If FFXV gets announced at E3 2013, will people lose interest in Versus XIII?

#11TruthPosted 1/20/2013 4:08:03 PM
This is an important question, as the same thing happened back in E3 2006. FFXII was not even released in NA/EU but Squenix still announced FFXIII with a trailer that showed in-game graphics and even battle system gameplay. I visited various forums in the weeks after and there were a lot of people that were no longer hyped for FFXII, despite it launching later in the year.

They were saying things like:

-- "FFXIII looks amazing! I can't believe those graphics are real-time on PS3! It looks much better than FFXII and is also being made by the FFVII/FFVIII/FFX team! Man, forget FFXII. A PS3 and this game is now what I'm saving up for."

-- "FFXIII has the best battle system in the series. The animations are amazing and fluid and you can slow down time and make enemies hit the environments. I thought FFXII looked good but this blows it out of the water. I'm skipping FFXII and getting a PS3 for this game."

-- "I was gonna buy FFXII, but seeing as they're already making FFXIII and it looks like a playable FFVII Advent Children, I'll just buy a PS3 and wait for FFXIII to release."

As you can see, FFXIII took away some of FFXII's sales due to being announced before FFXII was released. Will the same happen with Versus XIII and FFXV?
#2Wise_PotatoPosted 1/20/2013 4:11:52 PM
I don't think they will do it BEFORE announcing Versus's release date and a new trailer, but if they announce FFXV AND ignore Versus, yeah people will lose interest in Versus.

But if they announce them both, with FFXV being on next gen (it will undoubtedly be next gen) then i don't think people will lose interest in Versus.
---
I'm half serious most of the time.
Formerly known as HeartKey_XIII
#3heartlesshero17Posted 1/20/2013 4:14:05 PM
Probably
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#4Panda_KunPosted 1/20/2013 4:25:26 PM
That's a huge if.
---
--F*** the JRPG Cliche Hate. I felt like a badass saving the whole f***** world for the first time, I still feel badass doing it for the hundredth time."
#5kenff6Posted 1/20/2013 4:37:42 PM
Panda_Kun posted...
That's a huge if.

what, no panda-related remark?
#6Panda_KunPosted 1/20/2013 4:42:11 PM
kenff6 posted...
Panda_Kun posted...
That's a huge if.

what, no panda-related remark?

Hmm. What irks you, my mammal cousin?
---
--F*** the JRPG Cliche Hate. I felt like a badass saving the whole f***** world for the first time, I still feel badass doing it for the hundredth time."
#7gamewarrior88Posted 1/20/2013 6:22:03 PM
There's still interest? Seems that as more years go by...more and more people forget that this game even exists. Heck, that happens to me from time to time. At this rate, they might as well move on and announce the next main installment...although for their sake, I would think they'd want to hold up on that until they have something actually to showcase...don't want another vaporware moment after all.
---
-----------------------------------------------
In this world, there was only one way...the Valmanway. But now, there is a better way...the Valmanway +1.
#8PostDisasterPosted 1/20/2013 6:41:50 PM
I feel only a handful (Really loud and vocal) fans still are aware this game...exists? Is exist the right word? Is...being thought of? Thats...better.

But yeah, all my casual RPG fans are like "Wasn't that canceled?" every time I bring it up.

So...yes. Casuals are already lost on Versus so if 15 is announced (highly unlikely this year) than Versus will suffer
#9zUkUuPosted 1/20/2013 6:43:52 PM
Many people know of versus and its situation, but those are just not as concerned about it and think of it all the time - that doesn't mean "versus" rings a bell for them. it also has some news every now and then or is mentioned somewhere.
#10PostDisasterPosted 1/20/2013 6:46:52 PM
From what I gather it does indeed ring a bell, you are correct. That "bell" however is "canceled"