So... Why all the hate for Kingdom Hearts?

#31Ecclesiastes273Posted 2/19/2013 5:49:46 PM(edited)
First game was a juggernaut title full of charm, nostalgia, and simple yet rewarding gameplay. It was rough and simple, but it was Disney x Final Fantasy, it pulled that off better than it had any right to.

KH2 reminded me a bit of the first one, and had some intense gameplay, but the plot was a bunch of stereotypical convoluted JRPG garbage, but MORESO. The gameplay itself was easy at the hardest of times, but at least the core was solid, and allowed for a lot of player-enforced tweaking. At its base, it was a fun game, and its failings are only so reviled because it made so many overwrought and ambitious plays.

Chain of Memories. Fun gameplay, lots of customization potential, but holy hell was the "plot" 95 recap/filler, half the tracks were 5 or 15 second loops, and most of the rest of the tracks were just loops that didn't straight up STOP and RESTART. Riku mode was lulz in the worst way. The ending was nice, maybe even pretty good, but KH2 did an amazing job of pretending this game didn't happen. Riku being angsty in KH2 actively defies his development here. Bah.

Birth by Sleep. Great gameplay, data install is a godsend, and customization was never better. Plot still sucks, though, but not too much.

Overall, even the worst of those games were still fun and entertaining. KH1 was a bit of magic, and I'm not sure I want to see SE attempt to recreate it, given their more recent offerings. They're decently good games, and not so egregiously flawed or controversial as some other SE games.

joegt123 posted...
peonus posted...
Kingdom Hearts was good
Game was intuitive but
Just press X all day

.........you did nothing but Jump all day...?

You may be confusing KH controls with Mario controls.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#32CokaineCowboy77Posted 2/20/2013 2:00:08 AM
Thamauturge posted...
lol at anyone who doesn't like KH being interested in this game

How is that funny?

I don't like KH because it's for kids, I want this gane because it looks good and is aimed at a older audience.
---
FFVII=FFVI>FFVIII>FFX>FFIX>FFIV
XIII is...just terrible.
#33grand_kaizerPosted 2/20/2013 2:18:51 AM
CokaineCowboy77 posted...
Thamauturge posted...

How is that funny?

I don't like KH because it's for kids, I want this gane because it looks good and is aimed at a older audience.

Not to take a shot at you personally, but I've always found this sentiment to be one held by, ironically, less mature people. Y'know, that stage everyone goes through where they despise anything kiddy-esque because it doesn't fit with the whole "I'm becoming an adult now" mentality, before they mature a little more and realise it's not so bad to have a soft spot for a little bit of childishness?

Might just be what I've seen of people, but everyone seems to get that one. I mean don't get me wrong, everyone still has days where they prefer God of War to Ni no Kuni, I'm pretty well certain that's a fact, but I don't believe anyone can honestly say there never comes a time when they could stand something that doesn't have as many sharp corners.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#34CokaineCowboy77Posted 2/20/2013 3:08:34 AM
grand_kaizer posted...
CokaineCowboy77 posted...
Thamauturge posted...

How is that funny?

Not to take a shot at you personally, but I've always found this sentiment to be one held by, ironically, less mature people. Y'know, that stage everyone goes through where they despise anything kiddy-esque because it doesn't fit with the whole "I'm becoming an adult now" mentality, before they mature a little more and realise it's not so bad to have a soft spot for a little bit of childishness?

Might just be what I've seen of people, but everyone seems to get that one. I mean don't get me wrong, everyone still has days where they prefer God of War to Ni no Kuni, I'm pretty well certain that's a fact, but I don't believe anyone can honestly say there never comes a time when they could stand something that doesn't have as many sharp corners.

Don't get me wrong; I don't mind a bit of childishness, say the odd cutscene or two, or a childish character like Cait Sith, but KH is aimed specifically at kids, to the point where it's overbearing even if the gameplay is good.
---
FFVII=FFVI>FFVIII>FFX>FFIX>FFIV
XIII is...just terrible.
#35NineSkiysPosted 2/20/2013 8:11:25 AM
Because it keeps being released on portable systems, how am I supposed to keep up with the series when it has a game on every system. Still love KH1, KH2, and BBS though.
---
It's not the great who are strong, It's the strong who are great!
#36MasterShot2k5Posted 2/20/2013 11:58:04 AM
Was one of the best hack n slashes ever, but many the fandom complained it was too cutesy when it first came out. Then they tried to make it darker and now the story sucks massive donkey dick....I cannot help but wonder if some of the fault belongs to the fans for constant request to make it darker.
---
Haters gonna hate......