This better be the game of the century

#11joegt123Posted 2/16/2013 3:23:18 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
jmichaelbp posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
joegt123 posted...
Just watched the gameplay trailer for the first time (3.5/6 minutes of cutscene... some ****in gameplay, huh?) and it looks seriously mediocre.... It literally left no impression on me whatsoever beyond "slow moving kingdom hearts that's actually not aimed at kids". That's it. Considering that it was obviously early game footage (early IN the game, that is) I'm hoping that it'd pick up at some point and sasuke mcsora would actually get his soldier lookin ass moving. But unless they release something positively epic looking, there's no way in hell I'm paying full price for this thing. Let alone preordering.

Not to mention... why the hell make it exclusive NOW? Just stupid.

Well yeah it was pre-pre-pre alpha footage of an early point in the game that was slowed down on purpose, so the gameplay in that trailer looking pretty mediocre is to be expected.

What if they did the same thing Gearbox did with Aliens? Which was make the graphics look much worse and make the gameplay worse in the final build.

They said that the trailer shown in January 2011 was using a very old build and it was purposely slowed down, and then we got news in September of 2011 that the game just began full development, so that is highly unlikely.

I'm talking about the one that came out in july or august. At least the youtube videos were out around then.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#12jmichaelbpPosted 2/16/2013 3:23:55 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
jmichaelbp posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
joegt123 posted...
Just watched the gameplay trailer for the first time (3.5/6 minutes of cutscene... some ****in gameplay, huh?) and it looks seriously mediocre.... It literally left no impression on me whatsoever beyond "slow moving kingdom hearts that's actually not aimed at kids". That's it. Considering that it was obviously early game footage (early IN the game, that is) I'm hoping that it'd pick up at some point and sasuke mcsora would actually get his soldier lookin ass moving. But unless they release something positively epic looking, there's no way in hell I'm paying full price for this thing. Let alone preordering.

Well yeah it was pre-pre-pre alpha footage of an early point in the game that was slowed down on purpose, so the gameplay in that trailer looking pretty mediocre is to be expected.

What if they did the same thing Gearbox did with Aliens? Which was make the graphics look much worse and make the gameplay worse in the final build.

They said that the trailer shown in January 2011 was using a very old build and it was purposely slowed down, and then we got news in September of 2011 that the game just began full development, so that is highly unlikely.

The 2011 trailer of Aliens was an early build and it had better textures, lighting effects, animations and enemy AI than the final 2013 build.
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#13theofficefan99Posted 2/16/2013 4:03:27 PM
jmichaelbp posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
jmichaelbp posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
joegt123 posted...

The 2011 trailer of Aliens was an early build and it had better textures, lighting effects, animations and enemy AI than the final 2013 build.

As I said...

1. Old build, stated that the new build looks much better
2. Was purposely slowed down
3. Game began full development many months later

There is no way the final game will look worse than the January 2011 footage. I think you're just paranoid from the Aliens fiasco.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#14theofficefan99Posted 2/16/2013 4:04:20 PM
joegt123 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
jmichaelbp posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
joegt123 posted...

I'm talking about the one that came out in july or august. At least the youtube videos were out around then.

No, check again, it was January 2011.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#15joegt123Posted 2/16/2013 4:19:42 PM
...Don't know where the hell I got mixed up. Nevermind.

A FRACTION MORE HOPE THAN I HAD BEFORE!

Fraction.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#16Graham_ChapmanPosted 2/17/2013 11:11:27 AM
jmichaelbp posted...
DNF was in development for 15 years.
Was it the game of the century?

It was not the game of the century, but then again, it was also an entirely different case than FFvsXIII. For those of you who don't remember, (or have suppressed those memories,) DNF's development looked something like this:
1996: Development starts on a 2d side-scrolling DN game.
1997: All work so far is scrapped, pre-production for a 3d DN game begins on the Quake II engine.
1998: Early trailer is released, a few months later the game engine is changed to the Unreal Engine instead.
1999: The engine is changed to a newer version of the Unreal Engine.
2001: A gameplay trailer is released.
2002: Development is halted, most of the prior work is scrapped, staff quit, 3D Realms hires new programmers and announces that they're going to switch to a custom made engine they're going to develop all on their own.
2004: 3D Realms (might've) moved on to the Quake III engine (info is kinda fuzzy, but there WAS a physics engine change).
2007: A DNF teaser is released, 3D Realms says that the game is being developed on a heavily modified Unreal Engine.
2008: New gameplay trailer and screenshots are released, the developers announce that they've been playing a lot of WoW lately.
2009: A LOT OF CRAP HAPPENS, 3D Realms is ultimately shut down.
2010: Some ex-employees band together, form a new studio and makes a daring attempt to finish the game.
2011: The game is finished and released... it should've remained vaporware forever.
See, as far as I can tell, DNF's entire development was, well, a development hell... While we don't know very much about FFvsXIII's development we DO know that it hasn't gone through engine changes and that the same team that started development is the team working on it right now.

tl;dr: While a game that has been in development for a long, long time can turn out poorly, just like any other game, you cannot really compare DNF to vsXIII without first knowing what's been going on with vsXIII's development... Me, I just hope SE won't go 3d Realm's way before vsXIII is released...
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SEVEN YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#17ZukentsPosted 2/17/2013 12:43:29 PM
hope so
---
Your not worthy of death by my hand http://youtu.be/y0Ukdul5te0
#18marko7Posted 2/17/2013 6:23:30 PM
It won't be coming out this century duuhh.
---
Ruler of the FF Agito XIII Boards 2011-2012
The Official Creator of the Noctis Orgy on the FF Versus XIII Boards
#19ZXR_ReignSlayerPosted 2/18/2013 12:35:23 AM
It won't be. Long development cycles never bode well for the quality of a game, and I'm not just talking about Duke Nukem.

Game will be an 8 at best and if we're lucky.

My money is on it being mediocre, but as stated many times I pretty much gotta own it on principle, and if it sucks only then can I turn my back on this series once and for all with the PoS XIII and XIII-2 were.
---
Everyone thinks they are special and the exception to the rule...everyone...and they are all wrong -RonD70
#20shadowSEXilPosted 2/18/2013 12:41:57 AM
It is a misconception that the 6:47 January 2011 gameplay trailer was slowed down.

The trailer which was slowed down was this one:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/x6ijld/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-tgs-10--japanese-fabula-nova-crystallis-trailer
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.