I heard Versus XIII was originally supposed to be FF VII.

#1zombie_basher13Posted 11/26/2012 3:37:16 PM
I'm sorry but I have absolutely nothing to back this up except what I heard from some people on the Project Crystallis stream, so it may or may not be entirely accurate or even true. But if it is, supposedly Nomura or Nojima or both of them wanted the story and characters and maybe some other stuff about Versus be the basis of FF VII, but the technology at the time wasn't good enough or something and so they waited for the right time to develop the game, which is now I guess. Keep in mind, Nojima wrote for FF VII, so I dunno, maybe. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

If it's true, it's kind of ironic in a way.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#2Dark_Mage_XelinPosted 11/26/2012 4:13:00 PM
As far as I know I don't think anything like this has ever been said.
---
The Official Dragoon Chick of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
#3zombie_basher13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 4:18:31 PM
Dark_Mage_Xelin posted...
As far as I know I don't think anything like this has ever been said.

Yeah, I never heard it either, but two people on PC stream claimed this, as I said.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#4MagnaderAlphaPosted 11/26/2012 4:44:37 PM
I haven't heard anything like that. The only thing true that is similar is that the setting(more of a modern fantasy) was what FFVII initially had(both when Sakaguchi was planning his proposed idea with Detective Joe, as well as the early version of Nomura's story). They finally opted against that setting and to go somewhat cyberpunk-ish(even though the world of FFVII, as a whole, is hard to classify as simply being cyberpunk, as it's a collection of various eras).

Other than that, there are two accounts of other games being created around the same time that could've ended up as FFVII. Rumor has it Xenogears was Tetsuya Takahashi's pitch for FFVII(which is why they reference it in the game when Cloud suffers from Mako poisoning). Also, while might might've not been clearly FFVII, Sakaguchi(who WAS working on FFVII too) came up with the idea of The Last Story during that time, but felt it was too ambitious of an idea and decided to hold off on it.
#5SugarBoogersPosted 11/26/2012 5:13:52 PM
ahem
#6Lelouch71Posted 11/26/2012 9:23:53 PM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
I haven't heard anything like that. The only thing true that is similar is that the setting(more of a modern fantasy) was what FFVII initially had(both when Sakaguchi was planning his proposed idea with Detective Joe, as well as the early version of Nomura's story). They finally opted against that setting and to go somewhat cyberpunk-ish(even though the world of FFVII, as a whole, is hard to classify as simply being cyberpunk, as it's a collection of various eras).

Other than that, there are two accounts of other games being created around the same time that could've ended up as FFVII. Rumor has it Xenogears was Tetsuya Takahashi's pitch for FFVII(which is why they reference it in the game when Cloud suffers from Mako poisoning). Also, while might might've not been clearly FFVII, Sakaguchi(who WAS working on FFVII too) came up with the idea of The Last Story during that time, but felt it was too ambitious of an idea and decided to hold off on it.

Yes Xenogears was originally considered as a possible FFVII. However, the game was too dark for a FF but they thought it would still make a good game. Thus this is how Xenogears was born. It's a bit similar to FFXIII and Versus. Xenogears was essentially Takahashi's version of what he would had like FFVII to be.

I remember hearing that TLS took some inspiration for Sakaguchi original vision for FFIX. Of course TLS was also planned to be an post-apocalyptic story set many years in the future. The game was going to be even darker than what we got from TLS. I actually hope the next jrpg they make for the Wii U takes that setting.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#7ThirdAwakeningPosted 11/27/2012 8:14:02 PM
I've heard a rumor that Chrono Trigger was originally going to be FF7, but the uniqueness of the game with time travel and such was used as a new IP just in case it didn't work against the brand.
#8zombie_basher13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 11:46:54 PM
So it seems like a bunch of stuff competed for VII's spot. I wonder if other FFs are like this?
---
Look alive, you fools.
#9PainsPerceptionPosted 11/28/2012 9:30:50 AM
SugarBoogers posted...
ahem

*gives Heimlich maneuver*
---
but the only way to really learn is to get your ass beat a bunch. Such is Tekken, such is life. - Triguns Vash
Official SARDINE of ALL FF boards
#10StarBladeEdgePosted 11/28/2012 12:48:13 PM
you heard wrong
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22t-tiWiLw&feature=fvwrel Proud user of the korean sackflash move in ttt2 !