The future of Final Fantasy,: Good, Bad, Depressing? Your thoughts.

#51zUkUuPosted 12/29/2012 2:59:34 PM
Lelouch71 posted...

Of course story and characters will always be subjective. But that's the beauty of FF. If you dislike one game then there's a chance the next game would be more to your liking.

that is very true. Sadly, they released 4 iterations in a row that I couldn't really love. CBA about MMOs (dunno why they are part of the numbered series to begin with - makes 0 sense) and 12 and 13 are not as great as they could have been for different reasons.

I'd die to see a classic and traditional Final Fantasy. I love prerendered backgrounds mixed with awesome architecture, in the current day of age, you could let it look incredible along with best character animations ever. An improved FF X style of round based combat on top along with a deep, diverse cast and a cool setting and brilliant story.

If I'll become ever a multi millionare, you can bet that I'll do two things:
-open a game developer and make brilliant RPGs (with me as supervisor)
-open a private dojo and learn how to perform a hadoken _
#52Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/29/2012 3:46:39 PM
If Ito is working on XV as rumored then I'm cautiously optimistic.

X was a middling entry for me
XI I loved but no longer play - it did make SE a ton of cash though
XII is in my top 3
XIII series - something that probably would have been a middling entry, except for the forced continued focus on it has made me dislike it even more. I'm ready to move on from these characters/this world/most of all Toriyama.
XIV is an obvious disaster and as much as I'd like to I probably won't be picking up the rerelease because I just don't have time to get into MMOs anymore.

So out of the last 5 entries I'd call 2 great, 1 good, 1 decent, 1 horrible.
#53TriangleHardPosted 12/29/2012 5:59:14 PM
I think the downfall started with XII.

If Square just left Matsuno alone to make a game he thought of, at least FFXII would've been saved.

Well I simply don't have faith in Square anymore to create anything coherent. I expect polished game that plays decently with pretty graphics, but that's all they've provided for way too long.

And when I heard how Matsuno couldn't use middle-aged man as main character and needed teenage pretty boy for it to be FF game, that's when I thought there's no hope for Square. They are aiming for target audience like Nintendo is doing, rather than creating quality experience.
#54zUkUuPosted 12/29/2012 6:07:19 PM(edited)
for which FF they wanted to use a middle aged man?

that's what I always blame about almost all JRPGs: the same use of main hero. always the same average, weak, typical teen hero.

In an interview with for a german TV show about FF13, the interviewer asked "why don't we see a bald / muscular / older (main) character?" and he said "we make the game for the japnese youth ALONE - so we always use a character they can identify with: Young, Average, slender, small etc"
then he went on in how Barrett was the last character that fits that description.

they don't even care about making a good character, or one that fits the whole world, they only care for the japanese market.
#55DanahellPosted 12/29/2012 6:08:38 PM
FFXII.

IIRC Basch was meant to be the MC but they wanted a young pretty guy, so Vaan was shoehorned in it
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#56zUkUuPosted 12/29/2012 6:11:36 PM(edited)
Danahell posted...
FFXII.

IIRC Basch was meant to be the MC but they wanted a young pretty guy, so Vaan was shoehorned in it

OMG then I'd probably like the game WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more. I thought multiple times about replaying the game, but Vaan always keeps me away from doing so. worst main character of all the FFs combined. - tho, lightning is close behind him.
#57TriangleHardPosted 12/29/2012 7:19:43 PM
Well good news is that Matsuno broke free from Square's dirty hands.

He is with Level 5 now.

Unfortuantely, Matsuno wants to tackle small projects so he can have full control. I hope he gets to tackle big projects with full control instead.
#58Lelouch71Posted 12/29/2012 8:20:47 PM
TriangleHard posted...

He is with Level 5 now.

Unfortuantely, Matsuno wants to tackle small projects so he can have full control. I hope he gets to tackle big projects with full control instead.

He just recently left Level 5. He's taking sometime off. Vaan being the MC (or rather the avatar) was mainly done for the Japanese fanbase. They love young pretty boys. That is also why most jrpg don't have the MC being any older than 21. There's nothing dirty about doing that. It's just business. I consider Balthier along with Ashe the MC of FFXII anyway. The game is much better if you look at it that way.

