Gladiator vs Templar questions.

#1AllDay524Posted 8/7/2012 10:31:08 PM
Just a few quick questions regarding the two before I pick one.

1. Which in your opinion is more fun to play?

2. Which is more valued during end game? (PvE and PvP)

3. I'm I forced to use a certain type of weapon with each class? Or am I allowed to switch it up without limiting myself? (Ie: Is it viable to go two handed with the templar/Dual wield with Gladiator?)

Thnkas
---
'I was looking up Pokemon Hentai today and it was full of Gardevoirs and Pikachus. I'm like what the hell is this? Wheres all the May and Dawn pics?' LittleUnit
#2dark lancerPosted 8/8/2012 10:46:08 AM

Gladiator vs. Templar is pretty much offense vs. defense. I've tried both classes in Verteron (and gladiator in Eltnen) and they play about the same solo. Battles take longer as a Templar, but you don't take a lot of damage. Battles are over more quickly as a gladiator, but you don't take a lot of damage because you kill quickly.

Templars are great in group PvE because you can use crowd control skills to keep monsters off your weaker allies, but party cohesion is important and you can sometimes find yourself herding cats. If you socket mana stones which increase defensive abilities like block or parry, or boost HP you can be a pretty good wall. I have no idea how well they do in solo or party PvP and I'm pretty sure that the taunt skills only work on monsters.

Gladiators are particularly susceptible to magical attacks. My tactic for dealing with spellcasters as a gladiator is to close the distance as fast as I can and use skills which knock down enemies. There's one guaranteed gladiator skill which does heavy damage to a downed enemy, and I was using a stigma stone which gave me a second skill that does even more damage to the downed enemy. I became quick enough to the point where I could use both skills on one downed target. I socketed accuracy and critical hit mana stones.

I think I enjoyed being a gladiator more, since I found myself soloing a lot and I prefer the offensive school. Templar is better for PvE parties, but gladiators are very useful too. My PvPvE encounters as a gladiator with raiding Asmodeans generally went well and I was able to kill or drive off groups with my AoE skills. The gladiator's AoE skills are useful against Spiritmasters who use servants (I don't mean the summons that follow them everywhere) to do DoT on you. My Spiritmaster had a very close duel with a gladiator of similar level, and he was able to defeat me by outlasting me with HoT potions.

3. I'm I forced to use a certain type of weapon with each class? Or am I allowed to switch it up without limiting myself? (Ie: Is it viable to go two handed with the templar/Dual wield with Gladiator?)

I'm pretty sure that Gladiators can use any weapon except for staves, orbs, and spell books. This includes bows. Gladiators can't dual wield without the appropriate stigma stone equipped, and while I haven't tried a dual wield gladiator, I know that they get an incredible DPS on normal attacks with them but also cannot use most of their offensive attack skills. Many offensive attack skills require a two-handed weapon.

I didn't get far enough with my Templar to try it out, but I understand that a Templar can tank well enough without a shield if he wants to use two-handed weapons. There are a few skills which require the shield, though.
---
The greatest injustice of our time is motivated by the irrational fear of children.
[Papal Crusaders]
#3Hard_WiredPosted 8/10/2012 5:53:55 PM
Well, I have a level 60 Templar and a level 35-ish Gladiator (Asmo and Elyos).

Templar's main weapon choice should be sword and shield, but mace and shield is good if you're going the magic route with your Templar, using Magic Smash and similar Greater Stigma build for your Templar.

Sword (or Mace) and Shield is the main setup for group play, and tanking bosses. When tanking, you have to use the Shield specific skills to reduce boss damage, only Templars have maximum use of shield skills for this.

Templars are usually the leader in almost all groups, so if you are a Templar, be ready to take lead, watch the enemy, and keep things under control.

On my Templar, I socket Crit Strike and Attack+5. I don't use Block or HP. Some skills will help your Block ability anyway.
It's pretty neat in PvP when you just put up all your defense skills, and watch your melee opponent chip away at your HP. Magic attacks are a different story. If fighting a Sorcerer or Spiritmaster, equip cloth armor as that armor has the most magic resist you can get for free, then socket it with Magic Resist manastones, and you should be able to handle those magic users. :p
I also buff my Templar with my Chanter so she has extra HP and buffs to help her out in PvE.

The Greatsword is the Templar's heavy damage alternative weapon. If you're not tanking, and just killing quest mobs, go with a Greatsword.

Gladiator's main weapon choice is the Polearm simply because it is the most powerful weapon type in the game, and that's what Gladiators do, dish out high damage.

Since Gladiators can use a wide variety of weapons, I think the best setup would be a Polearm (or Greatsword, your choice), and dual wield two swords. Maybe keep a bow handy just in case.
The differences between Polearm and Greatsword:
1. Polearm - high and low spike damage, has low accuracy, mid crit strike bonus, slowest weapon in the game
2. Greatsword - steady damage, low crit strike bonus, a bit faster than the Polearm

The problem is that the Gladiator's skill set are designed for mostly two handed weapons, like the Polearm and Greatsword, so you get the most out of a Gladiator if you use those weapons, but you can experiment with dual wielding and whatnot to see how it works for you.

Gladiators are just brute force, high HP, high attack power, high damage, and so you just concentrate on those stats. Socket Crit Strike, and Attack + manastones to get the most out of your warrior.
Knockdowns are also the Gladiators winning strategy, if it happens alot, your opponent won't be able to touch you.

