Civil Discussion on a Potential Fan Translation of Japanese-Only Versus XIII

#1peonusPosted 2/13/2013 2:19:35 AM
If Versus XIII was released in Japan only with zero plans from Square to localize the game, what are the arguments for or against this?

I have my own opinions formed on the matter but I'd like to hear anyone's perspective regarding such a hypothetical issue.

For interest, this is based off the ongoing controversy with the FF Type-0 localization and how a group of fans are translating the game into English subtitles.

Please, keep the conversation civil you illiterate philistines.
#2Cyber_Boy94Posted 2/13/2013 2:35:31 AM
If the game is release in Japan only, I don't see why SE would do that. I'd love to see a fan translation so I could play it myself, but I'd never be able to join a project like that due to not knowing Japanese.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94, Youtube = http://www.youtube.com/user/SyberBoy94?feature=mhee
The Official Keyblade Master of the FF Versus XIII Board
#3peonus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 2:45:40 AM
That's a good point, Cyber.
#4gangster4lifeyoPosted 2/13/2013 4:52:44 AM
I don't like being called a Philistine.
#5Eddie___DeanPosted 2/13/2013 8:27:54 AM
I have no problems whatsoever with fan translations. If the publishers aren't willing to release a game in our territory I say its up to the fans to take up the reigns and do the job if they are so inclined.

Hell, its the only reason I got to play the amazing Mother 3 and it may be the only way I'll get to really experience Type-0.
#6iambashoPosted 2/13/2013 10:16:27 AM
I greatly approved of the Type-0 translation movement when the goal was to make a full translation guide, but now that it's going for a patch I no longer support it in any way. I would feel the same way about Versus; so long as the code of the game (SE's property) is left alone I would approve of and possibly support it, but if someone starts trying to edit the game's code then I can't agree to it.
---
The world you see with your eyes may well differ completely from the one I see with mine. There are as many worlds as there are observers-Doreen, Chrono Trigger
#7robinator-Posted 2/13/2013 12:06:29 PM
iambasho posted...
I greatly approved of the Type-0 translation movement when the goal was to make a full translation guide, but now that it's going for a patch I no longer support it in any way. I would feel the same way about Versus; so long as the code of the game (SE's property) is left alone I would approve of and possibly support it, but if someone starts trying to edit the game's code then I can't agree to it.

Why not? Just curious.
---
Official Hypello of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII board ~ ride ze shoopuff?
Official General of The Resistance Group on the ***-board PM me if u want to join
#8iambashoPosted 2/13/2013 2:01:37 PM
You don't screw with someone else's hard work without their permission. That is disrespectful and by my standards unethical. In addition, translated rom and ISO patches greatly encourage piracy (not directly, but you know just as well as I do that it's true) and piracy issues are the biggest reasons why so many handheld titles didn't get localized last gen, and the only reason it hasn't affected console titles as much is that people just haven't figured out how to fully exploit them yet.
---
The world you see with your eyes may well differ completely from the one I see with mine. There are as many worlds as there are observers-Doreen, Chrono Trigger
#9zUkUuPosted 2/13/2013 2:22:45 PM
iambasho posted...
You don't screw with someone else's hard work without their permission. That is disrespectful and by my standards unethical. In addition, translated rom and ISO patches greatly encourage piracy (not directly, but you know just as well as I do that it's true) and piracy issues are the biggest reasons why so many handheld titles didn't get localized last gen, and the only reason it hasn't affected console titles as much is that people just haven't figured out how to fully exploit them yet.

I can screw with their hard work as much as I want if it's for a non-profit purpose. Don't be ridiculous. If I buy a movie and do a FMV out of it for my own private leisure, why is that unethical out of the sudden?

If square is too lazy to release the game in english, screw them. It's as simple as that. They even still get the money since you buy the game (and for a way higher price).

Is there a Zype-0 fan location in the works btw?
#10Holy_Cloud105Posted 2/13/2013 3:10:53 PM
It will take a long time, and you have to keep updating it to match the new firmware that's on the console if you want people to use the disc and not pirate it. The PS3 Tales of Vesperia fan-translation has been going on for years and they have to try to make it work with the current firmware since they started working on it with 3.whatever.
---
"Thunder is in the heavens, lightning illuminates the fields!"
"The sun rises, and the shadows take flight!"