Is there a short way to the Chantry of Secrets from Kodonur Crossroads?

#1Chrono007Posted 9/13/2008 2:03:36 PM
I tried to go through the "Fortress of Jahai" but there wasn't any way to get across the river... do I have to play all the way through the story to get to the Kodash Bazaar? Is there any way I can run there?

:<

Reference Map
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/1/1a/Kourna_poster_map.jpg

---
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
--Albert Einstein
#2Shadow1975Posted 9/13/2008 3:24:59 PM
Have to do the quests/missions.

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#3Chrono007(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2008 5:49:43 PM
Can I skip any of them at all?

---
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
--Albert Einstein
#4Shadow1975Posted 9/13/2008 6:16:13 PM
Quit being lazy and ask wiki.

Shadow
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#5Duke DarkwoodPosted 9/16/2008 10:49:22 PM
The Fortress of Jahai is impassible. You can map both sides of it, and the map gets the entire fortress itself unfogged, but you cannot cross it. It is the fortress from which Varesh Ossa runs the Kournan army.

And, to your other question: No. No shortcuts in this game. You can map all of Kourna without doing a single mainland mission, but you cannot set foot into Vabbi until you have done the missions up to and including Moddok Crevice - which gives you entrance to Vabbi. (Then, you can map all of Vabbi without doing further missions, but must do the missions up to and including Gate of Desolation to do any real exploration of the Desolation.)

So. The game's more lenient than Factions when it comes to exploration, in that you can explore an entire region once you have access to it (except the Realm of Torment, which must be done mission by mission... but then, you can't really map that place) - but it's more strict than Prophecies, in that all missions up to a point must be done in order to reach new regions.

Now.... if you have the money to pay runners, it IS possible to bypass missions and get into Vabbi. Get to the Gate of Desolation, and you can find people offering runs to Vabbi. You'll have to be DEAD in the Desolation zones, before the game lets them activate their Junundu, but they can get you through the necessary zones. They can even get you to places within the Desolation, such as Bone Palace (where Ancient Armor is made).

Once in Vabbi, you can explore on your own. You just need the run to take you from the Gate of Desolation to..... Vehjin Mines, I believe is the outpost name? Or is that the adjacent zone name?

OK, I checked. Basalt Grotto is the outpost that straddles the border between the Desolation and Vabbi. Get run there from the Gate, and you can then explore Vabbi on foot.

All without having ever done a single Mission on the Elonian mainland (although you must have done the quest Hunted! to gain access to the Sunspear Sanctuary, central hub of Kourna).

To enter the Realm of Torment, however, you MUST do the Ruins of Morah mission, which necessitates having done all(*) missions prior to it. It is a choke point as certainly as Thunderhead Keep is.

(*) There are a couple of "either/or" points. For story progress, you need only do one mission at each choice point; doing both is only for the Protector and Guardian titles.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#6Jameschen1Posted 9/23/2008 10:15:22 AM

Duke_Darkwood posted...

Now.... if you have the money to pay runners, it IS possible to bypass missions and get into Vabbi.Get to the Gate of Desolation, and you can find people offering runs to Vabbi. You'll have to be DEAD in the Desolation zones, before the game lets them activate their Junundu

this can no longer be done as they have fixed it in 1 of the previous updates. now the wurm will no longer spawn if even 1 person in the group has not done the Gate of Desolation mission. dead or not doesn't matter

#7Chrono007(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2008 1:49:52 PM
I ended up doing the missions; there weren't as many as I thought... now my necro has Vabbian armor :O.

Thanks for the the help.

---
--Albert Einstein
#8Duke DarkwoodPosted 9/23/2008 8:12:39 PM
I stand corrected, Jameschen - and I can't say I'm displeased. I don't have anything AGAINST people who take runs, but I'm personally all for earning one's progress rather than buying it.

And congratulations on making it through, Chrono. Yeah, you only needed to do the Kournan missions, up to Moddok Crevice. Once in Vabbi, you could simply work your way to the Kodash Bazaar on foot.

And! On top of everything else, you got two new heroes out of it. Zhed, and either Margrid or the Master.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#9Chrono007(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2008 8:34:11 PM
I like playing the missions fine -- the reason I wanted to get there without doing any of them is because I am currently playing through nightfall with some of my friends with the same necromancer I bought the armor with...

I'll just play through with another character until we get to where my necromancer is at :P.

---
--Albert Einstein
#10Duke DarkwoodPosted 9/23/2008 9:37:59 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. You want to have everybody on the same page.

Ah, it sounds like you're the one who's ahead, from that last comment? In that case, leave him there - maybe funnel some of your other character's money to him, if you want to get him skills or something - and play the other guy with your friends, until they catch up.

Or, of course, just have the Necromancer warp back to where they are. There's nothing wrong with rehashing old areas, and all the mainland is pretty much Lv20 content, anyway; you'd only be overpowered on Istan.
---