For me, XIII and XIII-2 were great games.

#21PillsberyDoeManPosted 1/2/2013 11:41:35 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
versus is an action rpg.. i haven''t seen anything to indicate it will be anything like the older final fantasies.. If anything it might move a step even further away from them.. .

omg, don't get picky with me. from the beginning, v13 was stated to bring that "old ff experience" to the next level. it being an action rpg hardly holds any weight.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii... -> EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
Zelda Timeline! - http://goo.gl/XFceA
#22Ren_ekoPosted 1/3/2013 6:13:24 AM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
VanilleHopen posted...
versus is an action rpg.. i haven''t seen anything to indicate it will be anything like the older final fantasies.. If anything it might move a step even further away from them.. .

omg, don't get picky with me. from the beginning, v13 was stated to bring that "old ff experience" to the next level. it being an action rpg hardly holds any weight.

Versus is like a dichotomy, a mix of old ff staples like the map, airships, vehicles, etc... and a bunch of core concepts alien to FF, ARPG battle system, darker story, reality inspired fantasy settings, it's something that at it's core wouldn't fit as a mainline FF but still has a lot of traditional elements.

I feel that even the world of Versus is kind of like that, with the juxtaposition of Noctis living in a very modern looking city that has a ban on firearms and other countries being less advanced but putting all they have into weapon and war research as opposed to culture, the image of the king dressed in a stylish modern suit with sigils, crystals and a floating sword around him versus the old guy in a fantasy priest garb holding a handgun is the perfect encapsulation.
#23ExtremeLight(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 11:08:52 AM
VanilleHopen posted...

Dude like Versus = all other FF games combine with modren era of gaming.
Notes:
-Controllable airships
-Combine VII and KH Battle systems.
-Open world-ness and plot similar to XII.
-Same mythos to XIII universe.
-Uses any weapons (with Noctis).
-They said they wanted to bring back the whole "old FF" feel and combine it with a sort of modern vibe.

As for "real fans" would say something wrong about a game:
I loved 13. But it's have it flaws. But these are for me, minor flaws. The flaws I hear are based purely on opinions like story, linearity and characters. The legit one is battle system but that can resolved and it's nothing really to hate.
As for 13-2 there are more legit reasons to hate the game. Like Graphics seem tone down from 13. And the story is paradoxical and nonsense. But difficulty and gameplay are based on opinions.

As to why I think people hate these games, I think that they compare them with other FF and sort of went "no! no! This game is horrible compared to FF__." I can't get how a simple story and finale of 13 could bring about a hellstorm of controversial opinions.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#24MagnaderAlphaPosted 1/3/2013 11:33:43 AM
Versus is seemingly going to approach multiple era settings in one game. We know for a fact that the main kingdoms(Noctis's, Stella's) who have(or had) crystals are the most progressive as far as culture is concerned. They are the ones that look modern(cities with sky scrapers, cars, highways and such). Nomura said the other nations who are dubbed "the barbarians" are not as culturally progressive, and exist in a state of medievalism, sacrificing cultural progression for weapon progression(basically, instead of finding ways to improve their society, they decided to improve their weapons as a first priority, meaning that's why there are knights with guns and tanks). So, as far as settings are concerned, it looks like it's going to pull from both popular FF settings(classic medieval and modern sci-fi).

Though the main thing I'm interested is, regarding this versus(hah) the FFXIII series is that Nojima's writing the story(who's proved, IMO, to be more competent a writer than Toriyama is). There also seems to be some sort of "more control" over your characters as they show you manually aiming with Prompto to take out a wyvern(which the lack of control over characters, in the FFXIII games, was a big miss for me). Also, I've been very outspoken to how much I don't care for Hamauzu's work. Shimomura, IMO, is much more fitting as FF composer(as is Mizuta, though he did some great things in FFXIII-2, and expect him to do more great things for LR).

That, added with promise of a return to form(free exploration on a life-scale world map, airships and vehicles, classic summons and monsters returning) as well as a KH-esque battle system(which is probably the BEST aspect of the KH games aside for Shimomura's work), it's just much more exciting a venture than FFXIII. I do admit, i was really excited for FFXIII before it was released. I loved the look of the characters(still do), the high tech world and cool looking battle system, but after playing it, that was initially important to my final decision that, maybe, I chose a dud. Of course, I generally feel the same regarding FFVIII(though, to be fair, my hatred for Rinoa and supporting characters acting as "props" to rise Squall and Rinoa up into the spotlight was my main concern).