Just had a thought about FFXIII and Versus XIII...

#1Destroyer_MagePosted 1/2/2013 12:24:00 AM
In FFXIII when your leader died it was an automatic game over and players were furious or to a lesser extent pissed off.In Versus XIII its already been stated (by Nomura) that when Noctis dies its an automatic game over yet everyone is so excited about this game (I know I am too) and I haven't heard a negative thing about this detail that's more or less the same as XIII.What's up with that guys?Do we have double standards when it comes to Versus XIII that it can get away with things that other FF's (especially XIII series) would be castrated if they were to ommit.IMHO I feel Versus is being overhyped by the fanbase to the point where dissapointment is inevitable.What do you guys think?
---
Because I could not stop for death,it kindly stopped for me.
Currently playing Sleeping Dogs.Sleeping Dogs is a true gem and more people should play it :)
#2PillsberyDoeManPosted 1/2/2013 12:39:17 AM
Destroyer_Mage posted...
In FFXIII when your leader died it was an automatic game over and players were furious or to a lesser extent pissed off.In Versus XIII its already been stated (by Nomura) that when Noctis dies its an automatic game over yet everyone is so excited about this game (I know I am too) and I haven't heard a negative thing about this detail that's more or less the same as XIII.What's up with that guys?Do we have double standards when it comes to Versus XIII that it can get away with things that other FF's (especially XIII series) would be castrated if they were to ommit.IMHO I feel Versus is being overhyped by the fanbase to the point where dissapointment is inevitable.What do you guys think?

clearly, we haven't met.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii... -> EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
Zelda Timeline! - http://goo.gl/XFceA
#3Destroyer_Mage(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 12:42:04 AM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
Destroyer_Mage posted...

clearly, we haven't met.

Yeah,I guess we haven't.So you're saying there has been complaints in this regard?
---
Currently playing Sleeping Dogs.Sleeping Dogs is a true gem and more people should play it :)
#4Josh_the_WhitePosted 1/2/2013 2:30:27 AM
Destroyer_Mage posted...

I think it's kind of silly that when Noctis dies that it's an automatic game over, but I'm willing to deal with it just like I did with XIII. But then again, I wasn't one of the people that was furious or pissed off by the concept in XIII either. It was a questionable design decision, but not rage inducing for me.
---
On a mission to beat every Legend of Zelda game (excluding the crappy "non-existent" Phillips CD-i games).
Started: 12/19/2011
#5zUkUuPosted 1/2/2013 7:34:50 AM
the game resolves around one character, and you have full control over him. in FF 13 you basically control 3 characters at the same time without having influence over either of them really. you just assign jobs primarily.

Versus is like Kingdom Hearts, where it also makes sense. so I don't see a reason why this should play a role HERE, where in FF13 it made just no sense.
#6Graham_ChapmanPosted 1/2/2013 7:41:46 AM
Well, in my case it's rather a question of "why"... Why did it result in a game over when the leader of the team died in XIII? Why couldn't the other characters just revive their fallen comrade? These questions remain unanswered (unless you count "it's a gameplay mechanic" or "to increase the difficulty" as acceptable answers) and the problem remain unjustified.
As for vsXIII, however; it has already been stated that Noctis (by virtue of having a crystal) is the only reason his comrades are able to use magic; if he died they would lose that ability and probably also be as weak and squishy as the enemies we see Noctis & c/o cut down in droves in the 2011 trailer... I know I'll still probably get annoyed at the gameplay mechanic during the course of the game, but it is at least justified now.
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SIX YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#7WinterglaivePosted 1/2/2013 8:45:45 AM
Waiiiiiit a second.

I didn't know this. That's, uh, BS. And also doesn't make sense. I thought we could play as other characters? So, if we're maining another character, and *Noctis* gets KO'd, game over?
#8Destroyer_Mage(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 8:52:25 AM
Winterglaive posted...
Waiiiiiit a second.

I didn't know this. That's, uh, BS. And also doesn't make sense. I thought we could play as other characters? So, if we're maining another character, and *Noctis* gets KO'd, game over?

Yes, Nomura said that you can use any other character but Noctis has to be in your party and if he dies its game over.
---
#9Ren_ekoPosted 1/2/2013 9:26:55 AM
It's also a matter of different genres, in XIII your leader could die because of a bad "dice roll" in an ARPG you're always in control of your character so it feels less cheap, I remember people disliking the dead leader=game over in P3 and SMT Nocturne(Which also had a story reason) too and those are cult favourites, there have already been complaints about this in Versus too, I personally don't mind, you'll spend the majority of the game playing as Noctis since the core combat concept (weapon switching/combos) is about him and character swapping is instant so if you see him losing hp you can instantly switch to him, even in XIII it wasn't that bad since you could always keep the leader buffed/healed, Nocturne was a pain though, random Mudo spell hits, you die and have to restart from the last save point.
#10adnancool13Posted 1/2/2013 10:09:49 AM
Well... Noctis is the one who controls the "crystals". And these Crystals allow Ignis, Gladiolus and Prompto to use the Crystal's powers. So it would make kinda sense if the one who controls the crystals falls which will leave the rest who relied on those crystals pretty much ****ed.
---
The Official Chauffeur of the Versus XIII Board