Do people understand what install base means?

#1istuffedsunnyPosted 2/12/2013 10:18:25 PM
Let's see... is Square going to release this ultra high budget game on a console with tens of millions of potential customers, or a console that will one have a few million at best? People tend to forget we're not in the days of the PS1 or even PS2 anymore. Most devs can't even afford to be exclusive anymore.

A cross generation release of Versus 13 could be possible though, depending on how well the game engine can handle that sort of thing. People are saying this is what Kojima's doing with MGS5 (aka Ground Zeroes)
---
I have a radio in my car.
#2grand_kaizerPosted 2/12/2013 11:01:34 PM
istuffedsunny posted...
Let's see... is Square going to release this ultra high budget game on a console with tens of millions of potential customers, or a console that will one have a few million at best? People tend to forget we're not in the days of the PS1 or even PS2 anymore. Most devs can't even afford to be exclusive anymore.

A cross generation release of Versus 13 could be possible though, depending on how well the game engine can handle that sort of thing. People are saying this is what Kojima's doing with MGS5 (aka Ground Zeroes)

Ground Zeroes is not MGS5, Kojima has even gone so far as to outright say that, calling it a prologue to MGS5. If anything is MGS5, it's The Phantom Pain.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#3gangster4lifeyoPosted 2/13/2013 4:55:18 AM
Why should anyone release anything on PS4 for the first few years then? Why wouldn't a company just release stuff for the older consoles since they have larger user bases?
#4DoctorCrabMDPosted 2/13/2013 5:05:08 AM
I love it when people act like they have business degrees and drop terms like "user base" and stuff.

The number of people who have a console is obviously important, but there's also something to be said for the marketing that comes with exclusive titles for new and exciting hardware.

Plus, Square has already put FF games on dead consoles (FF9 / 12) and those didn't sell particularly well - at least at the time. Why not try something new this time and see if it works out better?
#5NoctionusPosted 2/13/2013 7:33:23 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...
I love it when people act like they have business degrees and drop terms like "user base" and stuff.

The number of people who have a console is obviously important, but there's also something to be said for the marketing that comes with exclusive titles for new and exciting hardware.

Plus, Square has already put FF games on dead consoles (FF9 / 12) and those didn't sell particularly well - at least at the time. Why not try something new this time and see if it works out better?

Yeah. 1.7 million for a FF title like FFXII and 1.9 million for FFIX in 1st week in Japan were bad. The should try something new like develop another MMO Dragon Quest because Japan love it and SE says that DQX sales above expectations. I would buy another All The Bravest if they keeps the DLC tactic and ignores bad reviews from media.
---
http://i.imgur.com/CxdWY.gif