The end - What happened?

1.) What is FES? Will it come to America?

FES is the same as Persona 3, but with more stuff added. You get some extra events, 23 more Personae, costume changes with certain armor, Episode Aegis (which extends the end by letting you play as Aegis), and a few other features. It supposedly adds 20 more hours to Persona 3.

As for it coming to America, I can't say I know. It was listed on a couple of voice actor's sites, but it was removed by Atlus after word got out.

2.) Do I need to play other Persona games to understand this one?

Nope.

3.) How many floors are there in Tartarus?

263, although you cannot access the final floors until the final day.

4.) I get tired after a short time. What gives? - By Look over there

Generally speaking, the higher level you are, the more fights you can win before becoming tired; running from battle doesn't count as a fight.

Also, generally, it appears that the night before a full moon is a night in which you can't get tired (in fact, you enter the day Good, and it'll never drop to Tired); this holds until early November. The actual reason for lack of Tiring is the presence of boss fights; you can't get tired on the night before a boss fight because otherwise you could be screwed. So until early November, you can't get tired on the night before full moon, afterwards, your last two no-tired nights are November 21 and January 31.
#2drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2007 12:55:08 PMmessage detail
5.) What’s this about Death (the Reaper) being upon me? - By Look over there

If you're wondering who he is when he appears, don't fight him. He shows up if you spend too much time on any one floor in Tartarus. If you draw a 'cursed' card from Shuffle Time (i.e. a card that has a transparent black skull on it), then the time you have before he shows up is reduced. This time limit you have varies according to size of the floor, according to opfer. Reported times have ranged from 10 minutes to merely 3 and a half minutes. Also, it is agreed that floors which have no enemies or more-than-normal amount of enemies already have a reduced time limit for the Reaper to show.

Oh, and he is a fairly tough bugger to fight, compared to most enemies. He's capable of using Ma-Dynes of each element, Pierce attacks, insta-kills of both types (Light and Dark), and Almighty (Megidola, Megidolaon, Life Drain). Oh, and he knows the Breaks for each element too. Level 99, 4444 HP for you to beat through, and I heard that he resists everything while immune to Light/Dark. Consensus is to not try until you're at least in your 70's. People usually opt to wait till having Lucifer & Satan and simply Armageddon him out of the way.

6.) What is Monad?

Monad is an optional dungeon of ten floors that appears in Tartarus (you’ll see the big door to the right as you enter) that appears in January. It’s rather difficult to get though – you’ll need to find the weaknesses of the enemies as you go along, or else you’re pretty much screwed. It’s worth fighting these enemies because they give you so much experience that it doesn’t take too long to get to level 99. There’s also some rare equipment in there, and a 1,000,000 yen chest at the top.

7.) How many months are there?

You start on April 7th, and end on January 31st. So about 10.

8.) What's the difference between easy and normal?

On easy, you get 10 items that, when you die, will revive you and your entire party, and completely restore their HP and SP. Normal, you just get a game over when that happens.

9.) I can’t defeat [insert boss here]!

If you know its weakness, use it to knock it down. What does it usually attack with? If it always uses Bufu skills, you should get a persona that is resistant, immune, absorbs, or even reflects (if the enemy doesn’t absorb, that is) ice. Some won’t have a weakness, so either get better Personae, or level up. Look in a FAQ for more advice.

10.) What are the new game+ bonuses?

An easy second playthrough, really. Your compendium comes back, for one thing, although you have to either buy the personae or refuse them. The Main Character gets his level back, all of his equipment, and even unequipped equipment. Other characters, however, come back with crap equipment and a low level. You'll also have your yen and access to Monad. Also, although your Social Links don't come back, you can still fuse the ultimate personae for them (assuming you maxed them out in the previous playthrough, that is). Additionally, Elizabeth's 55th request will be unlocked, allowing you to fight an optional boss.

11.) I FUSED ORPHEUS!!! CAN I GET HIM BACK? - Q. submitted by Melchior111

Yes. By fusion or by buying him back from the Compendium.

12.) What's the Compendium?

It allows you to buy back your old, discarded or fused Personae. It becomes available on May 10th. You can also Register your Personae there, which takes the default data (such as the base level, and the stats and moves that it knew at that point) or the data you previously had, if any, and overwrites it with the new, current info from the persona. When you change the persona's data, however, the price to buy it goes up, depending on how different it is.

Additionally, it keeps track of how many Personae you have collected.
#3drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2007 12:56:05 PMmessage detail
13.) How do I fuse [insert persona name here]?

Really, look it up. Many personae are just too complicated to explain.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/932312/44370

Keep in mind, however, that you may not be at a high enough level to fuse the persona you want.

14.) I'm fusing my persona, but I can't get it to inherit the skills I want it to!

