Why are there people that say that Final Fantasy games aren't anime inspired?

#1HakuMan111386Posted 12/5/2012 6:18:06 AM
I mean come on, seriously? Look at the official artwork for Cloud and tell me that's not anime inspired.
---
Name: ANTJF Brawl Friend Code: 3093-6768-2145
PSN: Scorpion1386
#2Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/5/2012 6:41:04 AM
Because a lot of different styles by different people have been used as the official artwork for characters?

I think it has anime-elements, but I certainly wouldn't call the series as a whole "anime-inspired"
#3kilaudePosted 12/5/2012 8:38:08 AM
Thing is, every time a japanese game developer draws a character for a videogame it will remind anime because it's just their style. Nothing to do about it.

Unless they try something different like Dark/Demon Souls.

Anyway I like it, regardless.
#4rikkuster26Posted 12/5/2012 10:05:52 AM
You're using the artwork for 1 character and 1 FF game to categorize an entire game series. I hardly think you can categorize an entire game series based on that.
---
The Official Prompto and Bazooka Lance of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board!
"Ho ho ho, I arrive!" - Quina, FFIX
#5DanahellPosted 12/5/2012 10:24:19 AM
They do have some anime inspirations here and there but it's not that much really, outside of character designs.

Now "Tales of...", that is really an anime inspired series.
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#6IshramTheWrathPosted 12/5/2012 1:01:46 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
I mean come on, seriously? Look at the official artwork for Cloud and tell me that's not anime inspired.

I think you mean "manga" inspired.
---
Toriyama Motomu is the Uwe Boll of video games.
#7ThirdAwakeningPosted 12/5/2012 2:47:01 PM
Or...you could look directly at Yoshitaka Amano's Work, and instead focus on WHAT HE DRAWS FROM...since you know...most of the characters are based off of his work.

Some of the characters are extensions of original characters he designed, such as Locke Cole <-> Zidane Tribal, Or Princess Sara, Maria <-> Terra Branford, Celes Chere, Garnet / Sara, etc.
#8grand_kaizerPosted 12/5/2012 10:32:13 PM
The word you're looking for is 'Japanese'. It's not just anime, that's their media style in general. Westerners favour gritty realism, sometimes to unnecessary extremes, and likewise they often favour bizarre and insane scenarios to the same extent, and the art styles reflect that. Sometimes.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#9MrRoxas9192Posted 12/6/2012 3:40:09 AM
The only FF game I've played that reminds me of anime is XIII. (Not because of the art though)
#10MagnaderAlphaPosted 12/6/2012 8:54:34 AM
Original FFs featured SD characters, and SD characters are often used in anime/manga.

That being said, I don't think it, at it's core, is the "hate of anime" inspiration more than it is the hate of a specific style of anime inspiration. Modern FFs seem to be more flashy and based off more modern shounen/shoujo anime. I think people who are critical of the anime/FF thing prefer more of the lesser "in your face" low key anime influences of the earlier games. It's kinda the difference you see in a LOT of long existing franchises. Phantasy Star, do you prefer the more modern PSO+ look, where everybody looks ultra stylish and like they are dressed in plastic clothing, or do you like pre-PSO look, which basically looks pretty simple, like the style of anime you'd see in Voltron, Robotech(Macross) and the original Gundam anime? Same for the Shining series. Do you prefer Tony Taka's modern art, or the more simplistic art of the earlier games?