In light of all this, for PVP, it's the Godstone that decides who wins and loses. So, yeah, game is a little broken there.
---
PSN: Final_ARC
LIVE: NegativeNinety9
#4eden1221Posted 8/11/2012 4:56:58 PM
Attack manastones is only good for PvE or assassins. It's good if you stack alot of it for PvE so you are able to maintain good DPS (which also helps you hold agro). You can tank mainly every group boss with a great sword. Shield and sword/mace isn't necessary unless you are tanking 12-man instances with high DPS, or you just have a bad cleric. Even then, you can still tank with a great sword.

If you didn't know, attack manastones add on +1 white damage for every skill you use. For example, 10 attack +5's slotted into your armor/weapon would give you 50 damage. If that skill or auto attack crits, it is 100 damage. It isn't a bad thing, but there are other manastones you can use that will have a larger benefit.

Magic resist doesn't help you resist sorcs or spiritmasters. Endgame, most sorcs/sm stack enough magical accuracy and have skills that either increase their magical accuracy or decrease yours. I have an MR set myself, but that is only for resisting classes other than clothies.

To answer your questions,
I have both a gladiator and templar and both classes are fun to play.
Templars rely more on gear because at endgame, you should have multiple armor sets to handle different situations. I enjoy my templar more because I have more defensive skills for my group and myself.
An example is Bodyguard(there are 3 different levels and it is a stigma). The latest level absorbs 100% damage taken on the group member that it is used on, but the caster only receives 50%. For Dredgion or just group PvP in general, it makes a huge difference for your party. I always have it slotted because I normally play with my gf and a couple of friends.
Mostly all templars go the DPS stigma tree, so you don't have to worry about hitting like a noodle. They don't have as much skills are glads, but hit just as hard.
Gladiators are also fun because they have a lot of offensive buffs. They are good for group PvP too because they have AoE moves.

Before you ask, you should socket crit strike manastones for either class you choose. Block is only useful for PvP, HP isn't necessary because you have moves that increase your life and have life potions, parry is stupid.

2. Which is more valued during end game? (PvE and PvP)
Both are valued the same. Although for 12 man instances, they want a templar to tank bosses, but glads can join as DPS too.
Same thing for PvP. People normally handle leading instances to the glad/temp. Templars can help protect their team, while the glad's job is to rape the opposing team.

Templars can use a great sword and a shield and mace/sword. Gladiators can use pole arms or great swords as their main weapon, daggers, swords or maces for dual wielding and bows for fun.

Templars use mace/sword and shield to mitigate damage. Great swords are for DPSing. As I explained above, you can tank most instances with a great sword, but can switch to mace/sword and shield if it gets too difficult.
Gladitors use pole arms/great swords for PvP due to the knockdowns. They use dagger/sword/mace for PvE as it yields more DPS. Some off-hand a bow if the enemy gets to far from you and want some damage before you close the gap.

Hope I helped, if you need any more questions answered just ask.
---
~`MPO+ Name: -Eden-` Currently Playing: Counter-Strike and Aion
Proud Member of TBB, TeaBaggingBastards
#5HarielPosted 9/9/2012 7:52:20 AM
Gladiators are alot more fun, and I wish I had made my templar one. There is far more variety of weapons and attacks for a gladiator, and the defensive advantages gained by the templar class are negligible for PVP.

Bottom line is, every class requires support of a healer and templars are no different, their HP and defense are not in any way impressive, even using the best shields.
---
"Strength is the only thing that matters in this world. Everything else is just a delusion for the weak."
#6eden1221Posted 9/9/2012 4:33:26 PM
Hariel posted...
Gladiators are alot more fun, and I wish I had made my templar one. There is far more variety of weapons and attacks for a gladiator, and the defensive advantages gained by the templar class are negligible for PVP.

Bottom line is, every class requires support of a healer and templars are no different, their HP and defense are not in any way impressive, even using the best shields.

I guess you don't know how to use your templar. Defensive advantages are negligible? Lets list skills:
Iron skin, 30 seconds to negate any damage by 50% and removes any status effects on user. Works for any class/mobs damaging you. As for pvp, having all those debuffs instantly removed makes it a great skill.

Aether armor, increases magic resist by 800 for 30 seconds. Accompanied by an magic resist set, you can resist sorcs, sm, and clerics and DPS your target without interruption. You can also resist assassin rune hits, glad's ankle snare, ranger's root/snare, and pretty much any magical attack.

Remove shock chain, a free 25% heal if stunned, knocked down, aether held. And a 1 minute cd?

Empyrean armor, recovers HP by 25%, increases maximum hp by 50% and natural healing by 50. And when you're attacked by a player, you take less damage.

Holy shield, reflects 168 damage for 30 secs. Against good players who can weave, its 338 damage per skill, and it adds up.

Zikel's Shield (4k DP), removes altered states and prevents you from gettin gaffected by any altered states for 30s. Any physical damage is negated.

Hand of healing (2K DP), heals you for 100% of your HP.

I listed bodyguard in an above post.

Panoply of protection, blocks 5k damage for a party member within 25m.

Then templars can use their block set for any melee opponents, which mitigates damage by 70% with a +10 shield. Then add passive defensive and pvp defense gear.

In group pvp, my cleric rarely heals me as the other group members are taking damage. No one focuses a gladiator/templar first in group pvp, cause that's stupid. Templars can protect any of their group members getting focused, while applying the same amount of pressure a gladiator can. If I do get focused, then I have my 3 self heals, pots, and AP potions and I can use any skill/armor set appropriate for the situation to reduce the damage.

Gladiators are more fun to you because they are an easy class to play.
---
~`MPO+ Name: -Eden-` Currently Playing: Counter-Strike and Aion
Proud Member of TBB, TeaBaggingBastards
More topics from this board...
Magical Aether?Hariel110/22 4:09AM