As for Itou (Galv mancrush) he could be working on FFXV. I really do think Agni Philosophy will turn out to be FFXV. But I kind of doubt he will have any influence on the story of it. He's a man who favors gameplay over story. The best you can hope for is whoever did the story for FFIX joining in on AP.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#59MrRoxas9192Posted 12/29/2012 9:17:11 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
I don't quite get what you are trying to say? You want to FF to stop focusing on graphics when each new main game in the series are among the best looking game of their time? Square always been about graphics since day 1. Believe it or not FFVII used to be one of the best looking 1997 game for its time (even though it's laughable now). FFXIII is just the black sheep when it comes to the others when it comes to content. FFXII had plenty of stuff to do. FFXIII-2 (and most likely LR will too) have more stuff to do due to the backlash of FFXIII. I'm quite confident Versus will have other stuff besides pretty graphics if the KH games are any indication.

Of course story and characters will always be subjective. But that's the beauty of FF. If you dislike one game then there's a chance the next game would be more to your liking.

I just think they shouldn't focus too much on it. I mean, pretty graphics are nice, but if that is the only thing a game has, then the game will still end up mediocre.
I'm only talking about this gen's FFs btw (that is, the XIII "mini-series") and what I think they should focus on more is story and character development. But like you said, it's subjective so... meh.
#60TriangleHardPosted 12/30/2012 12:49:08 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
TriangleHard posted...

He is with Level 5 now.

He just recently left Level 5. He's taking sometime off. Vaan being the MC (or rather the avatar) was mainly done for the Japanese fanbase. They love young pretty boys. That is also why most jrpg don't have the MC being any older than 21. There's nothing dirty about doing that. It's just business. I consider Balthier along with Ashe the MC of FFXII anyway. The game is much better if you look at it that way.

As for Itou (Galv mancrush) he could be working on FFXV. I really do think Agni Philosophy will turn out to be FFXV. But I kind of doubt he will have any influence on the story of it. He's a man who favors gameplay over story. The best you can hope for is whoever did the story for FFIX joining in on AP.

Damn that's a shame that Matsuno left Level 5. Personally I thought it was match made in heaven because Level 5 is great at everything but the story and pacing. Matsuno could've filled that weakness since he is a master at those aspect.

Vaan being the MC is not the only thing ruined FFXII, whenever I play FFXII, I see plenty of Matsuno's touch, but not his finishing touch. Matsuno's work might have many fantasy elements, but he always grounded his reasoning and problem solving based on logic, not just some great powerful magic. FFXII with collecting crystals, Matsuno already did similar thing before in FFT, and in that game they didn't collect the crystals for powerful magic. Initially they aimed after the artifacts for the symbol, to gather the support of the people, it's just that it also had unexpected side of things. That kind of fine touches are needed in order for the world to make more sense, and makes the story progression feel more smoother. FFXII lacks such thing.

Unfortunately, Square thinks that isn't interesting in young people's mind. To Square, "wow magic!" works better than any kind of political motivation for young gamers, so FFXII ended up being just chasing after these crystals all over the place. All that set up for rebels gathering, uncovering dark conspiracy that disgraced honorable knight, diplomacy to gain allies and army, the use of propaganda to turn people around to fight against the oppression, and small nation taking back it's independence through will of the people, and fighting powerful nation... completely disappeared in actual plot of the game, and only the shell of it remained.

I'm just not happy with FFXII's plot. I still love the game, but because I can see what Matsuno was going for. I can see how he has set up the plot, and I can see how it was ruined. So no, just looking at Ashe or Basch as main character is not good enough for me. Perhaps I'm looking too deep at the game, but being fan of Yasumi Matsuno, I felt the game kept taking odd turns when things got interesting. Something felt off, and that persisted until I finished the game. It felt like the game was meant to be made as something similar to Suikoden series, but ended up turning into something like the recent movie Hobbit.

Anyway, bleh. I have no faith in Square. Good thing is at least they don't interfere with companies they own outside of Japan or Enix side. Currently, Tomb Raider is the game I look forward to most from Square.