Just cancel everything and try again. They'll come (eventually). It should be noted that Personae prefer some skills over others, and therefore, some skills are impossible to get on a specific persona.

Check section [006f0] of the Game Mechanics/Persona Database for details.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/932312/49926

15.) What does the heart by my Persona mean?

It means that you get an item from it once it learns all of its moves.

16.) Is Messiah a good Persona?

No, not in battle. The good thing about him is that you get some heart items from him.

17.) What are Fusion Spells?

They're spells that requite two specific Personae and one of them equipped. The Satan and Lucifer combo (Armageddon) is regarded as the best of them.

For more info, go to section [005bq] of the Game Mechanics / Persona Database.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/932312/49926

18.) Social Links – What are they for?

Well, each person represents an Arcana. When you level the Social Link up, the bonus you get for creating a Persona of that Arcana goes up. The aforementioned bonus is experience. At the max Social Link level, 10, you can generally get up to five levels for your Persona right after creating it. Also, the Social Links allow you (once you max it) to create an ultimate Persona for the Arcana (although there are, in some cases, better Personae out there).

19.) So, I heard you can date girls in this game…Is that true? How?

Well, it’s just like a normal Social Link, except that you shouldn’t go out with more than one lady after you get “serious” with one. It’ll make her jealous, and you’ll have to make her happy again…

Each girl also has a list of gifts they like, so you may want to look them up in a FAQ and buy them occasionally.

Also, Maya and Maiko don’t count in this group.

20.) I'm following the Round One Max Social Links FAQ, but I missed something. Is that alright?

Hell no. There is absolutely no room for error.

21.) What's up with Charm, Courage, and Academics?

They are "stats" that determine a few things such as who you can date, and who you can talk to, and a couple other things.

Academics allow you to complete the Sushi quest for Elizabeth, access the Social Links Temperance (at LV2), Sun (at LV4) and Empress (at LV6), and they determine how well you do during the exams.

Charm will allow completion of Elizabeth's drink request, and access to the Moon (at LV2), Devil (at LV4), and Lovers (at LV6) Social Links.

Courage allows completion of Elizabeth's Mahjong piece quest, and access to the Tower (at LV2), Star (at LV4) and High Priestess (at LV6) Social Links.

22.) Who is Maya?

[SPOILERS for the Hermit Social Link]

She's your teacher, Ms. Toriumi.

[End Spoilers]

23.) Where is the Tower S. Link? - By scathatch72

First, your Courage must be at Level 2. Spend a few days with Yuko (Strength), and raise her S. Link to Level 4. Next time you talk to her, she will mention a monk who's been causing trouble at the Club Escapade (in Paulownia Mall).

In the Evening hours, go to the club, head upstairs, and talk to the monk to start the sequence. At the end, the monk becomes the Tower Social Link. This is the ONLY S. Link available during the evening.
#4drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2007 12:56:41 PMmessage detail
24.) Where is the Devil Social Link? - By scathatch72

Get your Charm to Level 3, then raise the Hermit S. Link (Maya, the online gamer), to Level 4. She/he/it will mention a man who "talks (or walks?) like a woman". Go to Port Island Station, and talk to the man in the light blue suit. He will ask you to donate Yen. Give him whatever amount he wants. Leave and return to him the next two days and give him Yen. Once you donate a total of 40,000 yen, he will become the Devil Social Link.

25.) How do I get the Sun Link? - By scathatch72

Level the Hanged Man S. Link (Maiko) to about Level 3 or 4. You will meet the man in a Striped Shirt. He is ONLY available to meet on Sundays. Go to Naganaki Shrine on a Sunday (with your Academics at Level 4) and talk to the man. He will say that his red pen is missing, so now you must wait until Koromaru officially joins the party. In the evening, talk to Koromaru to get the pen. Visit the man again on a Sunday and give him the pen. He will become the Sun Social Link.

26.) How do I level the Fool and Death Links faster? Also, how do I get Judgement? - By scathatch72

You can't. These 3 links are basically handed to you as part of the plot. You do not need to worry about levelling these. Judgement becomes available in January, and goes up in the same manner.

27.) What's the fizzy drink that the little girl at the shrine wants? - By scathatch72

Mad Bull. Buy it from the vending machines at the Dorm.

