Top 10 List FF, and Linearity

#11GuitaristMatt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:53:58 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
GuitaristMatt posted...
For Kingdom Hearts I was thinking more along the lines of an overworld map with like an airship taking you from town to town while keeping exploration to a minimum.

Wait. What do you mean keeping exploration to a minimum?

It would be just like KH while the gummi ship is an airship instead and the [world map] is like type-0
---
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's Undeniable."
Self Proclaimed Matt of your board
#12shadowSEXilPosted 1/28/2013 9:07:57 AM
The story can be as linear as it wants, though little optional side stories like in Crisis Core would be nice. That game gives people incentives to explore the world some by challenging the player (may not return to a certain area, certain items may disappear if you don't complete certain tasks, talking to everyone fills in the story more). It was an excellent PSP game in those aspects.
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.
#13GuitaristMatt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 12:48:49 PM
I always liked the % complete meter that they included in PS2 games. Now they just have achievements for games.
---
#14shadowSEXilPosted 1/28/2013 1:07:10 PM
GuitaristMatt posted...
The list is over all completely bogus and I believe technically it is written backwards, but it brought up a point about how linear Final Fantasy XIII was.

Overall is the word you are looking for.

Remove completely from this sentence. Overall and completely are basically the same words, so you are adding redundancy to your sentence.

Finish your sentence after bogus. For starters, you didn't use a comma-coordinating conjunction combo or semicolon to separate two independent clauses. Secondly, you do not want three independent clauses within the same sentence.

Wow, I didn't even have to get out of your second sentence to find multiple grammar mistakes.
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.
#15SoaringDivePosted 1/28/2013 6:47:50 PM
Give me too much freedom and I'll be bored out of my mind from the lack of direction and focus.

I think Dark Souls hit the spot. Just, as long as it's not so open it's as dull and distant as Skyrim.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#16GuitaristMatt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:50:14 PM
Bump because they reused the top 10 list
---
#17reno385Posted 2/4/2013 12:49:20 PM
In terms of FF, I think XII was pretty much the perfect balance of exploration and structure. A lot of sidequests and hidden areas, but not too much. You always knew where you had to go to advance the story but you didn't quite feel like you were being guided there. I'd love for Versus to be similar to XII.
#18zUkUuPosted 2/4/2013 2:02:42 PM
god please no. XII was a mess without a guide overall. I want my worldmap!
#19MagnaderAlphaPosted 2/5/2013 4:34:32 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Give me too much freedom and I'll be bored out of my mind from the lack of direction and focus.

I think Dark Souls hit the spot. Just, as long as it's not so open it's as dull and distant as Skyrim.
It really depends on what you mean "give me too much freedom". There could be a lot of freedom as well as a tight linear story. It's up to you how you want to play the game. Are you easily tempted to deviate from the story and explore or will you keep close to progressing the story and save side-quests for a later playthrough? THAT is how RPGs should be, IMO. They should cater to those who want freedom as well as those who want linear stories. There should be not "this" or "that", but BOTH.
#20GuitaristMatt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:10:16 PM
^^ I had a friend that got to level 50 on Skyrim before he killed his first dragon.
---