World In Conflict 2 gameplay ideas

#1Uncle_UziPosted 7/24/2009 8:24:51 AM

New role could be:

LOGISTICS: This could be a huge opportunity to add classic RTS elements to WiC. The Logistics role would choose one of three pre-set points on the map, and once chosen, a large convoy of trucks would drive in from the side of the map and set up a Base Camp, an area of fortification approximately the size of a football field (but not limited to a rectangular shape), defended by player-chosen fortifications (AT, AA or MG bunkers). Enclosed by sandbags with a main gate, it houses forward command tents, medical tents, ammo/fuel depots, and a plethora of spare parts.

Role specific abilities:

- Within the base, all friendly units recieve automatic repairs/healing, and special ability reload times are halved.

- The Logistics role can call in all normal TA, along with special TA 'upgrades' that once purchased can reduce reinforcement lag by 25% up to 2 times, reducing all allied reinforcement drop times by up to 10 seconds. Once the base is destroyed this benefit is lost.

- Other TA 'upgrades' include a permanant Radar station that increases all allied LOS, and an Intel station that, once purchased, reveals the location of all incoming enemy TA 5 seconds from impact. Again, these are lost when the base is destroyed.

- May only call in Two units, the regular troop transport of the faction (ex. Humvee for U.S.) and a new unit, the Supply Truck, that can fortify CPs within seconds and when in close proximity with allies, reduces all special ability reload times by 25%. These are the only ways that the Logisitcs role can gain TA (along with repairing units in the base).

WHY IT WOULD WORK: This role adds a missing element to online WiC battles. It allows for a player to focus much more on supporting the team as a whole, rather than mainly tanks with the current support role. If a team has a good logistics player, they will not only have access to faster reinforcement drops, but also better vision for all troops and a heads up on incoming enemy TA. The logistics player would be able to focus much more on placing his own TA strikes because he hasn't got nearly as much going on for him in the heat of a battle, so he is a good player for all others to pool TA. Also, it provides players with more options of attack for a long-term strategy. Attack a command point and work towards acheiving the objective and winning the game, but a counter attack is inevitable. Attack a Logisitcs base, and weaken the enemy's ability to wage war altogether.

Like it?

#2rogueinspacePosted 7/24/2009 1:41:01 PM
Well from what you've said, that sounds ridiculously over-powered. The LOS upgrade makes Scouts and Paras a weaker unit, and seeing TA before impact is just unfair. If you really want to predict TA, turn on camera freedom and zoom out so you can see the planes coming in.

Depending on the speed of healing, that could potentially make it almost invincible (Without use of TA). Also, despite the advantages, tankers and infantry would almost never return to the camp, simply because it takes too much time. The base eventually becomes a cluster**** of tanks and AT infantry with auto-healing defending it from the enemy.

A big problem I see is the infamous heavy air rush. If two heavy chopper players zerg you in the beginning of the match, the base is gone, and they could simply return every now and then to mop up. And the fact that it's a stationary base makes it incredibly susceptible to TA. You'll have non-stop artillery raining down on your doorstep with no-where to go, and then the air players will be there to clean-up (again).

Also, one of my favorite aspects of WiC is the fact that there is no base building. At all. You are forced to focus most of your attention on the battle at hand, rather than setting up an outpost or tweaking a base. I'm open to new ideas, but what your suggesting is taking away what I and many other players love about this game.
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came
#3Uncle_Uzi(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2009 4:37:10 PM

rogueinspace posted...
Well from what you've said, that sounds ridiculously over-powered. The LOS upgrade makes Scouts and Paras a weaker unit, and seeing TA before impact is just unfair. If you really want to predict TA, turn on camera freedom and zoom out so you can see the planes coming in.

Not necessarily, considering that Paras and scouts could then be MORE effective units with the LOS upgrade, allowing you to drop them into safer areas while still recieving recon. Maybe seeing incoming enemy TA would simply be a HUD marker that reads "Evacuate the area!", not saying what kind of strike it is or exactly where it will hit.