28.) I am trying to gather request items for Elizabeth but they are never dropped by enemies. - By scathatch72

You MUST accept the request before you do any item fetching for her. Also, the Protagonist must kill the enemies himself in order to gain the items.
#5drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2007 12:57:05 PMmessage detail
29.) Help me with Elizabeth’s Request # [whatever]! - By Look over there

Here are some of the common ones, and for the rest, look them up in the FAQs:

8. Create a Valkyrie with the support skill, Tarukaja
- Forneus + Yomotsu Shikome

13. Retrieve Shell of a Man
- Anatomical Body Model from the Chemistry Lab at 1F of the school (Science Lab I believe)

16. Retrieve 1 Shadow Shard from floors 65-68
- Item Box at 68F, 71F, 81F, 84F of Tartarus, 10%

22. Create Vetala with the Fire Skill, Maragi
- Pyro Jack + Zouchouten
or - Pyro Jack + Inugami

23. Create Orthrus with the skill Dodge Slash
- Valkyrie + King Frost
or - Raksasa (Fes Only) + Yamata No Orochi

28. Find a drink that shares Elizabeth’s name
- Underground Bar in Port Island Station

37. Retrieve 1 Shadow Crystal from floors 140-163.
- Item Box at 140F, 144F, 148F, 154F of Tartarus, 10% chance

48. Create Alice with the Almighty Skill, Megido
- September 21st And On
- Decarabia + Principality = Nata Taishi(with Megido)
- Lilim + Pixie + Nata Taishi(with Megido) + Narcissus

51. Create Lilith with Mabufudyne
- Gabriel + (Loa or Aramitama) = Succubus(with Mabufudyne)
- Lilim + Vetala + Incubus + Succubus(with Mabufudyne)

30.) What are the Exam answers?

First Exams 5/18:

5/19: Answer is “Mangekyo.”
5/20: Answer is “Chaos Theory.”
5/21: Answer is “Basic.”
5/22: Answer answer is “How the tools are made.”

Second Exams 7/14:

7/14 - Answer is “Jewish”
7/15 - Answer is “Murasaki Shikibu.”
7/16 - Answer is “The topknot fired bullets.”
7/17 – Answer is “Leonardo da Vinci.”

Third Exams 10/13:

10/13 – Answer is “2”
10/14 – Answer is “Moses”
10/15 – Answer is “Summer Vacation”
10/16 – Answer “Fifteen”

Fourth Exams 12/14:

12/14 – Answer is “1156”
12/15 – Answer is “Magnesium Chloride”
12/16 – Answer is “Mansion”
12/17 – Answer is “So they stood out”
12/18 – Answer is “Latte”

31.) The end - What happened?

[HUGE SPOILERS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED]

The Main Character reaches the ultimate enlightenment, and goes into the final battle with Nyx. He realized that the only way to stop Nyx was to become a living barrier between the negative thoughts of humanity and Nyx. It is because of all the negative emotions of mankind that attracted Nyx in the first place - to fulfill the wishes of these miserable people and kill them all.

The Main Character did come back to earth for a few months. It was obvious that he was tired - he was a friggin' wall! The only reason he was around after defeating Nyx was because he promised to be with his friends on Graduation Day. When his friends remembered the promise, he fell asleep and never woke up (AKA death).

Why dead? Well, look at the opening. Memento mori. Remember that you will die. Remember that you are mortal. And others. They point towards an inevitable death.

The Personae, Orpheus, Thanatos, and Messiah also mean something. Orpheus tried to bring his dead wife from her death in Tartarus to Earth. He failed. Thanatos is the Greek god of Death (and a child of Nyx). The Messiah, in the Christian context, is a martyr, and died for everyone else.

And when you fought Nyx, did you truly win? No. Still up there. You cannot defeat death.

You may have noticed the blue butterfly that appears when you die. Well, it appeared at the end as well.

These points simply cannot be mere coincidences.

[End Spoilers]

The end. Feel free to post ^^

Contributions are always more than welcome, and you will be credited for them.
#6Look over therePosted 11/2/2007 1:01:23 PMmessage detail
Goob job as always putting it together

Gah, just remembered one more thing

The Star S.Link is at 9, but I can't find him anymore!
Once he's reached 9, you can only see him on a school day. If you can't see a school commu, you can't see him.
#7drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2007 1:06:07 PMmessage detail
That'll just have to wait until the next update to be added (which should have enough to fill that small page at least), but since it's still on the first page, people can find it...

Still, it's appreciated ^_^
---
Currently playing: Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny Remake, Pokemon, Xenosaga 1-3, Lunar Knights
#8Turkish01Posted 11/2/2007 2:05:11 PMmessage detail
Nice work, now if we can just get people to read it.

---
The Battle of Voodoo Fest - New Orleans, LA 26/10/07
Wake up and fight! - Zach de la Rocha
#9drachemeister(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2007 2:44:20 AMmessage detail
I direct you up to the first post and to the left.

Yes, the left.

See that message detail thing? Click it.

See that sticky button thing? Click it.
---
Currently playing: Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny Remake, Pokemon, Xenosaga 1-3, Lunar Knights
#10jordan_ravePosted 11/3/2007 2:56:53 AMmessage detail
wow good job ;) I hope people will open to have a look =D
---
"One is all, All is one" ~ Taharka, Boss of Ipsen Castle in FF9.