Hidden Bananas

#1TerotrousPosted 10/8/2008 7:35:04 AM
We're never going to know, are we?

Oh well, maybe this will be one of those things like Penny Racers for the N64 where I come back 10 years later and the mystery has finally been solved.

I suspect now the only way it could possibly be figured out is through hacking.
---
Brawl FC - 0301 9482 5952 MK FC - 2363 6025 1498 Puyo Puyo 15th FC - 5197 9464 1168
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!
#2GauRocksPosted 10/15/2008 11:46:35 PM
I'm tempted to do it myself, the same way I found the hidden special messages in Brawl.

Not until I get some time off, though, which probably means Christmastime at the earliest. I have a lot of patience for that kind of thing, but I've lost a lot of interest in this game and there are about six others that I'd like to finish before I even think about getting back to it. Finding out that something is essentially impossible to 100% is a massive gaming turn-off to me, but knowing that there could be something buried is going to keep pulling me back until I give it a good long look.

Rest assured, it's a low priority for me, but it's going to happen eventually if nobody else does it. Of course, the downside to my method is that if I do find bananas on those levels, all we'll know is the number of them and the reward for 100%, not the location or if they're actually accessible through any real method. Of course, if anyone else has any brilliant insight into things that probably can't be discussed within the TOS and wants to beat me to the punch, go for it. Getting the results "right now" is way better than "eventually".
---
:{//=|ROYAL DEFENDER OF NABOO|=\\}:
REALLY
- adv. Apparently.
#3GauRocksPosted 10/17/2008 3:05:52 PM
After a second quick look (my first look was really lazy), it seems like there's a flag right after your time. If it's set to 00, the level displays the number of bananas. If it's set to 80, it says "complete". If I set them all to 80, any unlockables should, in theory, pop up.

Once I actually get around to unlocking the last two worlds, it should be pretty simple to test. Yeah, I know. My interest in this game just died instantly when I read ahead and realized that it was impossible to get those bananas. I've got worlds 1-6 crowned and I don't actually need all the bananas to test the unlockables, so it shouldn't be too painful.
---
REALLY
- adv. Apparently.
#4brian sulpher(Moderator)Posted 10/20/2008 8:30:54 AM
It would be awesome to finally get the answer on this topic. Please do figure it all out if you could.
---
77 FAQs for games never covered at www.GameFAQs.com.
Redemption is only three fights away
#5GauRocksPosted 10/22/2008 7:35:48 PM
I sat down with this last night and impressed a few friends by crowning worlds 7 and 8, which unlocked world 9. I've basically got a decent strategy for every level except 9-6, which I've only managed to clear once, by what I assume is sheer luck. As soon as I figure that out and beat 10, I'll be ready to take a few stabs at the bananas.

I'm still going to guess sometime in December, because 9-6 is giving me that "never again" vibe right now and the crown will still take me a while to put together a single run without continues. At least there's no Soft Cream, which is probably the level that frustrates me the most in any Monkey Ball game to date. My strategy there was "go at the right angle and try to jump up, because I can't do the swirl". I don't know why, but I've never been able to do it the "right" way.

At any rate, I do have a guess or two on what will work when I get there. Actually, if anyone wants to upload a save with world 10 cleared and post a rapidshare link or something, I can use that and try it right away for you guys. Banana counts don't matter at all, scores don't matter at all, and times don't matter at all, but it would be useful if you've actually cleared every bonus stage completely, since I'm not sure where the stage clear flags are and I'd have to look for them. If you'd rather not distribute your save file all over the internet, I have an e-mail and AIM listed that you can use to get in touch with me privately. If nobody's got the means to share one, no big deal. I'll just wait and use mine when I finish.
---
REALLY
- adv. Apparently.
#6JigpuffPosted 10/23/2008 3:09:42 PM
http://www.vortiginous.com/miles/bananablitz/other/file4.zip
---
Super Monkey Ball World Records: http://www.vortiginous.com/smb/
Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports High Scores: http://www.elitescores.com/
#7GauRocksPosted 10/24/2008 5:47:45 PM
Well, I took an initial crack at it, but either I'm missing something really obvious or Sega's using a nonstandard 128 bit checksum on the save file, despite the fact that Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity uses a very simple CRC-32 that I figured out in a few seconds.

I think I'm probably missing something, but I'm also looking into the other option just in case. I'll let you guys know when I find anything interesting or if I end up giving up, but it's not as easy as I hoped it would be.
---
REALLY
- adv. Apparently.
#8GauRocksPosted 11/4/2008 11:21:13 AM
I'm basically convinced now that it is some weird 128 bit hash, since small changes in files seem to cause huge changes in its value, where a checksum would only change by a small amount. How strange, that they would put such a good data integrity check on such a niche game, and yet have such a weak one on their later releases.

We're back to waiting for me to have more free time, so I can either figure out the hashing function or try some other potential routes to the solution. I'm not giving up yet, since I still haven't exhausted my options.

Oh, and yes, I am aware of the difference between a CRC and a checksum, so anyone shaking their head about my last post can relax. It was a typo, athough CRC may as well be a checksum, for all the data security it provides.
---
REALLY
- adv. Apparently.
#9Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2008 2:22:13 PM
I'd love to see this finally resolved.

I figure that somewhere the hidden bananas are stored basically as an X,Y,Z coordinate, and if you ever found the list that would be the mother load, but I suspect it's probably well encrypted.

A simple RAM overwrite to trick the game into thinking you have the bananas would probably suffice, though I'm surprised the check is that simple - the game tracks every banana in the game separately as to whether you've picked it up or not.
---
Brawl FC - 0301 9482 5952 MK FC - 2363 6025 1498 Puyo Puyo 15th FC - 5197 9464 1168
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!
#10GauRocksPosted 12/4/2008 12:46:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]