Leveling as a Templar with a greatsword?

#1FrozenFlame41Posted 8/16/2009 12:07:22 AM
So I got my temp to level 16. Leveling is kind of painfully slow as a Templar. I mean I utilize all my shield abilities. I tend to use my first chain skill, the weakening strike, then I put up Shield Defense to get a proc for my two shield counter abilities (And if I press them at the same time, both will go off one after another without needing two blocks). But it was still painfully slow.

At 16, I got a few more offensive attacks, and it's better, but I'm considering using a greatsword. After all, my plate armor and high health pool makes monster attacks pretty much negligible. Before I couldn't use a greatsword because I relied on my shield counter abilities for damage. Now with two more offensive abilities, it seems I could kill a lot faster with a greatsword.

Thoughts?
---
Why don't hot girls take morning classes in College? -SomeGuyUO
They are too tired from having sex all night with people who aren't you. -dwadeisback
#2pokesmashmasterPosted 8/16/2009 4:47:43 AM
From what i hear/have experienced in the CN trial, you shouldn't be using a shield and should be using a polearm or greatsword.
---
F this ramen! F for FANTASTIC!
The Prince, The World Ends With You
#3IqarP15Posted 8/16/2009 5:24:19 AM
Templar's use greatsword's only as a 2hander...most player's use a 2hander from what i've read to kill faster, yet after 20 I think it's sword and board unless the templar team's up with a chanter then they just use the 2hander.
---
I might say "god damn" alot but I know the Lord know's that I don't mean it that way!
#4TheWarhammeronlPosted 8/16/2009 5:55:19 AM
i actually started using a 2 hander on my 12 templar, and i hardly noticed a difference, all my skills that hit like 110, where hitting like 125...i mean not that big of a difference, and you lose your two hard hitting shield moves, i recommend not
---
"You're opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#5LeVulcanPosted 8/16/2009 6:07:57 AM
Switch off between the two, have two weapon sets. That's what I did too, once I hit Lv. 17 in CN client. Used Greatswords for enemies I knew I could kill, then Mace + Shield against those who gave a challenge.
---
XBL GT: Gravimite
I will kill you until you die from it!
#6SightoPosted 8/16/2009 6:11:23 AM
You're not leveling alone, are ya?
---
This is it so get this game and get your trigger on.
This is my catch fraise - BlazBlue review
#7FrozenFlame41(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2009 2:06:01 PM

i actually started using a 2 hander on my 12 templar, and i hardly noticed a difference, all my skills that hit like 110, where hitting like 125...i mean not that big of a difference, and you lose your two hard hitting shield moves, i recommend not

Because at your level, you only have 3 abilities you could use with the two hander. Try back at 16 when you get a few more offensive abilities, not shield based abilities. I already said in my original post before 16, shield was better due to my two shield counter abilities.
---
Why don't hot girls take morning classes in College? -SomeGuyUO
They are too tired from having sex all night with people who aren't you. -dwadeisback
#8omfgidk756Posted 8/16/2009 7:05:18 PM
I really dont have too much trouble soloing with my Templar, i just now got a 2h weapon and idk if its because i used sword and shield for so long or not but i take way more damage with the 2h than the shield, just because of the fact that you have the two counters and the stun move, its just like i do all of my sword attacks then go in shield defense mode get the two counters then my cooldown are just finishing and i repeat, taking like 10% damage or somthin like that against a mob 1 lvl higher than me. stick with the shield imo.