Versus XIII Delayed for the PS4?

#11Rose_of_MayPosted 12/10/2012 8:24:53 AM
http://playstation4guide.com/2012/11/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-could-be-playstation-4-release/

A few noticeable things in this article make it sound like it was written to garner hits. First off Tetsuya Nomura did not direct Final Fantasy XIII. He was the character designer.

Second, FF Versus XIII has not been in "full on development for over 6 years." It didn't go into full production before 2011.

Third, this article cites that a recent Famitsu interview with Nomura raised questions about the game being moved to the PS4 yet they didn't quote a word of it to back up the claim?

Not buying it.
#12Seiko_NurashimaPosted 12/10/2012 9:34:49 AM
Rose_of_May posted...
Noctionus posted...
Or maybe it's just like FFXII. To be released at the end of PS3's lifecycle.

While both scenarios are possible, we have to remember that this isn't 2005. This is the HD era and Japanese developers have already shown that they need extra time creating ambitious games. If moving the game to newer, more developer friendly platform(s) is what it takes to get it done then why not?

Plus, good or bad, Kitase and company seems to want to make the PS3/360 era all about Lightning kind of like how the PSX era will be remembered for Cloud.

I think that the chances of Versus being shifted to next gen isn't far fetched at all. It'll likely be renamed to FFXV.

i'll say this a million times VS cant be FFXV unless you expect every game from XIII on to be based on Fabula Nova Crystallis since VS contains parts of the FNC mythos though we don't know how many besides Fal'cie existing in VS world and the picture of Etro when Noct and Stella meet but still I dont really think a company that wants to move forward can turn a title based off of their previous set of games into a main series game when it follows the same mythos
#13ExentrykPosted 12/10/2012 2:58:36 PM
Very bad article. I was going to pick it apart but a comment below the article already did.

This article is full of misinformation and vagueness.
1) What are these “new reports”? Who is this “insider”? You don’t link to anything, so it all kinda sounds like speculation on your part.

2) Nomura isn’t the director of XIII, he’s the director of Versus XIII.

3) “Some of it got lost in translation.” How do you know? Do you understand Japanese? Or did someone tell you this? Or did you just make it up?

4) The game was announced to only have entered full development back in September 2011. It hasn’t been six years, at least not technically. It was *announced* in 2006 and the story was concocted in late 2005, but the game itself only recently entered full development.

5) No gameplay footage for Versus XIII? Go check out the latest Versus XIII trailer from January 2011. Half of it is gameplay footage. Yes, really.

6) “However now we know that the game has yet to make it to prototype stages after all this time.” How do we know this? The answer: we don’t.

7) “However since the development seems to be non-existent at the moment for the highly anticipated title it’s not that far fetched to think the game will be a PlayStation 4 title.” That’s actually quite a leap in logic. Not saying you’re wrong and it can’t be true, but it’s all very speculative.

That out of the way, I HAVE wondered if the ambitious Versus is being limited by the PS3. Logically they'd want the game to come out on the PS3, where they have a well established user base.
But if the game itself cannot be developed on the PS3 without major compromises, Nomura might just move it to PS4.

Wada wouldn't want it though, and unless there are other factors like Sony paying them, etc., I don't see it happening.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#14ExentrykPosted 12/10/2012 3:04:53 PM
Seiko_Nurashima posted...
i'll say this a million times VS cant be FFXV unless you expect every game from XIII on to be based on Fabula Nova Crystallis since VS contains parts of the FNC mythos though we don't know how many besides Fal'cie existing in VS world and the picture of Etro when Noct and Stella meet but still I dont really think a company that wants to move forward can turn a title based off of their previous set of games into a main series game when it follows the same mythos

Type-0 differentiated itself, even when it shares the FNC mythos.

And Versus could easily change a few things like the Goddess's name (Etro), and the related jargon (Fal'Cie, L'Cie).
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#15PillsberyDoeManPosted 12/10/2012 3:14:16 PM
Exentryk posted...
I HAVE wondered if the ambitious Versus is being limited by the PS3. Logically they'd want the game to come out on the PS3, where they have a well established user base.
But if the game itself cannot be developed on the PS3 without major compromises, Nomura might just move it to PS4.

Wada wouldn't want it though, and unless there are other factors like Sony paying them, etc., I don't see it happening.

if v13 is too ambitious for the ps3 to handle, they need to dumb it down then.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii... -> EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
Zelda Timeline! - http://goo.gl/XFceA
#16ExtremeLightPosted 12/10/2012 5:03:27 PM
It seem.ever increasing likely that versus will come out on ps4. BUT the ps4 haven't been announced yet so the jury still out on that one.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, BO2 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. 2013. Lightning Return will be super awesome.
#17Arn544(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 5:30:11 PM
There is one major reason they could delay it to make it a PS4 launch title or something:

Sony owns 10% of Square-Enix, might not sound like a lot but I'm pretty sure their majority share holder only has 26% now. Yeah SE by itself would want a bigger user base, Sony however wants to sell PS4s and nothing would do that better than a quality FF being a launch title.

Also it becoming a PS4 title would explain the ridiculuous delay and lack of information from SE. Since sony does own part of SE they could give them dev kits and what not to develop for it long before other companies got them.

Anyway I hope it's true personally, yeah we've had to wait a while already but what's a little more time to play it on a better console?
#18ExtremeLightPosted 12/10/2012 5:48:08 PM
Arn544 posted...
There is one major reason they could delay it to make it a PS4 launch title or something:

Sony owns 10% of Square-Enix, might not sound like a lot but I'm pretty sure their majority share holder only has 26% now. Yeah SE by itself would want a bigger user base, Sony however wants to sell PS4s and nothing would do that better than a quality FF being a launch title.

Also it becoming a PS4 title would explain the ridiculuous delay and lack of information from SE. Since sony does own part of SE they could give them dev kits and what not to develop for it long before other companies got them.

Anyway I hope it's true personally, yeah we've had to wait a while already but what's a little more time to play it on a better console?

I actually said the last line. You see people fear the price of the ps4 might be too high. That's really it.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, BO2 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. 2013. Lightning Return will be super awesome.
#19CranberryTacoPosted 12/10/2012 6:25:46 PM
Anything is possible.

For now i have the speculation that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going to take the most out of the PS3's hardware. However.... Everyone knows Square Enix are bumming to stand out graphic wise. Boo hoooo..... Gameplay over graphics.

However, it is commonly known for the Versus endorsers.
---
Slick Musician / DJ / FF Versus Munchkin Making moves yeah on the dancefloor, got to groove on, baby yeah real hardcore.
#20matt091282Posted 12/11/2012 5:52:26 AM
I agree with the CranberryTaco. I have thought along, being that is part of the FNC mythology and the fact that I think this game is going to extend the PS3 to its limit, that this will still be a PS3 exclusive release. I see it as kind of a look into the future of what we can expect from next gen games as well as kind of being the "swan song" for the Final Fantasy franchise on the PS3.