Is this game as good as the hype?

#1BahamutDarkFirePosted 9/24/2009 6:07:36 PM
I've played (nearly) every popular MMO in existence at some point. Only really been messing around with Champions Online recently since my life has been a lot more hectic, but now I'm finding more free time and while CO is fun, it's not "it."

Is it Aion? In my opinion, nothing can touch classic EQ in its prime, FFXI was fun for a while, WoW had its moments, and I played a lot of Vanguard amongst many others. I prefer the EQ/Vanguard style of MMO's, and I've heard Aion is kind of like EQ mixed with WoW in ways.

I have to say, just from looking at the screenshots, Aion appears supremely impressive. Any opinions guys? Really close to splurging on another MMO in the same month o.O
---
"Therein is your error, smoke not the bowl, smoke the contents." - Greendrakkon | A kid complaining he wasn't high after "smoking 2 bowls."
#2ChuckiefreshPosted 9/24/2009 6:11:44 PM

I'm in the same situation. I've had some fun with Champions Online but I don't think it has long term appeal. as least not for me.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up Aion as well. I'm hesitant to buy 2 MMO's in 1 month but when you find a really good one, the money spent is well worth.

#3BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2009 6:14:19 PM
Well, I only play MMO's almost exclusively because I don't really have much time for video games in general anymore. If you think that sounds backwards, consider it like this; why would I go out and purchase several console games that last 8-20 hours each when I can just pick up 1 good MMO and solely play that an hour or two a day for months?

To me, MMO's have always been a better investment. Just looking for some opinions based off my comments.
---
"Therein is your error, smoke not the bowl, smoke the contents." - Greendrakkon | A kid complaining he wasn't high after "smoking 2 bowls."
#4KingkielPosted 9/24/2009 6:18:04 PM
I guess it depends on what your looking for. If you like PvP then go for Aion. I'll admit I like the story behind Aion between the Elyos and Asmodians, and the graphics are pretty solid to boot. The game is just not my style. I'm just not a fan of PvP in MMOs. They're very hard to balance right as one or two classes are just OP in the beginning, they make a patch to fix the OP classes, but then two more become OP in the process.

If you can at least give it a shot to make your own judgement. As for me I'm just going back to console games until FFXIV come out...and good luck.
---
PSN = X_Omegaforce_X
#5ChuckiefreshPosted 9/24/2009 6:18:32 PM

That makes perfect sense to me. I played wow for quite a while and I was very much aware of the amount of money I was saving by paying the $15 monthly fee. I find when I'm not playing an MMO, the money I spend on gaming goes WAY up.

#6bonzibuddyxxxPosted 9/24/2009 6:22:50 PM
This game is good if you can play it.......
All servers on east have queues at prime time...
So do alot on west. One hour queues btw. Don't bother joining until they fix it.
I already bought the game so im screwed.
#7BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2009 6:24:11 PM
Exactly. That's why all the "ZOMG THIS HAS MONTHLY FEE NO THX" comments really bother me.

If you play the game for the free month, and like it enough to continue paying for it monthly, you shouldn't have any reason to drop another $60 on any console or PC game anytime soon.

Like I said, I'd be buying at least 1 game a month to keep my gaming needs met, but with an MMO I typically play the same one for months at a time paying 1/4 of that.
---
#8MaphistoPosted 9/24/2009 6:24:49 PM

bonzibuddyxxx posted...
This game is good if you can play it.......
All servers on east have queues at prime time...
So do alot on west. One hour queues btw. Don't bother joining until they fix it.
I already bought the game so im screwed.

Uh.. not everyone is having that problem.

#9BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2009 6:26:12 PM
Meh, server queues I can handle. I did play WoW after all.

*comes home from work, logs in, hits queue*

*jumps in the shower*

Win
---
#10polopiliPosted 9/24/2009 6:34:34 PM
I kinda regret buying this right away at full price now that age of conan is only $5 and has an upcoming expansion pack.

The early levels are such a pain in Aion. You get so few skills to use and the first zones are basically a single long hallway filled with monsters.