I think FFXII-style corporate meddling has started with FF Versus XIII.

#1GalvanizationPosted 8/31/2012 4:00:01 PM
The quote from Yoichi Wada at the 25th Anniversary event launch conference:

“When [the game] reaches the level where it gives you that nostalgic, “this is Final Fantasy!” feeling, I want to show it to everyone.”

That goes against what Nomura intended for FF Versus XIII. The game was supposed to show a unique direction of FF that was impossible to be done in the mainline series.

- Realistic characters and dialogue.
- A story so serious and depressing that it couldn't be done in mainline FF.
- More reality and real world events than fantasy.

FF Versus XIII sounded far from being a "nostalgic FF" that Wada is saying. The fact he was in a meeting for Versus XIII a few week ago (and saw the stunning HD city) should have given us a sign that the SQEX executives are now involved in the development and direction of the game.

I have a bad feeling about this. This will be FFXII all over again. :-(
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#2ichigohollowXPosted 8/31/2012 4:04:29 PM(edited)
i already made the topic :/ but yeah i agree with u here. wada is the blame and doesnt understand what a true ff game is.
---
The one of overcomes the darkness. . The one who now sees things from a different perspective. the one who sees the world for what it really is.
#3Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2012 4:12:19 PM
ichigohollowX posted...
i already made the topic :/ but yeah i agree with u here. wada is the blame and doesnt understand what a true ff game is.

I think all the best parts of Versus XIII such as the depressing story and KH battle system are being scrapped and edited to be more like a traditional FF. This is terrible news!
---
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
#4ichigohollowXPosted 8/31/2012 4:17:14 PM
Galvanization posted...
ichigohollowX posted...

I think all the best parts of Versus XIII such as the depressing story and KH battle system are being scrapped and edited to be more like a traditional FF. This is terrible news!

I'm worried too. This was NOT the news I was expecting to here. Bad enough we got told to be patient and got only a head sketch, but comon now they're taking away what seperated this titles from the others
---
The one of overcomes the darkness. . The one who now sees things from a different perspective. the one who sees the world for what it really is.
#5Galvanization(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2012 4:24:53 PM(edited)
ichigohollowX posted...
I'm worried too. This was NOT the news I was expecting to here. Bad enough we got told to be patient and got only a head sketch, but comon now they're taking away what seperated this titles from the others

At this point, they may go ahead and change the name to FFXV as it will no longer have gameplay and story aspects that are distinct from mainline FF games.

FFXIV bombing has really screwed Nomura over. Now SQEX management are too paranoid about big-budget FF games and won't give him freedom to make FF Versus XIII like he originally intended. :-(
---
#6VanilleHopenPosted 8/31/2012 4:24:16 PM
final fantasy xii was amazing.. NO complaints here.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#7ClionaMcDerbyPosted 8/31/2012 4:24:18 PM
Doubt its gonna be turn based, it has to be a action rpg. Turn based gets old for my taste, but i dont hate it.
---
The prominent Irish lady of the FF Versus XIII Board Buy up your pad and pencil, I'll give you a piece of my mind
#8ClionaMcDerbyPosted 8/31/2012 4:27:03 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
final fantasy xii was amazing.. NO complaints here.

Finally someone who agrees, its fast n smooth, gameplay wise that is, only it was too automated with the gambit system.
---
The prominent Irish lady of the FF Versus XIII Board Buy up your pad and pencil, I'll give you a piece of my mind
#9Lelouch71Posted 8/31/2012 4:29:33 PM
It's staying an action rpg. Kitase was already hinting at future FF having action rpgs and that is the way things are going.
---
"The best in the world"
#10Panda-KunPosted 8/31/2012 4:32:53 PM
I think you're reading too much into it. By nostalgia, he probably meant Versus XIII is bringing back the airships, Chocobos and world map. This is what Nomura stated in the past as well.
---
The hottest girl alive..? That goes to Miss Hanzhou. I could watch that woman strut her stuff all day long. She is the epitome of very sexy.