Depending on the speed of healing, that could potentially make it almost invincible (Without use of TA). Also, despite the advantages, tankers and infantry would almost never return to the camp, simply because it takes too much time. The base eventually becomes a cluster**** of tanks and AT infantry with auto-healing defending it from the enemy.

That's the potential beauty of it. It's a logistics base, not an actual game-winning objective. If friendly players choose to fortify it with their own units, they are consciously choosing to ignore the actual objective of CPs, weakening the front line. It may be a powerful defensive postion, but destroying it is only necessary if it becomes too influential on the course of the battle. Also, the job of pulling wounded infantry back from the front line to base for healing would be perfect for those Troop transports that I mentioned the Logs' player would have access to.

A big problem I see is the infamous heavy air rush. If two heavy chopper players zerg you in the beginning of the match, the base is gone, and they could simply return every now and then to mop up. And the fact that it's a stationary base makes it incredibly susceptible to TA. You'll have non-stop artillery raining down on your doorstep with no-where to go, and then the air players will be there to clean-up (again).

A real problem faced in real warfare. Two factors however could help the base from being defenseless in the beginning of the match: 1. The base could come with 2 SAM sites built into the fortifications and 2. Having three options for where to initially put it guarantees only a 1/3 chance of being detected early in the game. Also, if the enemy REALLY needs to flatten that base with a 40+ point TA strike, why not let them? Once again - it is a conscious choice to divert resources from the front to attack this secondary objective, so whatever happens, happens. I don't hear of anyone complaining that a well timed 5-point light artillery barrage can destroy thousands of reinforcement points worth of infantry right at the drop zone...?

Also, one of my favorite aspects of WiC is the fact that there is no base building. At all. You are forced to focus most of your attention on the battle at hand, rather than setting up an outpost or tweaking a base. I'm open to new ideas, but what your suggesting is taking away what I and many other players love about this game.

The way I see it, the Logistics base is really only quasi-base building, considering you would have no control over the actual layout of the base (only its geographic position) and its outer defenses (pre-determined plots where you would simply choose what kind of bunker to put on it).

Thank you for the legitimate response, by the way.

+1 cookie has been added to your inventory

#4rogueinspacePosted 7/27/2009 8:54:03 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I personally don't see it working with the way the game is now. 40 TA really isn't that much considering that one player can muster this alone. Stationary objects are just cannon fodder in this game, thanks to the glorious variety of artillery and air support you have at your disposal.

One other point, 2 SAM sites will not last long with a heavy air player. Again, stationary targets + force-fire = *sadface*. A support player would probably have to babysit you while you get your stuff together at the beginning of the match.

Imo, there's just too many ways to kill the base as the game is.

...*eats cookie* >.>
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni
#5ultradude2345Posted 8/9/2009 7:01:02 AM

Sounds interesting

#6kllermax5Posted 8/12/2009 5:14:49 AM
but would tactical aids easily destory ur base? iam sure a carpet bombing or a nuke would wipe it out
---
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!
#7warrommelPosted 8/14/2009 2:32:20 PM
nice idea
I have thougth of this for ages i thought of a Naval role it devolping but here just basics thought quickly off my mind
like the air role they would only have 4 units to choose from (not counting the few units they can buy off other roles for a higher cost)
1 which would be available to every role although a higher cost the PT boat which could be a lightly armed boat that can also carry infantry rather like the the humvee and be the only one that would be always
an offshore battleship (only on maps with a coast) which works like the ship from SP in "Pine valley"
and aircraft carrier again only on coastal maps which could half rienforcement drops and plane dropped TA
and finally submarine but thats so simaliar to batlleship so maybe a hover plane like from SA SP fjord map which is like Heavy PT boat with missiles!
I realise that this has a lot of flaws but it is quickly off my mind and the Naval role woill be almost ineffevive in non water maps but then on coastal maps it will still be good as ai said its just a thought so don't start giving me lots of hate mail
#8rogueinspacePosted 8/14/2009 10:38:58 PM
^ I remember that stirred up a lot of conversation at the Massgate forums. It's pretty cool, but (obviously) would require a lot of work to implement. I was thinking more of an amphibious role that could expand on the Amphibious Transport, but that too would be hard to put it.
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni